Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Barrow raising money for Toronto trip

2 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

I was out there a month ago. 

I managed to get lunch (pasta, salads - proper food) for approximately $10 (£6.50) per day.

We landed on Thursday afternoon and departed late Sunday evening. Toronto put a lovely meal on for us on the Thursday night so I didn't have to spend anything that night.

Over the weekend I spent $80 (£50) on food.

Not one member of our squad, or staff, moaned about having to shell out £50-70 on food.

I cannot believe what I'm reading here I really can't. 

What a post. 

Really puts this thread and the complaints of certain clubs and fans to bed.

Glad you had a good time.

Amazing what can be done with the right frame of mind.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

It's not an issue of finances, all clubs are hard up for cash. It's an issue of certain clubs (or maybe just certain club officials) who are more interested in finding things to complain about than actually doing what they are supposed to be doing. It was obvious from the start that Toronto would not go through a season in this division without someone finding some reason that the whole thing was a farce and the RFL a disgrace etc. Just the same as Toulouse last year, now being held up as a model of hospitality, who were called 'toxic' at the time. It's the bitter, insular, backwards and self-defeating mentality of people involved with the sport at this level.seems t I'm not talking about the fans raising money, good on them for wanting to help even if it o be misplaced. I'm talking about the club officials themselves who caused this situation in the first place. It's pathetic and embarrassing for everyone concerned.

3 minutes ago, TMF said:

Not at all John. You'll find that supporters of most clubs outside of that league, and i talk to a lot of travelling supporters, and supporters when I go away, hate the way the money is distributed to clubs. We now have, and well done to them, Hull KR supporters having to fund players air fares. Hull KR for Gods sake. Doesn't that tell you something is fundamentally wrong?

Should KR be signing players who they can't afford to fly over? 

Is that the clubs or the RFL's fault if they can't live within their means.

This is what that numbskull from Barrow wrote.

At the time of writing our team featured the top scorer in the whole bloody division, plus three players that had just been called up to the Wales train-on squad for the World Cup.

Is it any wonder they're struggling when you have someone like this basically telling the reader to not bother turning up?

thumbnail_Image-1.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I don't think it's either Matt. Sounds like the club wanted him but couldn't afford to fly him over because they wanted to live within their means so those pesky supporters decided to help the club out. I wish supporters would just keep out of the picture. We would all be better off without them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

This is what that numbskull from Barrow wrote.

At the time of writing our team featured the top scorer in the whole bloody division, plus three players that had just been called up to the Wales train-on squad for the World Cup.

Is it any wonder they're struggling when you have someone like this basically telling the reader to not bother turning up?

thumbnail_Image-1.jpg

We are our own worst enemy in our sports growth and expansion 

I agree Matt. That was stupid.

Just now, TMF said:

I don't think it's either Matt. Sounds like the club wanted him but couldn't afford to fly him over because they wanted to live within their means so those pesky supporters decided to help the club out. I wish supporters would just keep out of the picture. We would all be better off without them.

I have no issue with fans raising money. But should a multi millionaire owner of a large pro club be asking for hand outs to fly a player over.

And don't complain about your hand from the RFL if you are signing players you can't afford.

Three years ago I'd never seen a full game of rugby league. 

Now if I've got a free Sunday afternoon I'll be listening to Batley v Swinton on the radio while refreshing Twitter for the latest scores.

There's no sport like it. The players are as brave as lions yet have the grace and dexterity of olympic gymnasts.

The supporters are magnificent. Everyone pulls together in times of crisis. 

Yet the governance at the very top, and certain individuals like that cretin from Barrow, are killing the sport. They simply cannot grasp the fact that the sport will cease to exist without the likes of Toronto and London being successful. Rugby league has a rich and famous history but unless it drags itself into the 21st century its days are numbered. 

• Like 3

If they are asking for money to help thier academy or to pay the clubs bills if they are close to a cliff edge then fine.

But to fly a luxury player whom you have probaby paid a large wedge too is not a worthwhile charity nor is to pay for a night out in Toronto.

Just now, Mattrhino said:

I have no issue with fans raising money. But should a multi millionaire owner of a large pro club be asking for hand outs to fly a player over.

And don't complain about your hand from the RFL if you are signing players you can't afford.

Did he ask for a handout? Or did the supporters just respond? Must be a reason for that. Hey, who said i'm complaining? Just stating a fact to put things in perspective in defence of lower clubs. And again, who said we couldn't afford it? Never seen that mentioned anywhere. We tend to live within our means.

Just now, TMF said:

Did he ask for a handout? Or did the supporters just respond? Must be a reason for that. Hey, who said i'm complaining? Just stating a fact to put things in perspective in defence of lower clubs. And again, who said we couldn't afford it? Never seen that mentioned anywhere. We tend to live within our means.

Really no offence intended. But how exactly did the fans one day just decide that they would make it their business to fly new signings over to the club?  

Well if you asking for charity to facilitate a purchase then you usually are unable to afford it.

4 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

If they are asking for money to help thier academy or to pay the clubs bills if they are close to a cliff edge then fine.

But to fly a luxury player whom you have probaby paid a large wedge too is not a worthwhile charity nor is to pay for a night out in Toronto.

Matt. Who are you talking about here? Barrow have never paid a large wedge to fly anybody from anywhere. What night in Toronto? You're loosing me. Or are you talking about Hull KR? And who is asking for what?

Just now, TMF said:

Matt. Who are you talking about here? Barrow have never paid a large wedge to fly anybody from anywhere. What night in Toronto? You're loosing me. Or are you talking about Hull KR? And who is asking for what?

I'm using both as examples. The post was quite easy to follow.

This thread has turned into one of those examples of if you repeat something enough then you believe it's true.

Just for clarity - BARROW RAIDERS HAVE NOT ASKED FOR MONEY TOWARDS THEIR TRIP. THEY HAVE NOT MADE ANY COMMENT ABOUT THE COST OR ANY OTHER ISSUE.

All that has happened is that a group of their fans have decided to raise a bit of money to help their club out. That does not mean that the club needs the money, although I'm sure they'll be grateful to their fans for it. So why the club are getting stick for something they are not involved in is beyond me.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Thanks Derwent, in a nutshell.

5 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I'm using both as examples. The post was quite easy to follow.

I get it now Matt, sorry. But again, it's just supporters deciding to help their club, for whatever reason, it doesn't matter. I just wish we had your support and resources. I don't think you realise how hard it is for us semi's and fans. 

5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

This thread has turned into one of those examples of if you repeat something enough then you believe it's true.

Just for clarity - BARROW RAIDERS HAVE NOT ASKED FOR MONEY TOWARDS THEIR TRIP. THEY HAVE NOT MADE ANY COMMENT ABOUT THE COST OR ANY OTHER ISSUE.

All that has happened is that a group of their fans have decided to raise a bit of money to help their club out. That does not mean that the club needs the money, although I'm sure they'll be grateful to their fans for it. So why the club are getting stick for something they are not involved in is beyond me.

This has been replied to numerous times.

Surely some action or comments from the club must have sparked the fans into this action. 

There has been a lot of rhetoric from the Barrow club toward Toronto.

4 minutes ago, TMF said:

I get it now Matt, sorry. But again, it's just supporters deciding to help their club, for whatever reason, it doesn't matter. I just wish we had your support and resources. I don't think you realise how hard it is for us semi's and fans. 

I really do emphasise and thank everyone who puts in a shift for our sport. But I also think some clubs rhetoric and attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

And that the £3,000 (it seems to have increased) raised by the kind Barrow fans could go to better use than paying for a slap up meal and night out for club.

1 hour ago, Sportacus! said:

1. Paper plates are fine - nice find in the link! What about pans?! They don't do plastic of those! £££

2. Full board (as stated by bearman who was at the meeting) does not equate to a bed and breakfast. 

3. TWP promised the world. We dealt with it and yes we're disappointed, and scraped the cash together like every other club did having not factored it in. 

4. Were doing it TWICE what supporter would want £4k to be spent on food and travel when we can put it towards a new signing next year?!

5. Supporters will do anything for the club, well done guys and girls. 

6. Mattrhino calculated food to be £25x 25staff xtwice a day.... we were there 4days. Work that out.

7. Some players work shifts, so yes they may have to take 4 days holiday

8. JohnWP makes an alarming point, we're playing in September - where are we staying if the uni halls are full of students?? 

9. Well done again supporters!!!

In that case you shouldn't be in the competition 

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

I was out there a month ago. 

I managed to get lunch (pasta, salads - proper food) for approximately $10 (£6.50) per day.

We landed on Thursday afternoon and departed late Sunday evening. Toronto put a lovely meal on for us on the Thursday night so I didn't have to spend anything that night.

Over the weekend I spent $80 (£50) on food.

Not one member of our squad, or staff, moaned about having to shell out £50-70 on food.

I cannot believe what I'm reading here I really can't. 

Perhaps the idea of pasta and salads is alien.

I don't know what club you support, but my club's experience was fantastic, and great for morale. We took two hundred fans who had an unforgettable experience.

13 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

This has been replied to numerous times.

Surely some action or comments from the club must have sparked the fans into this action. 

There has been a lot of rhetoric from the Barrow club toward Toronto.

And Matt it has been said numerous times this has nothing to do with the club even with a post from the fundraising team who confirmed that. Yet you choose not to believe it and continue to rant and rage against the club who have done nothing towards this thread. 

To put this to bed can you dig out what the Barrow club have said/done regarding this as your post clearly implies they have. Or are you making it up to suit your stance

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

And Matt it has been said numerous times this has nothing to do with the club even with a post from the fundraising team who confirmed that. Yet you choose not to believe it and continue to rant and rage against the club who have done nothing towards this thread. 

To put this to bed can you dig out what the Barrow club have said/done regarding this as your post clearly implies they have. Or are you making it up to suit your stance

You are correct.

However people legitimately took exception to the wording of the release, and it does have the barrow logo on it.

But the response by various people subsequently has been pretty damning and indicative of the kind of attitudes that diminish the values of the sport, as well as making Barrow look as though their standards of professionalism aren't that great.

Edited by Tongs ya bas
  • Like 1