Sign in to follow this  
leaguefan13

New TV channel

On 29/08/2017 at 2:55 AM, JohnM said:

Make it free to air and watch crowd numbers fall. 

Free to air is considered the ultimate way to grow a sport in Australia. 

2 hours ago, Copa said:

Free to air is considered the ultimate way to grow a sport in Australia. 

At the risk of stating the obvious, we aren't in Australia. Pay TV hasn’t penetrated the sports market anywhere near like it has in the UK, where basically live rights for every major domestic competition are behind a paywall so it isn’t comparing like with like and the billion dollar premier league deal in this country skews things even further.

That said sports aside from football are coming back to the idea that limited Free To Air competition could work for them such as Cricket and RU. The RFL has been absolutely right in retaining this element in its Challenge Cup coverage.

However in reality we are unlikely to get any more free to air coverage of UK games than we already have. IMO we need better coverage of what already exists not necessarily more of it (CC Cup rounds closer together, SL show not on in the middle of the night/middle of the day when most people are at work).  We actually do pretty well out of Free to Air coverage in terms of hours on screen IMO

• Like 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

42 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not too bad?

Yeah but we were told by one poster that one man and his dog watched the qualifiers meaning they didnt bother with studio chat.

I will add they look like peaks.

What this clearly shows is scheduling has a massive impact. But hey it allows people to push their agenda.

On 22/08/2017 at 3:42 PM, Oxford said:

Doesn't Aunty have the contract and monopoly to ignore these and hide these away from the public for their own protection?

Other than "buy everyting", I thought that was ITV's style.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

8 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, we aren't in Australia. Pay TV hasn’t penetrated the sports market anywhere near like it has in the UK, where basically live rights for every major domestic competition are behind a paywall so it isn’t comparing like with like and the billion dollar premier league deal in this country skews things even further.

That said sports aside from football are coming back to the idea that limited Free To Air competition could work for them such as Cricket and RU. The RFL has been absolutely right in retaining this element in its Challenge Cup coverage.

However in reality we are unlikely to get any more free to air coverage of UK games than we already have. IMO we need better coverage of what already exists not necessarily more of it (CC Cup rounds closer together, SL show not on in the middle of the night/middle of the day when most people are at work).  We actually do pretty well out of Free to Air coverage in terms of hours on screen IMO

I think until some live Super League content is shown free to air - you'll always be disappointed by the scheduling of the Super League highlights show on BBC.

There's not much incentive for them to promote a product that has been exclusive to Sky for nearly a generation.

We've got to follow the example of cricket (T20 games) and RU (6 Nations/Rugby World Cup) who are ensuring their premium content is still very much available free to air.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think until some live Super League content is shown free to air - you'll always be disappointed by the scheduling of the Super League highlights show on BBC.

There's not much incentive for them to promote a product that has been exclusive to Sky for nearly a generation.

We've got to follow the example of cricket (T20 games) and RU (6 Nations/Rugby World Cup) who are ensuring their premium content is still very much available free to air.

Well they do it with other sports. Why would RL be treated differently?

Oh......

On 8/28/2017 at 3:16 PM, scotchy1 said:

I don't know why you think it isnt up to the RFL/SL to drive that demand. The RFL take tens of millions out of the TV Contract, they need to be more than an order taker. 

How much exactly do the RFL "take" and what for?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Well they do it with other sports. Why would RL be treated differently?

Oh......

What incentive have the BBC to promote a competition that is exclusive to Sky?

Think you've got to see from their point of view sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Looking at the schedules, and knowing that Sky hold the rights, I'd guess that the BBC's highlights show can't be broadcast 'til after the first showing of Sky's Super League Full Time has finished. That already puts the BBC show fairly late into the night, even if they started the moment Sky's show finished.

What is rather more aggravating is the regional ghettoisation of the first broadcast of the SLS, and the "you're probably unemployed anyway" scheduling of the national repeat.

Yes, I know anyone can watch it on the iPlayer, but that turns it from a programme that people stumble upon (and maybe get hooked by) to a stream that only those who go looking for it will see.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

57 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What incentive have the BBC to promote a competition that is exclusive to Sky?

Think you've got to see from their point of view sometimes.

Like the women's rigby union world cup by any chance? Or the numerous other sports they push? 

They are an RFL partner via radio and highlights.

They have literally zero premier league live but they cover that so your point is nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Like the women's rigby union world cup by any chance? Or the numerous other sports they push? 

They are an RFL partner via radio and highlights.

They have literally zero premier league live but they cover that so your point is nonsense.

Football isn't a minority sport like Rugby League - there's no point comparing the two.

The point stands:  What incentive do the BBC have to promote a Super League product that is exclusive to Sky?

Don't call it nonsense because you don't like the answer.

48 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Football isn't a minority sport like Rugby League - there's no point comparing the two.

The point stands:  What incentive do the BBC have to promote a Super League product that is exclusive to Sky?

Don't call it nonsense because you don't like the answer.

The comp isnt exclusive to Sky. Thats why its nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The comp isnt exclusive to Sky. Thats why its nonsense.

The live television broadcast of Super League matches is exclusive to Sky.

Where is the incentive for the BBC to promote the competition?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The live television broadcast of Super League matches is exclusive to Sky.

Where is the incentive for the BBC to promote the competition?

The BBC broadcast radio coverage of many RL matches, but have no TV rights to Super League. They do have TV rights to a Cup tournament that includes SL clubs. They very occasionally promote this to the casual viewer/listener.

The BBC broadcast radio coverage of every Formula 1 race/qualifying session, but have no TV rights to any aspect of the competition at all. They rarely fail to promote F1.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The BBC broadcast radio coverage of many RL matches, but have no TV rights to Super League. They do have TV rights to a Cup tournament that includes SL clubs. They very occasionally promote this to the casual viewer/listener.

The BBC broadcast radio coverage of every Formula 1 race/qualifying session, but have no TV rights to any aspect of the competition at all. They rarely fail to promote F1.

The BBC do have tv rights, just not live. They have the SLS every week and have extended highlights of playoffs and grand final.

As you say, they also have radio coverage.

On top of the Challenge Cup and World Cup you would think they would be very happy in pushing RL.

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

exactly. games are broadcast on Radio Five Live, Radio Fivle Live Sports Extra, various localradio stations etc. on TV, Look North in its various local versions cover the game. 

However, we struggle for any other meaningful coverage at a national level . As I write , Radio Five LIve are ( correctly in my view) giving extensive coverage to the issue of brain injury  assement in rugby union games.  I guess (becuase it is a guess) that this issue was raised by the RFU not the (willing recipient) BBC.

In my view, the RFLshould be taking the news initiative like this with the BBC. Maybe we should ask the league-loving but prickly George Riley for advice.

Four legs good - two legs bad

I'm watching Swedish speedway on freesport. Not really my thing.

i am an early riser.  the household is stirring so switching off now because I can't explain my speedway interest! 

Some talk on Twitter that there might be a delay in launching it on some satellite/cable services.

I've just switched on the TV, and it is definitely broadcasting on FreeView, although I'm not blown away by the picture quality.

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

F1 is a much more appealing demographic audience for the BBC to promote.

It's the kind of audience they have to obtain at times in order to justify the licence fee.

A very similar argument can be made for rugby union.

The only nonsense I can see is talk of almost conspiracies and anti-RL agendas.  

The fact is the BBC or any other broadcaster have little incentive to cross-promote a competition like Super League that is shown exclusively live on Sky.

That was always going to be part of the penalty with going with Sky exclusively for live content.

This is how broadcasting works.  

As for viewers to Sky / Freesat it is NOT in the EPG or channel listings

And according to what I've read, it won't be going on there until Wednesday next week !.

Use the info below with the frequency etc and enter it into the boxes using the "Other Channels" feature in your Sky box when you do the stuff below first ......

Do this: Press Services.

Scroll over to “Add Channels” (under Options)

Enter the Frequency, Polarisation, Symbol Rate and FEC

Frequency - 11426

Polorisation - V

FEC - 27500

Symbol Rate - 5/6

Look for the name "52556" - that's Freesports.

It is on 28E, and broadcasting ATM - it's Sky who are slow in putting it in their EPG - Do what I've told you above and it will work !

As for Virgin Media it will NOT be going on that for a while - VM want paying for carridge, Freesports want VM to pay them for a FTA sports channel, and neither will budge ATM.

Sunday looks good from about 1700 to midnight it's all RL, 3 NRL games and then the Toronto match with 'haven

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

F1 is a much more appealing demographic audience for the BBC to promote.

It's the kind of audience they have to obtain at times in order to justify the licence fee.

A very similar argument can be made for rugby union.

The only nonsense I can see is talk of almost conspiracies and anti-RL agendas.  

The fact is the BBC or any other broadcaster have little incentive to cross-promote a competition like Super League that is shown exclusively live on Sky.

That was always going to be part of the penalty with going with Sky exclusively for live content.

This is how broadcasting works.  

As has been said RL is far from exclusive to Sky, especially in comparison to other sports that are more extensively shown on the BBC. 

Also as the BBC do not rely on advertisers, like the other broadcasters, and receive their income from the license fee it is precisely why demographics shouldn't come into play. The BBC have a mandate to be independent, impartial and diverse and should be promoting less mainstream content.