Gaz Hock - what could be or could've been?

Naturally big, powerful rawboned forward, aggressive, good hands  Still hoping (according to the press) for an England recall.  Is it wishful thinking or could he be the one forward (SB excepted) we have to bust the line, pop a ball up or do something different in the WC?  

Hard to name a prop that causes more problems for opposition in SL.

Succeeding in sport at the elite level is a combination of talent and aptitude. With Hock the former is indisputable and it is the latter that stopped him becoming world class. To say that he should have succeeded without the correct attitude is the same as saying a player would be world class if only he could catch a rugby ball.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Hock is more focused than I've seen for a long time and is definitely one of the form props in the competition. That said there are a lot of very capable forwards eligible for England all vying for the squad this winter and I would be surprised if he broke back into it. For now I'm just happy he's doing the job for us currently. Him and Higham have been rolling back the years.

I thought that he may have struggled this season, but what a transformation, he is looking leaner, by his performances and game time no doubt he his far far fitter than he has been in the last couple of seasons at Leigh, and his spontaneity reaction at being niggled has seemingly developed a count to 5 approach and he is using that aggression for his next drive or tackle, if he keeps up this form and stays injury free it would be an injustice not to at least be considered for a call up, he has probably, no defiantly Got the better of his property forward opponents this season.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Hock is more focused than I've seen for a long time and is definitely one of the form props in the competition. That said there are a lot of very capable forwards eligible for England all vying for the squad this winter and I would be surprised if he broke back into it. For now I'm just happy he's doing the job for us currently. Him and Higham have been rolling back the years.

Don't forget to include Hansen and Tickle in that roll back Rob.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

13 minutes ago, GaryO said:

I thought that he may have struggled this season, but what a transformation, he is looking leaner, by his performances and game time no doubt he his far far fitter than he has been in the last couple of seasons at Leigh, and his spontaneity reaction at being niggled has seemingly developed a count to 5 approach and he is using that aggression for his next drive or tackle, if he keeps up this form and stays injury free it would be an injustice not to at least be considered for a call up, he has probably, no defiantly Got the better of his property forward opponents this season.

I must admit I also thought he'd struggle,  in hindsight I think he was a bit bored and maybe frustrated in the championship. He's certainly come back with the bit between his teeth.

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Dads Army 

" They don't like it up them " 

Yeah, there's at least 4 of them performing like Jamie Peacock was doing in his last 3 or 4 years at Leeds, leading by example, rolling back time and seemingly enjoying the experience and just as importantly the team spirit which is very very evident.

7 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Yeah, there's at least 4 of them performing like Jamie Peacock was doing in his last 3 or 4 years at Leeds, leading by example, rolling back time and seemingly enjoying the experience and just as importantly the team spirit which is very very evident.

We retired Jamie in 2014

1 hour ago, GaryO said:

Didnt England send him home in disgrace.... hard to come back from that...

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

For England read Steve MacNamara, you know the same guy who said "I will pick players in form" then names players who are going to occupy key positions 8 months before the tournament starts.

Would Hock have made a difference to that England team? We will never know the answer to that!

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

We retired Jamie in 2014

Did we?

I would say he was one of the best players in the country in 2015.

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Didn't Josh Hodgson get sent home from the England squad for messing about with someone's door? You can bounce back if you play well enough.

As for Hock, if he can keep himself out of trouble, and carries on playing like he's doing right now, why not?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, GaryO said:

For England read Steve MacNamara, you know the same guy who said "I will pick players in form" then names players who are going to occupy key positions 8 months before the tournament starts.

Would Hock have made a difference to that England team? We will never know the answer to that!

Can't have that mate.  Gaz got caught out and paid the price.  The other option is to give them free reign and do nothing.  That's been done before with dire consequences.

But, if I had to back a SL prop, in the oppositions 20, to bust a tackle and pop good ball up to support, my money would be on him.  

You have to see how he goes across the season - if he plays well enough, consider him. His temperament should be factored in so he'll have to play better than the other props to get in.

I don't think he's the only line buster though. The Burgesses, Hill and Taylor make good breaks. But Hock has better hands once he breaks.

Hock's England ship has long since sailed. His on and off-field behaviour including the way he behaved during his last England camp mean I seriously doubt Bennett will even bother looking at him for the WC.

The guys a serious liability and would you really want to be 12,000 miles from home and have a player who could completely destabilise the whole camp ? Besides which he hasn't shown any international form for many years.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Hock has probably played as many tests as he deserved to. What could have been? Well that's another story. In 2006 he was unstoppable as a young enforcer with superb ball skills. As many have said on here now, his time has passed but Leigh may get a couple of golden years from him before he hangs up his boots.

35 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Hock's England ship has long since sailed. His on and off-field behaviour including the way he behaved during his last England camp mean I seriously doubt Bennett will even bother looking at him for the WC.

The guys a serious liability and would you really want to be 12,000 miles from home and have a player who could completely destabilise the whole camp ? Besides which he hasn't shown any international form for many years.

Nobby took Sean Long.

As a player he was an outstanding prospect, should have gone on to be a mainstay in a top team and at international level. But he`s an idiot, a liability. He`s currently doing very well, but its only a matter of time before he lets himself and his team down again.

25 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Nobby took Sean Long.

And never played international again after what happened on that tour.

Unfortunately for Hock, front row is one area we're particularly strong in so there's no pressure to take a risk with someone like him just to make up the numbers. The likes of Graham, Hill, the Burgess boys and Watts are all ahead of him in the pecking order and barring injury to a few of these there's little need to even consider someone with Hock's record.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

he'll have to play better than the other props to get in.

That's a real moot point Tonka, not only as far as prop is concerned but all positions.

As far as I am concerned, and it is my opinion, in International selection in RL there has been too many occasions when guys are playing better than their contempories, players who are left stood on the pavement waving the bus away loaded with personnel who have not "played better"

Hocks happy and enjoying life. Great spirit at Leigh, great unity at all levels - something unheard of in my lifetime watching the club. We forget he is 33ish about the age most of us grew up, just that he was a little higher profile than most when having his brain farts. I am more than happy to see him giving his all for us with a smile on his face, if he continues with the form he has showed and forces himself into contention then its a win win

Archived