Sign in to follow this  
thehullram

Mike Stephenson MBE

Even putting to one side his commentary and unquestionable passion for the game, a World Cup winner in any other sport would have got at least an MBE without any questions asked. Never mind forty-odd years passing.

Well done Stevo.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

In those days if you went and played in Aus. you did not get picked for G.B. That is the reason for only 5 caps.He was not on his own.Tommy Bishop,Cliff Watson,Phil Lowe,Mal Reilly,Brian Lockwood spring to mind.

The lads retired now - he was a good player, won a world cup and theres not many born on these shores left that can say that

His passion kept his commentary alive but its the same with any commentary team, if you don't rotate regularly, even Vossy can get a bit annoying from time to time - Sky have only rotated in the last 2-3 years not the whole 28 he was there for

Genuinely nice and intelligent guy and the medal is well deserved- bit miffed he wasn't knighted actually, apparently you can win a few world titles and the odd Olympic medal but supporting an entire sport as a player and after he finished playing as a historian and philanthropist let alone commentator - no justice in my mind

A big story to be told there if anyone ever gets to do it - his heritage work alone is immense - a true custodian of our sport

MBE well deserved Stevo, I for one think it should have been more

Congratulations!

MLP also mentioned heritage work. He never spouts about that. Good guy in a tough era.

He was a player ahead of his time, dynamic running, try scoring hooker, selected for GB despite playing for Dewsbur, won a World Cup scoring the other try to Clive Sullivan, proved himself in Australia. Didnt like his commentary, but as a player and supporter of the game, a well deserved honour.

Edited by Wakefield Ram

Well deserved award. A fantastic and generous man. Even though his commentary annoyed me at times I wonder how long it will be before someone on here says they miss him when the season starts

An MBE is the least Stevo deserved for his services to charity and Rugby League heritage. Pity it was not a knighthood.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Well deserved award. A fantastic and generous man. Even though his commentary annoyed me at times I wonder how long it will be before someone on here says they miss him when the season starts

I miss him now John.

Its been a long winter.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

In those days if you went and played in Aus. you did not get picked for G.B. That is the reason for only 5 caps.He was not on his own.Tommy Bishop,Cliff Watson,Phil Lowe,Mal Reilly,Brian Lockwood spring to mind.

I'm not sure that's quite true.  IIRC he asked to be released to play for the GB tourists and was refused permission. It wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for the others mentioned too.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

One of the reasons I packed in Sky a few years ago.

However, his passion, knowledge and work for RL heritage and charities are right up their with the best.

A fully deserved award and a great player in his day.

Always immaculately dressed and he certainly knows how to tie a tie!

Congratulations and enjoy your retirement. 

Remember he was the main person trying to promote and preserve the wonderful archives and historical artifacts of our great game when very few were giving a stuff about it.

I like Stevo but he went down the Eddie Waring route and became a cliche-riddled parody of himself that ultimately cheapened RL coverage.

Well deserved MBE though and long overdue

Edited by Man of Kent

I like Stevo but he went down the Eddie Waring route and became a cliche-riddled parody of himself that ultimately cheapened RL coverage.

Well deserved MBE though and long overdue

I'm quite offended by this. Name 1 commentator that isn't full of cliche's? It comes with the job!!! If sports fans know who Stevo is then he's doing a bloody good job.

Either congratulate the bloke or don't bother.

For me the guy was ahead of his time but he also remembered who dug the well from which we all drink.