Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Job hunting

20 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

New productivity rules - you have minus 1 day to deliver all the xmas post

Line up over there to pick up your magic sleigh

Does changing jobs fairly regular (not weeks or anything silly but a year or so) get viewed as a good thing by employers....or bad? ie staying power issues. I’ve been offered another job but have been in my current one less than a year (I quite like my job but new one might be better). Are you seen as unreliable by employers if so? 

22 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Does changing jobs fairly regular (not weeks or anything silly but a year or so) get viewed as a good thing by employers....or bad? ie staying power issues. I’ve been offered another job but have been in my current one less than a year (I quite like my job but new one might be better). Are you seen as unreliable by employers if so? 

It is less of a stigma these days, as long as your reasons for moving on are sound, not only according to you, but also according to your previous employers when they are asked.

In some lines of work, moving from company to company is a way of promotion if those companies aren't big enough to have regular internal promotion opportunities.

And the younger generations haven't grown up in the long-term one-job mentality that older folk have. Mind you, some employers are looking for a longer commitment in certain positions and won't appreciate it if you start looking around after only a year or two.

• Thanks 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

2 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

New productivity rules - you have minus 1 day to deliver all the xmas post

with the help of Santa

Sorry, should've read 25.11.19-24(ish).12.19

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

And todays Interview went ok. I was quite pleased with some of the answers I regurgitated from previous interviews, I looked smart too, Suit trousers, White Shirt, Blue striped tie, and black wool Vee neck jumper. After my last interview (Where I had the full suit on), I looked at myself in the mirror, and realised because I have lost so much weight, the jacket looked like I had borrowed it from a mate 4 stone heavier

• Like 3

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Depends on industry

Sales roles it makes the sales directors worry you talk a good talk but can't back it up so have to keep moving around project management roles they know people move when projects wind up so as long as you can show you have seen things to a natural end less stigma, 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

In my game - the public sector - its pretty much always seen as bad. Looks flighty and non committal unless it's a promotion / major explainable role change 

I gather in the private sector tje opposite is true but not sure 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

If I look at the Linkedin of my managers and directors, they all pretty much move around every 2-3 years or so.  Some internal and some to a new company.  Seems some companies see it as a good thing.  

• Thanks 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 31/10/2019 at 08:56, Bleep1673 said:

I need not have worried. Confirmation of a Christmas Royal Mail Sorting job arrived this morning, start date 25.11.19 to (approx) 24.11.19

Oh, ######. Just realised, not only do I have to sort out Christmas mail, we've got bloody postal votes to deal with now as well.

• Haha 1

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

On 31/10/2019 at 17:56, Johnoco said:

In some professions, like I.T, its the norm these days and almost expected.

On 31/10/2019 at 08:56, Bleep1673 said:

I need not have worried. Confirmation of a Christmas Royal Mail Sorting job arrived this morning, start date 25.11.19 to (approx) 24.11.19

Despite written confirmation, and a payroll number, when I turned up for work yesterday I was told it was a mistake, and I was never down to work at Hastings Delivery Office. When the manager contacted area office, there was no record of me on their system.

So I am back to being unemployed. I will be going to take "advice" from the local CAB.

• Sad 1

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

20 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Despite written confirmation, and a payroll number, when I turned up for work yesterday I was told it was a mistake, and I was never down to work at Hastings Delivery Office. When the manager contacted area office, there was no record of me on their system.

So I am back to being unemployed. I will be going to take "advice" from the local CAB.

I'm sorry to hear that, that is absolutely terrible and awful behaviour from the Royal Mail.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

That is diabolical. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I was talking to someone last night, and she suggested going to Eastbourne, which was where I originally applied for, before being sandbagged into Hastings, and find out if I was expected there.

• Like 1

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Print of every Email and collect all correspondence - take them with you in a folder. It might make an HR type realise they have c**ked up and sort things out. By the way a verbal offer is as enforceable as a written one it is just harder to prove so any and all correspondence referencing you starting is evidence you had been made an offer of employment.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2019 at 10:14, Bleep1673 said:

I was talking to someone last night, and she suggested going to Eastbourne, which was where I originally applied for, before being sandbagged into Hastings, and find out if I was expected there.

Nope.

• Sad 1

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Starting the new year off to a good start. I have a telephone interview this morning, and a face-to-face interview tomorrow, with different people.

Update: Got refused telephone interview job because I couldn't supply 5 years worth of references.

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 3

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Interview: So, David, do you have any questions for us?
Me: Yes, why did YOU want to work for AXA? Cue look of horror on interviewers faces. Ha ha ha

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Hmm....there are maybe better ways of going about things. I guess by then you already knew you wouldn't get the job.  Are you sure you wanted it anyway?

Four legs good - two legs bad

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

Hmm....there are maybe better ways of going about things. I guess by then you already knew you wouldn't get the job.  Are you sure you wanted it anyway?

Yes I want the job, that's why I have applied with the same company 3 times

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

I am arsey, so what? Maybe that's what they are looking for. Maybe desk jockies. Maybes idiots who don't have an opinion.

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

59 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am arsey, so what? Maybe that's what they are looking for. Maybe desk jockies. Maybes idiots who don't have an opinion.

I have a large team to manage and do regular interviews. A touch of humour or a 'side' can be OK but any arsey-ness is a flag to be honest

Managing people is part of all leaders jobs and arsey people just make my job harder

Play the game Bleep and be arsey after you've got the job at least

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I have a large team to manage and do regular interviews. A touch of humour or a 'side' can be OK but any arsey-ness is a flag to be honest

Managing people is part of all leaders jobs and arsey people just make my job harder

Play the game Bleep and be arsey after you've got the job at least

If I was given the job, I would play the game. Then I would be Arsey at a much later date. Just give me the opportunity.

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones