League 1 Predictions

Yes, Toronto top very much a la Toulouse.

Then the Cumbrians and Donny.

And could a bunch of Southern softies breakthrough?

My money is on Coventry Bears, quite literally as I have splashed out on a season ticket for my local team.

There's something really sustainable happening at Butts Park.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even as a fan no way can I see town finishing second . It's been a rip up and rebuild job and we basically still have barely two thirds of a squad and an influx of untried potential . Toronto will win the league , no question imo , and Barrow will be second I'd say as they look very strong stable and well run .

I worry for South Wales.

Yes we have a new ground, identity and structure at the club but for me the playing squad is bottom 4 material.

We've signed Andrew Gay who will arguably be our best player, Richard Jones who will add a bit of grit and the rest are ideal additions.

My issue is that I just don't see enough in recruitment to say we've improved to the extent other sides around have improved.

I'll say ambitious: 12th place finish

Reality: 15th place finish

its not a theory - its a opinion. I said "I doubt" and I base it that on what I have seen from new teams previously in the 60 years I have been alive. No, I don't have any evidence. Do any of the people who have input tables of where they think each club will finish have any evidence to support their wild claims?

It would take something quite incredible for Toronto not to get promoted. Their squad would hold its own in the Championship and I think they'll end up winning every game they play. 

Barrow finished the season very strongly and would have fancied themselves to beat Rochdale had the Hornets not caused that monumental upset in France. I've not seen any of Workington or Whitehaven so I can't form an opinion on them.

For my money York were as good as any side in league 1 last season (other than Toulouse) before their problems. They've lost some key players though and it will be difficult to get that momentum back.

Newcastle have recruited well and could be the surprise package.

1 Toronto 

2 Barrow

3 Whitehaven

4 Doncaster

5 Workington

6 Newcastle

7 York

8 Keighley

9 Hunslet

10 Skolars

11 Crusaders

12 All Golds

13 Coventry

14 Oxford

15 Hemel

16 South Wales  

Regarding the expansion clubs - Skolars did superbly last season and will again benefit from their links with the Broncos. Are Oxford duel regging with Castleford and Batley again? Hemel are hard to predict - might go well with the Dewsbury link up but impossible to predict.

skolars top 8 i feel. side is one year on, coach is one more year experienced. some notable scalps last season and definite underperformance in the super 8s which wont happen again. also first full year of the benefits of arguably the best facilities in the league

arguably the best facilities in the league

?

I can't speak for Toronto but I would say the facilities at WHL are better than Hemel, on a par with Oxford And All Golds and thats about it.

Coventry's ground only has the one stand but the clubhouse is in that stand.

Coventry must also have the best training facilities in Rugby League. We train at the National Prison Officers training centre.

It has a full size Basketball court, a separate fully equipped Gym, a large dojo with fuly padded walls, a golf course and even a cross country running track with gym equipment at strategic intervals. The whole thing is set in a country house in magnificent countryside. There is a coffee bar, a full bar and there are even chandeliers in the meeting room.

Oh, and membership is up too!

http://www.coventrybears.com/blog/memberships-are-go

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Don't want to derail the thread but it seems that Coventry are doing plenty right in building their club.

250% increase in season tickets is great work. Well done! Is there any evidence that Coventry having the recent International double header has resulted in new people being attracted to the Bears?

?

I can't speak for Toronto but I would say the facilities at WHL are better than Hemel, on a par with Oxford And All Golds and thats about it.

Coventry's ground only has the one stand but the clubhouse is in that stand.

Coventry must also have the best training facilities in Rugby League. We train at the National Prison Officers training centre.

It has a full size Basketball court, a separate fully equipped Gym, a large dojo with fuly padded walls, a golf course and even a cross country running track with gym equipment at strategic intervals. The whole thing is set in a country house in magnificent countryside. There is a coffee bar, a full bar and there are even chandeliers in the meeting room.

Oh, and membership is up too!

http://www.coventrybears.com/blog/memberships-are-go

That's very impressive!  Do you have any insight on what's driven the increase?  Do the RFL promote the club to people from the local area who purchased England tickets?  I'd be pushing for that if not. 

Its mostly our work in the community that has brought the increase at the moment.

Bears 5's, Cubs Club and SKY Try in the schools have all raised the extra awareness within the city.

We will be sending out a news letter to local 4 Nations ticket buyers in the new year.

The 4 Nations gave us massive exposure in the local media and now that we know the fixtures we can try and exploit that in the New Year. There is no doubt the Ricoh event has given us some momentum and something to work with.

The RFL havd said they will help within the bounds of data protection so we will work with them on that.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

12. South Wales

13. York City

I'd be astonished if S.Wales finish above York. I think James Ford will have a very good squad put together for York.

Is the League 1 Cup draw being held back until they find a sponsor? I notice that the advert for the summer bash didn't call it the iPro Sport Cup.

From what I've seen, apart from Toronto repeating Toulouse's efforts last year, it'll be very hard to define teams except in very broad terms.

There's a group challenging for the second promotion place (Barrow/Haven/Donny).

There's a lot of mid table obscurity behind that. Probably with the other heartlands clubs plus Skolars, Crusaders, Newcastle and Coventry pushing for places in the top 8. Newcastle have all but confirmed that if they don't make the 8 this season will have been a failure.

As with all the other leagues really, a lot of teams scrambling for not a lot of places.

Archived