Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Barrow raising money for Toronto trip

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

A bus on two whole days? 

Visas not an issue? There had better not be after the last embarrassing fiasco

Food and drink: Toronto is a world class tourist destination. People would give a kidney to visit the place with free travel and accommodation.

 

A bus to take you to the airport on the way out. Barrow to Manchester

Then another bus on the day you come back. Glasgow to Barrow.

Thats a return trip on two occasions 

Try phoning a few bus companies and get quotes.


Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bob8 said:

True.  Card carrying Little Englander.  

It is in my ID folder, together with my US driving licence, Swiss residence permit, Irish passport and Danish ID card.

you xenophobe :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

True.

I have only lived in a couple of states in the USA, Belgium, Switzerland, UK, and Denmark!  And only speak a few languages.  

I bow to your greater worldliness.

That said, I imagine many Americans would be offended that you take IHOP and Applebees as representative of proper American food.

Blumin eck . None are five star dining Im saying they are all pretty relative and good enough for 20 odd mid twenty year old working class blokes to feed on especially if the majority live on Nandos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bearman said:

A bus to take you to the airport on the way out. Barrow to Manchester

Then another bus on the day you come back. Glasgow to Barrow.

Thats a return trip on two occasions 

Try phoning a few bus companies and get quotes.

This is the thing.

Overalll, Toronto's entry had been fantastic.  Some clubs have really been able to capitalize on it and mitigate the extra complication.  I personally do not think the impact of the extra trouble detracts from TWP being fantasitic for the game.

  • Like 2

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

A bus to take you to the airport on the way out. Barrow to Manchester

Then another bus on the day you come back. Glasgow to Barrow.

Thats a return trip on two occasions 

Try phoning a few bus companies and get quotes.

This is professional sport we are talking here. Other clubs have managed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

True.  Card carrying Little Englander.  

It is in my ID folder, together with my US driving licence, Swiss residence permit, Irish passport and Danish ID card.

Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Blumin eck . None are five star dining Im saying they are all pretty relative and good enough for 20 odd mid twenty year old working class blokes to feed on especially if the majority live on Nandos.

Not really.  You claimed your restaurant review was definitive and that I was a little Englander.  You then had your bum served to you on a plate.

It is still more appetizing that IHOP.


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Not really.  You claimed your restaurant review was definitive and that I was a little Englander.  You then had your bum served to you on a plate.

It is still more appetizing that IHOP.

Ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Not really.  You claimed your restaurant review was definitive and that I was a little Englander.  You then had your bum served to you on a plate.

It is still more appetizing that IHOP.

I wish him luck eating his bum, but personally, I would much rather eat Wendy's.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an independent supporters group trying to do their bit to support the club.Dont other clubs supporters do the same by raising funds to support their clubs to buy or sponsor players etc.To me those people who are slating our club should get their facts right before posting rubbish on here

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, benji27 said:

This is an independent supporters group trying to do their bit to support the club.Dont other clubs supporters do the same by raising funds to support their clubs to buy or sponsor players etc.To me those people who are slating our club should get their facts right before posting rubbish on here

It is great that the community can raise funds for the club. 

But what people have a problem with is it seems to be an attack on Toronto who clubs believe it is their responsibility to feed and water the players.

I would rather the club and players donate the funds to grass roots or youth clubs in the area.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, benji27 said:

This is an independent supporters group trying to do their bit to support the club.Dont other clubs supporters do the same by raising funds to support their clubs to buy or sponsor players etc.To me those people who are slating our club should get their facts right before posting rubbish on here

Please enlighten us on what specific "rubbish" has been posted? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

This is professional sport we are talking here. Other clubs have managed.

This is semi professional sport.

At the start of the season EVERY club has to decide how to "invest" its very limited resources. The Board have to decide if this season  " they are going for it" or preparing for a push next season.

If they decide they are going all out, they have to work out hom much they can afford to pay players, take a punt on how many win bonuses they will have to shell out for.

They factor in al the outgoing costs and they base everything on another punt of how many people are going to come and pay.

EVERY Rugby League in this country does that. Get any part of the equation wrong and either the club goes bust or someone stands the loss.

Below Superleague ( and indeed even in Superleague) ALL clubs are constantly on a knife edge.There is no safety net.

I was at the meeting when we voted to admit Toronto. We voted on the basis that as in the previous season when we went to Toulouse ALL costs would be covered. Subsequently we found out that that was not the case. I do not know of any club that factored a trip to Toronto into their budget  let alone 2 trips.

I have heard club chairmen admit that there are times when they secretly hope they lose as they cannot afford to pay out for win bonuses over and above the guesstimate they allowed for.

Thats the reality of the economics of the game. NO club has spare money. Some clubs have done really well hosting Toronto others not so well.

I applaud the Barrow supporters that started this initiative and I am pleased to say I have contributed.

Can I plead for everyone else to chip in too?

  • Like 6

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The part where people think it is the club doing the complaining .Has there a single post on here from the club or an official ?NO.Yes perhaps we could have done things better on the previous visit and I hope we have learnt from this so we can go there and give the Wolfpack a better game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

This is semi professional sport.

At the start of the season EVERY club has to decide how to "invest" its very limited resources. The Board have to decide if this season  " they are going for it" or preparing for a push next season.

If they decide they are going all out, they have to work out hom much they can afford to pay players, take a punt on how many win bonuses they will have to shell out for.

They factor in al the outgoing costs and they base everything on another punt of how many people are going to come and pay.

EVERY Rugby League in this country does that. Get any part of the equation wrong and either the club goes bust or someone stands the loss.

Below Superleague ( and indeed even in Superleague) ALL clubs are constantly on a knife edge.There is no safety net.

I was at the meeting when we voted to admit Toronto. We voted on the basis that as in the previous season when we went to Toulouse ALL costs would be covered. Subsequently we found out that that was not the case. I do not know of any club that factored a trip to Toronto into their budget  let alone 2 trips.

I have heard club chairmen admit that there are times when they secretly hope they lose as they cannot afford to pay out for win bonuses over and above the guesstimate they allowed for.

Thats the reality of the economics of the game. NO club has spare money. Some clubs have done really well hosting Toronto others not so well.

I applaud the Barrow supporters that started this initiative and I am pleased to say I have contributed.

Can I plead for everyone else to chip in too?

Don't start bringing chips into the argument, they shouldn't be near any players diet :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

True.  Card carrying Little Englander.  

It is in my ID folder, together with my US driving licence, Swiss residence permit, Irish passport and Danish ID card.

With that many alias Bob, no wonder they haven't caught up with you yet :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bearman said:

A bus to take you to the airport on the way out. Barrow to Manchester

Then another bus on the day you come back. Glasgow to Barrow.

Thats a return trip on two occasions 

Try phoning a few bus companies and get quotes.

Say if Barrow were playing London Skolars away from home instead of Toronto. They would still have to pay for a bus to take them there and back (possibly over two days as well).

What's the difference? 

 

Barrow are blaming their poor finances on the fact that they don'r get good crowds because the games (against expansion teams) aren't competitive.

That hasn't stopped Toronto from getting 6000-7000 people in has it?

 

Barrow need to get with the times and stop blaming other people for their own shortcomings. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bearman said:

This is semi professional sport.

At the start of the season EVERY club has to decide how to "invest" its very limited resources. The Board have to decide if this season  " they are going for it" or preparing for a push next season.

If they decide they are going all out, they have to work out hom much they can afford to pay players, take a punt on how many win bonuses they will have to shell out for.

They factor in al the outgoing costs and they base everything on another punt of how many people are going to come and pay.

EVERY Rugby League in this country does that. Get any part of the equation wrong and either the club goes bust or someone stands the loss.

Below Superleague ( and indeed even in Superleague) ALL clubs are constantly on a knife edge.There is no safety net.

I was at the meeting when we voted to admit Toronto. We voted on the basis that as in the previous season when we went to Toulouse ALL costs would be covered. Subsequently we found out that that was not the case. I do not know of any club that factored a trip to Toronto into their budget  let alone 2 trips.

I have heard club chairmen admit that there are times when they secretly hope they lose as they cannot afford to pay out for win bonuses over and above the guesstimate they allowed for.

Thats the reality of the economics of the game. NO club has spare money. Some clubs have done really well hosting Toronto others not so well.

I applaud the Barrow supporters that started this initiative and I am pleased to say I have contributed.

Can I plead for everyone else to chip in too?

That is fine and I understand the knife edge economics of lower league or amateur sport.

But Toronto are not asking anything of clubs that wouldn't normally come with an away game.

You have to charter a coach, players feed themselves.

Only thing diffrent is that you have to stay a night or two which Toronto pay for and lay on Breakfast the also shuttle the team to the stadium and back.

If the club is hard up. Then they should ask the players to stump up thier own expenses which is a couple of Lunches and dinners. Which any amatuer or youth club on trips away would do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bearman said:

This is semi professional sport.

At the start of the season EVERY club has to decide how to "invest" its very limited resources. The Board have to decide if this season  " they are going for it" or preparing for a push next season.

If they decide they are going all out, they have to work out hom much they can afford to pay players, take a punt on how many win bonuses they will have to shell out for.

They factor in al the outgoing costs and they base everything on another punt of how many people are going to come and pay.

EVERY Rugby League in this country does that. Get any part of the equation wrong and either the club goes bust or someone stands the loss.

Below Superleague ( and indeed even in Superleague) ALL clubs are constantly on a knife edge.There is no safety net.

I was at the meeting when we voted to admit Toronto. We voted on the basis that as in the previous season when we went to Toulouse ALL costs would be covered. Subsequently we found out that that was not the case. I do not know of any club that factored a trip to Toronto into their budget  let alone 2 trips.

I have heard club chairmen admit that there are times when they secretly hope they lose as they cannot afford to pay out for win bonuses over and above the guesstimate they allowed for.

Thats the reality of the economics of the game. NO club has spare money. Some clubs have done really well hosting Toronto others not so well.

I applaud the Barrow supporters that started this initiative and I am pleased to say I have contributed.

Can I plead for everyone else to chip in too?

I agree with a lot of that Bearman. I think Barrow are cheesed off with the fixture format as much as anything else. PR-wise they didn't cover themselves in glory last time on or off the pitch. This time let's hope they do go and trouble Toronto.

RL is really swings and roundabouts. Barrow will have made a few quid from the Challenge Cup visit to Leeds that they didn't budget for and had to pay out a bit more for a second trip to Toronto. I do agree, however, that hosting Toronto now when the season is well poised could have been lucrative for them. It is a shame that won't happen under this fractured L1 fixture format. I would have loved to have seen that game and reckon it would have got 1500+ in attendance.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't the club say last week that they would be taking an understrength team over as the 4 days holiday players needed to take from work meant that some would be unable or indeed unwilling to give up holidays again when they could/should be spending that time with their wives and kids


Here we go again .....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DemonUK said:

Didn't the club say last week that they would be taking an understrength team over as the 4 days holiday players needed to take from work meant that some would be unable or indeed unwilling to give up holidays again when they could/should be spending that time with their wives and kids

I'd pay £4000 myself not to spend the weekend with the wife

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'd pay £4000 myself not to spend the weekend with the wife

The wife could have played better than some of those Barrow players who went out last time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...