Who has already been signed to play for Toronto next year?

Manfred Mann

Looks like they'll be doing a NFL-style training camp. Not sure why other teams don't do this TBH, nor why they don't scout the USA for talent, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of guys like Gaddis out there.

I've thrown out the idea before of NRL & SL clubs using partnerships with USARL clubs to train & trial promising locals in US.

Basically and NRL/SL team links withan USARL club or even creates their own and sends talent scouts and development officers over to sign promising players & athletes to trials. The players then play for the USARL clubs on match payments from the NRL/SL club whilst they monitor his progress and either sign him to a contract or cut him loose.

Could effectively turn the USARL in to a semi-pro comp as well as unearthing some American stars.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thrown out the idea before of NRL & SL clubs using partnerships with USARL clubs to train & trial promising locals in US.

Basically and NRL/SL team links withan USARL club or even creates their own and sends talent scouts and development officers over to sign promising players & athletes to trials. The players then play for the USARL clubs on match payments from the NRL/SL club whilst they monitor his progress and either sign him to a contract or cut him loose.

Could effectively turn the USARL in to a semi-pro comp as well as unearthing some American stars.

SL send talent scouts to the US? They can't find the time to send scouts to King's Lynn so no chance with another continent!

Maybe teaching them the absolute basics but USARL clubs would be nowhere near the required standard to train and develop elite pro players.

Maybe teaching them the absolute basics but USARL clubs would be nowhere near the required standard to train and develop elite pro players.

Well firstly the aim would be to develop the standard a bit more, even using the club links for NRL clubs to send over some reserve graders may help. It would take a lot of work but in the end could be huge for the sport.

What will happen if a player has a crim record ?? Will they be allowed in the country to play a game because i'm sure they are really strict on that sort of thing

Not sure, but a work visa isn't needed, so that may not be an issue

186 A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit

• (h) as a participant in sports activities or events, in Canada, either as an individual participant or as a member of a foreign-based team or Canadian amateur team;

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Far to good for Championship 1 like quite a few others they have signed, there are going to be some very embarrassing shorelines in that division next season, and I dread to think what is going to happen to an amateur club in the Challenge Cup.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Far to good for Championship 1 like quite a few others they have signed, there are going to be some very embarrassing shorelines in that division next season, and I dread to think what is going to happen to an amateur club in the Challenge Cup.

More than likely they'll rest some players and give fringe players a chance. Looking forward to seeing them against higher league clubs in the challenge cup!!!

True me the amateur club won't be bothered if there's a free trip to Canada on the cards.

They will coast in a few matches.

rldfsignature.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is great news! By my count Burroughs would be the second American to play in the pro or semi pro UK ranks after Taylor Welch. Clint Newton was born in the U.S but really developed in Australia. Please correct if that is wrong.

I have a vague memory of an American playing for Keighley many years ago, though I can't remember his name.

Archived