Are tickets to Championship matches too expensive?

After watching Hornets v Swinton yesterday  I reckon whatever it costs it was money well spent. I get a season ticket every year knowing I'm going to miss at least 3 or 4 home games because we have a long summer break in Spain. They are my choices I know but I reckon the Club needs the money more than I do.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, redditchbulldog said:

Batley did one last season where it was 7 games for £70 which i got as a shift worker and also 130 mile away, was pointless getting a full season ticket as can't make every game, but for some reason didn't do one this season

I hate to be an apologist for Championship clubs but many (most?) of them are run by one or two full-time staff. The logistics of running a flexi-ticket scheme are beyond the capacity of most of them, and the benefits to the clubs would be marginal at best.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:18 PM, Konkrete said:

Fair challenge, happy to be wrong, but that's how I see it at the moment... What actions have either club taken in the last 2/3yrs to display these ambitions are backed by an actual action plan rather than being having a hopeful board/owner?  The transition from PT to FT being crucial and the experience of how Leigh managed it being our main points of reference.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I can't speak for Halifax but Fev certainly have SL ambitions and the GM said as much in LE today. Do you want to see an actual documented plan as I'm not sure any clubs really produce those, at least not for public consumption. 

Around 2012 Fev had the Destination Super League plan, which involved having a successful team and a stadium worthy of SL to gain a licence in 2014. The stadium was enhanced as I'm sure you're aware and the team did very well in that period until licencing was scrapped and P&R brought back.

With the 8s, the plan is now to build slowly and not throw stupid money at it like Sheffield did. Reaching the 8's was the first goal to bring in extra revenue. A better squad was bought this year with the aim of finishing higher up the 8's and getting more funding. The next step is likely to go full time (or part full time if that makes sense) to maybe push for a million pound game slot before having a real tilt the season after if promotion hasn't happened.

Alongside this there have been numerous off field improvements such as womens team, catering, marketing, website, game coverage, training facilities and back office staff that are all geared to getting the club up to SL standard. It would be an odd approach if all this was just to float around in the championship and the destination super league campaign had been thrown in the bin because of a move from licencing to P&R.

Just because the team is part-time today doesn't mean the plan isn't to try and get promotion down the line. It's unlikely that Fev or Fax will get promoted this year but Fev would certainly take it if it came along as I'm sure Fax would. I'm sure you'll agree that building slowly is the best approach rather than going all out ###### or bust. 

Of course this is extremely difficult when the RFL can't tell us what the plan is next season, let alone in 3 or more years time, but that's another thread.

I'd also add to Tex's comments that there are quite a few initiatives going on to generate non rugby related income streams, not least through use of the largish area of land the Club owns (approx. 17 acres I believe).

Swinton Lions who I think you may be aware of are in strife and the club offer reduced admission to any Super league season ticket holder but God forbid would a Super League Club fan even consider watching lowly Championship teams, some tv coverage may help raise profile I think...........who I have to say put just as much effort and passion into the game whilst holding weekday jobs not resting or visiting the pyshios or light training etc lol . Come along guys and see our games starting this Sunday v Dewsbury

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd also add to Tex's comments that there are quite a few initiatives going on to generate non rugby related income streams, not least through use of the largish area of land the Club owns (approx. 17 acres I believe).

Some fair points from you both there.  Building a club slowly and carefully on solid foundations is of course the way to go.  But I still feel that, from what you say, Fev are hopeful of SL rather than driving at it.  If SL is the goal then really your leader so make it known, so that everyone at the club knows the objective and the timetable.  In terms of aiming for SL Tex says that 'GM said as much' in LE this week.  Which for me probably is a fair indicator of where I'm coming from.

For Fev and Fax, moving to SL without serious funding would be a massive upheaval and have potential long term consequences without the protection of licensing.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

On 10/07/2017 at 7:24 PM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

After watching Hornets v Swinton yesterday  I reckon whatever it costs it was money well spent. I get a season ticket every year knowing I'm going to miss at least 3 or 4 home games because we have a long summer break in Spain. They are my choices I know but I reckon the Club needs the money more than I do.

Certain clubs of a different code of rugby offer ticket swaps for season ticket holders.

Basically, if as a SS ticket holder you can't make a game you let them know and they swap your seat for that game for another of your choice. So if you miss a game you get a free ticket for another game to bring a friend for free.

I have never seen that happen in RL, but seems a great way of ensuring ST holders get a good deal and introduce some others to the sport as well.

4 hours ago, Konkrete said:

Some fair points from you both there.  Building a club slowly and carefully on solid foundations is of course the way to go.  But I still feel that, from what you say, Fev are hopeful of SL rather than driving at it.  If SL is the goal then really your leader so make it known, so that everyone at the club knows the objective and the timetable.  In terms of aiming for SL Tex says that 'GM said as much' in LE this week.  Which for me probably is a fair indicator of where I'm coming from.

For Fev and Fax, moving to SL without serious funding would be a massive upheaval and have potential long term consequences without the protection of licensing.

I'm sure he is to his staff behind closed doors. He doesn't have to broadcast it to you or me. He has openly said he wants SL football and I think this approach is sound. The chairman puts money in and is actively pursuing additional revenue streams. whether he is successful or not is another matter but it is a firm goal with associated plan which is paying off up to now, not a hope as you suggest. Having a massive backer shouldn't be the only route and is barely a plan in itself, although clearly it helps. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 09/07/2017 at 4:15 AM, goldcoaster said:

I read allot about the financial situations of many Championship clubs and when you see their crowd figures (one of the main sources of income) are numbered in the hundreds, it's no wonder why. I had a look to see how much it costs to go to Championship match and IMO, it is far too expensive for what you are getting. To pay £15-17 to watch a club like Hunslet, Swinton or Dewsbury play is exorbitant when you consider (with the greatest of respect):

(a) they have virtually no chance of ever being promoted; and

(b) there are several Super League clubs within spitting distance of them. These clubs only charge around £25 for top class rugby.

IMO, £7-10 is the max they should charge. This should entice some SL fans to check out some lower-league rugby on a Sunday and grow the supporter base

Do you guys think Championship tickets are too expensive?

With respect i think you are talking utter tripe.

Of course champ.clubs don't charge too much.What's 17 pounds these days.

Champ clubs need every penny they  get as of course do the players,who are mostly semi pros.

I'm amazed that so many have survived with they have been treated like keighley and Hunslet to name just a few.

My club Dewsbury have had poor season and seaons over the years but they have been worth every penny.

Millions have  been wasted on places like london that aren't into RL.

Then super dooper league have done a good job with Bradford haven't they.  

Batley also have an offer whereby season ticket holders of any SL team can get in for £5 to all of our home games.  

There have been a few take up the offer over the season, I've see a couple of regular Rhino's and Giants fans coming to games, but nothing like the numbers I would have expected. Beer and Food prices are also very reasonable. Most visiting fans rave about the food quality too.

The food was shocking on my last visit to the H&S nightmare that is mount unpleasant, the restricted exits are dangerous imo.

On topic, SL ambition can only be built on income and in the championship for any period of time that will invariably come from external sources (owners) able to put together a team that can start making the transition. You cant draw 1-2000 gates and say you are 'building' to SL without huge losses or a philanthropic owner

On 10/07/2017 at 1:07 AM, Northern Eel said:

I think the problem is the lack of value in a season ticket. With most clubs, unless you are a very frequent attender, it's simply not worth the punt. Take my club Batley for example; miss 3 games, and you've pretty much wiped out any advantage. And, we have t remember that this is, essentially a semi-professional sport (in the most part, for the Championship). £17 is steep when you look at it like that, IMO.

The grub at the Mount is fantastic and very fairly priced. When my crew go, we always buy food and get a couple of pints. The club sees all of that cash back. Because of the admission prices, that isn't as regular as we'd like. Once we've factored in the return journey from Notts, it starts to stack up.

Do they only sell full season tickets and single match tickets or do they have options like 3, 6 or 9 match passes?

TBH I don't know what Fev charge, I buy a season ticket.  It might be £18 or £16 if bought in advance.

I don't think £20 for championship rugby would be out of the way though.  It's a great way of spending a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon.

I get really sick of seeing posts suggesting that no one can afford the entry price.  Twenty quid really isn't a lot of money these days.  It's about 5 pints in the average pub, or 2 and a bit packets of fags.

I would happily take my 3 kids to ad hoc championship matches as love any RL but the prices do put me off

Saying that Superleague tickets are also too expensive these days.

The real value in any RL tickets is found in the Magic weekend or end of season internationals which are priced very competitively.

8 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

TBH I don't know what Fev charge, I buy a season ticket.  It might be £18 or £16 if bought in advance.

I don't think £20 for championship rugby would be out of the way though.  It's a great way of spending a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon.

I get really sick of seeing posts suggesting that no one can afford the entry price.  Twenty quid really isn't a lot of money these days.  It's about 5 pints in the average pub, or 2 and a bit packets of fags.

9 pints in my local David

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

10 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

The food was shocking on my last visit to the H&S nightmare that is mount unpleasant.

Try eat before you visit then in 2018

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Won't be going again to that hostile, unsafe hole again. Disaster waiting to happen imo

I'm not quite sure why you seem to have some ulterior motive in running us down, but I'd rather you stuck to facts rather than spouting untruths based upon your apparent axe to grind.

Maybe you haven't visited since we built the new terracing around the ground or the 3 covered stands, which are better than those at most SL grounds.  

To say the ground is unsafe is frankly laughable. 

15 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I'm not quite sure why you seem to have some ulterior motive in running us down, but I'd rather you stuck to facts rather than spouting untruths based upon your apparent axe to grind.

Maybe you haven't visited since we built the new terracing around the ground or the 3 covered stands, which are better than those at most SL grounds.  

To say the ground is unsafe is frankly laughable. 

imo the funnel exiting/entering the covered end is too small, especially as the other funnel is closed off to let the players leave the pitch after the game. In an emergency I believe this to be an issue and surprised it hasn't been picked up by the local council. The ageing supporter base are getting as bad as Whitehaven in the main stand.

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

imo the funnel exiting/entering the covered end is too small, especially as the other funnel is closed off to let the players leave the pitch after the game. In an emergency I believe this to be an issue and surprised it hasn't been picked up by the local council. The ageing supporter base are getting as bad as Whitehaven in the main stand.

I think you might have missed the gates situated in the perimeter fencing which are manned by stewards, in front of the walkway stairs up the stands, should there be an emergency, these would allow instant access to the field. I say it is laughable because if you knew anything about Kirklees council, you would know they are probably the most rigorous safety conscious council going. Long before you left Hilton Park which your council deemed fit to use, with wooden stands and insufficient crash barriers etc., our ground had to be almost entirely rebuilt to comply with all of the regulations they put in place, or they would have condemned it. Bearing in mind even before all of the changes, it was a better and safer ground than the likes of Odsal, Wakefield and Castleford and as you well know they are all still being used. If Kirklees had been the council in charge of them,  there would be no way any of them would be allowed to play games at there current respective homes, they'd have had to sort them out by now or play elsewhere.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but most of us are a very friendly lot, next time you're over, pop in to the family seated stand, we're all quite a good bunch in there. Surely, you must understand all clubs have a small minority of fans who tend to get a little carried away in there "support". I remember going to Leigh and witnessed pints of urine being thrown from the stand by your supporters at the fans below. Yet, I've never heard of anything like that from anyone at the Mount, you are the only person I have ever come across as ever describing it as hostile. 

I'm still intrigued by your apparent axe to grind though, why would a Leigh supporter have "Non-Batley" on your avatar? Is it because no matter how good a side you thought you had, we always managed to get the better of you and it is a little bit of sour grapes? 

9 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I think you might have missed the gates situated in the perimeter fencing which are manned by stewards, in front of the walkway stairs up the stands, should there be an emergency, these would allow instant access to the field. I say it is laughable because if you knew anything about Kirklees council, you would know they are probably the most rigorous safety conscious council going. Long before you left Hilton Park which your council deemed fit to use, with wooden stands and insufficient crash barriers etc., our ground had to be almost entirely rebuilt to comply with all of the regulations they put in place, or they would have condemned it. Bearing in mind even before all of the changes, it was a better and safer ground than the likes of Odsal, Wakefield and Castleford and as you well know they are all still being used. If Kirklees had been the council in charge of them,  there would be no way any of them would be allowed to play games at there current respective homes, they'd have had to sort them out by now or play elsewhere.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but most of us are a very friendly lot, next time you're over, pop in to the family seated stand, we're all quite a good bunch in there. Surely, you must understand all clubs have a small minority of fans who tend to get a little carried away in there "support". I remember going to Leigh and witnessed pints of urine being thrown from the stand by your supporters at the fans below. Yet, I've never heard of anything like that from anyone at the Mount, you are the only person I have ever come across as ever describing it as hostile. 

I'm still intrigued by your apparent axe to grind though, why would a Leigh supporter have "Non-Batley" on your avatar? Is it because no matter how good a side you thought you had, we always managed to get the better of you and it is a little bit of sour grapes? 

it's  because they are having a terrible season ,got rid of some of their best players and coming straight back down,no probs!

Archived