01 Sept: Super 8s: Wigan Warriors v Widnes Vikings KO 8pm (TV)

The last 20 minutes of the game was very similar in continuity to a game of Union.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there were far too many errors to term it as a cracker but the tension and drama with the result in doubt until the last minute made it compelling viewing.

A bit like last Saturday at Wembley.

(How many more threads can I sneak mentions of our cup win into I wonder?)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On last night's game:

- compelling viewing. Can they hold on? Surely not... fabulous effort from Widnes. Odd tactics, and their repeated head shots were particularly concerning, if that was a deliberate ploy, but my goodness they are resilient and skillful when they bring their A game;

- Sky mentioned that they brought out a special mug for the first win, they should keep going. They'll have a whole dinner service in a few years with that level of performance;

- I hope that the Widnes fans enjoy that and are sufficiently inspired to turn up for their last home games. For the spirit and skill in the side, they deserve to be followed; and

- it looks like Wane will have coached his last derby. If so, then 25 nil is a good and fitting result to reflect on. It looks like he can develop players and teach coaching - perhaps an NRL defensive coaching position would suit him; and

- it is never less than a privilege to follow the world's best rugby club, but some years are more watchable than others it must be said. Still, when spring '17 comes and Craig Bellamy unveils his new side hope will spring once more!

Yet another occasion this season where you can say that the quality wasn't there but there was no doubt that the entertainment was.  Fantastic character and effort from Widnes in the second half.  I've not seen much of them this year but surely there must be someone out there who would be better than Buchanan.  It was a blessing in disguise when he was off the pitch.  I was also less than impressed with Houston.

Think people are mistaking a defeat for Wigan as a good game.

Rhys Hanbury can now teach Sam Tomkins a thing or two about milking penalties at the play the ball.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

On last night's game:

- compelling viewing. Can they hold on? Surely not... fabulous effort from Widnes. Odd tactics, and their repeated head shots were particularly concerning, if that was a deliberate ploy, but my goodness they are resilient and skillful when they bring their A game;

- Sky mentioned that they brought out a special mug for the first win, they should keep going. They'll have a whole dinner service in a few years with that level of performance;

- I hope that the Widnes fans enjoy that and are sufficiently inspired to turn up for their last home games. For the spirit and skill in the side, they deserve to be followed; and

- it looks like Wane will have coached his last derby. If so, then 25 nil is a good and fitting result to reflect on. It looks like he can develop players and teach coaching - perhaps an NRL defensive coaching position would suit him; and

- it is never less than a privilege to follow the world's best rugby club, but some years are more watchable than others it must be said. Still, when spring '17 comes and Craig Bellamy unveils his new side hope will spring once more!

That's outrageous EW!

You need to get a handle on this. Mugs are not part of a dinner service.

Where was you brung up?

Think people are mistaking a defeat for Wigan as a good game.

Rhys Hanbury can now teach Sam Tomkins a thing or two about milking penalties at the play the ball.

Ultimately sport is meant to be entertaining. This was meant to be a hiding, a team in 7th with little to play for (as we keep getting told over and over) versus a Wigan team hoping to go joint top. The underdog holding on with some heroic defence, despite being down to 11 men for parts of the latter stages was very entertaining to watch, even if it didn't have the champagne rugby.

We are far too demanding of classics in RL, ultimately ignoring the entertainment in front of us.

There were more than enough breaks, big hits, controversial plays, errors etc. to keep me entertained, maybe we need to stop worrying about perceived 'quality' - it is holding us back as a sport imho.

Just call it a hunch but I'm sensing that Wollo Wollo Wayoo didn't care much for the game.....

I fairness I didn't at first and was going to turn off - glad I stuck with it as it ended up being a brilliant watch

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Just call it a hunch but I'm sensing that Wollo Wollo Wayoo didn't care much for the game.....

I'm just getting into the zone, ready for tonight's purgatory at Wheldon Road.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

In a word, pace. Since his leg injury just before he went to NZ he's lost his key asset, his pace off the mark. That, coupled with a decent footballing brain is what set him apart; it gave him a split second of extra thinking time on the ball. Since coming back from another major injury this season he has really struggled to adjust to his lesser capabilities speed wise. He may need some intensive work in the off season to adapt his game accordingly.

I think it's something else too. I don't know what to call it, killer instinct? Maybe just confidence after the injuries. One thing really stood out to me - there was a drop out I think and he collected it just inside his half. Nearest Widnes player was about 20m away (at least). Off he goes, but then, with about 5m to their line, he just stops and starts looking who he could pass it to. There is no way that before he left for the NRL he wouldn't have been attacking that line. 

I think you'll find that the classic Wigan dinner service consists of a dozen mug and various sizes (XL, XXL and upwards) of pie shaped plates , with a groove for the gravy.

You'll be telling us next that people in Wigan have dinner at lunchtime... 

Odd tactics, and their repeated head shots were particularly concerning, if that was a deliberate ploy....

Not quite exiled enough, I see...

grerat to see some of our players getting praised for playing superb against the odds,,that said IMO matt whitely was awesome tonight, and is surely destined for great things a candidate for young player of the season for sure,, big jay chapelhow had a great games as well and is another product of the academy developing into a superb prospect

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

I think it's something else too. I don't know what to call it, killer instinct? Maybe just confidence after the injuries. One thing really stood out to me - there was a drop out I think and he collected it just inside his half. Nearest Widnes player was about 20m away (at least). Off he goes, but then, with about 5m to their line, he just stops and starts looking who he could pass it to. There is no way that before he left for the NRL he wouldn't have been attacking that line.

To be fair, Tomkins usually passes the ball before the first tackle. It's so he can run from dummy half or make a play whilst everyone works back. He's done it for years.
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived