Sign in to follow this  
leaguefan13

New TV channel

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Looking at the schedules, and knowing that Sky hold the rights, I'd guess that the BBC's highlights show can't be broadcast 'til after the first showing of Sky's Super League Full Time has finished. That already puts the BBC show fairly late into the night, even if they started the moment Sky's show finished.

What is rather more aggravating is the regional ghettoisation of the first broadcast of the SLS, and the "you're probably unemployed anyway" scheduling of the national repeat.

Yes, I know anyone can watch it on the iPlayer, but that turns it from a programme that people stumble upon (and maybe get hooked by) to a stream that only those who go looking for it will see.

I think the main thing that holds back the Super League Show is not being hampered by SL Full Time, but the fact that the BBC have taken the decision to put it out regionally before it goes out nationally so it can boost it’s regional hours every week. As there are restrictions on when and where regional content can go, unless the BBC about turn on this RL is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hard to see as it's a very easy win for the BBC in terms of getting regional hours under their belt.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

The BBC have a problem due to the fact that all of England is a region, not the parts of it.

This is why Wales and Scotland have lots of their own sport, separate from the national feed.

BBC 2 Wales has live RU on it on a Friday night, and BBC 2 Scotland or BBC Alba have their own RU matches live on it at the same time.

Also Scotland have their own football shows (Sportscene) on BBC 2 on Sunday teatime, and some delayed as live coverage of a SPL or Championship match on a Saturday teatime on BBC ALBA.

BBC 2 England can't opt out regionally anymore due to their transmittion network, though BBC 1 can, but won't during peak time.

In fact the SLS is the only regional sports programme in England on BBC 1, so we're lucky.

Edited by Womer

13 minutes ago, Womer said:

The BBC have a problem due to the fact that all of England is a region, not the parts of it

Good post, but technically - as you allude to - that's both true (in the case of BBC Two) and not true (in the case of BBC One)- as the SLS is still shown in the north of England and not the south on first airing on BBC One. So it may be the only regional sports show in England, but it's not - initially - shown to all of England. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

F1 is a much more appealing demographic audience for the BBC to promote.

It's the kind of audience they have to obtain at times in order to justify the licence fee.

A very similar argument can be made for rugby union.

The only nonsense I can see is talk of almost conspiracies and anti-RL agendas.  

The fact is the BBC or any other broadcaster have little incentive to cross-promote a competition like Super League that is shown exclusively live on Sky.

That was always going to be part of the penalty with going with Sky exclusively for live content.

This is how broadcasting works.  

Your point isn't making sense.

You say they have little incentive to cover stuff on Sky - until they actually do and then that is because they have to keep that audience happy.

They either don't cover stuff that Sky have live rights to, or they do.

50 minutes ago, Womer said:

The BBC have a problem due to the fact that all of England is a region, not the parts of it.

This is why Wales and Scotland have lots of their own sport, separate from the national feed.

BBC 2 Wales has live RU on it on a Friday night, and BBC 2 Scotland or BBC Alba have their own RU matches live on it at the same time.

Also Scotland have their own football shows (Sportscene) on BBC 2 on Sunday teatime, and some delayed as live coverage of a SPL or Championship match on a Saturday teatime on BBC ALBA.

BBC 2 England can't opt out regionally anymore due to their transmittion network, though BBC 1 can, but won't during peak time.

In fact the SLS is the only regional sports programme in England on BBC 1, so we're lucky.

Why are we lucky to have a regional show? The fact that they begrudgingly show it nationally on a Tuesday afternoon or whenever they can be bothered is a bad thing.

Just tried the tv's in my house,no sign of freesports on main freesat box but great picture on smal freeview telly in bedroom  (cowboys v Broncos later).as for super league show being regional,my freesat box picks up every regional bbc1 channel,us in border tv land used to have a similar problem back in the day when they often didn't show scrumdown

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Why are we lucky to have a regional show? The fact that they begrudgingly show it nationally on a Tuesday afternoon or whenever they can be bothered is a bad thing.

Because nobody else in England does for any other sport

The SLS came about due to someone high up in BBC Manchester being an big RL fan and rang the BBC in London so see if they could bid for secondary rights off Sky.

(The BBC in England must carry a regional news and a regional politics show, but are not obligated to carry anything else.)

BBC Manchester managed to get BBC Leeds and BBC Newcastle (who broadcast into Cumberland) to all divi up a very small part of their overall regional budget to pay for secondary rights, and BBC English regions agreed.

If say, BBC London, or South wanted to carry the SLS, they'll have to pay for it - and they won't, and that's why no other regions bar up north carry it.

BBC 2 England get it for nothing, as it's already been paid for - so it's used as filler.

BBC Birmingham would also love to broadcast their own regional football programme (they as licence fee payers pay more into the BBC's coffers than either Scotland or Wales) but can't afford the rights for it.

Wales and Scotland get away with murder with the licence fee shareout - it's England who effectively subsidise them for their sports content - they'd have virtually nothing on if if wasn't for English fee payers and both BBC ALBA and S4C get a big bung off their own devolved assemblies - while everyone else in England gets nothing.

As for ratings the RLCC got 880,000 with 1.4m at peak.

And for EFL football, Sky's figures are'nt really all that good considering they shelled out £180m for the rights.

They are averaging about 80,000 - but Sky want to drive sales in the east of England (no PL football there) and they didn't want BT sniffing round for the rights.

If you didn't know secondary rights move for the EFL next season from C5 to ITV using the same production company as now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Just tried the tv's in my house,no sign of freesports on main freesat box but great picture on smal freeview telly in bedroom  (cowboys v Broncos later).as for super league show being regional,my freesat box picks up every regional bbc1 channel,us in border tv land used to have a similar problem back in the day when they often didn't show scrumdown

Use the same parameters as for Sky boxes.

5 minutes ago, Womer said:

Because nobody else in England does for any other sport

The SLS came about due to someone high up in BBC Manchester being an big RL fan and rang the BBC in London so see if they could bid for secondary rights off Sky.

(The BBC in England must carry a regional news and a regional politics show, but are not obligated to carry anything else.)

BBC Manchester managed to get BBC Leeds and BBC Newcastle (who broadcast into Cumberland) to all divi up a very small part of their overall regional budget to pay for secondary rights, and BBC English regions agreed.

If say, BBC London, or South wanted to carry the SLS, they'll have to pay for it - and they won't, and that's why no other regions bar up north carry it.

BBC 2 England get it for nothing, as it's already been paid for - so it's used as filler.

BBC Birmingham would also love to broadcast their own regional football programme (they as licence fee payers pay more into the BBC's coffers than either Scotland or Wales) but can't afford the rights for it.

Wales and Scotland get away with murder with the licence fee shareout - it's England who effectively subsidise them for their sports content - they'd have virtually nothing on if if wasn't for English fee payers and both BBC ALBA and S4C get a big bung off their own devolved assemblies - while everyone else in England gets nothing.

As for ratings the RLCC got 880,000 with 1.4m at peak.

And for EFL football, Sky's figures are'nt really all that good considering they shelled out £180m for the rights.

They are averaging about 80,000 - but Sky want to drive sales in the east of England (no PL football there) and they didn't want BT sniffing round for the rights.

If you didn't know secondary rights move for the EFL next season from C5 to ITV using the same production company as now.

Thanks Womer, and it is all very interesting stuff but I still wont class the game as lucky that we get it broadcast regionally.

If the BBC wanted a proper SLS broadcasted nationally at a decent time, they could do so.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If the BBC wanted a proper SLS broadcasted nationally at a decent time, they could do so.

Indeed - any argument they can't is clearly internal politics, as BBC Sport ultimately have the rights whatever way you dress it up, or which region they charge it back to. They do still show big events nationally - WCC, Playoffs, Grand Final, Million Pound Game, so it can be done.

Not too surprised BBC Birmingham can't get a regional football show, as a lot of their teams are in divisions covered by Channel 5 in secondary rights. If the BBC ever do get the football league back, I'd expect regional football shows to return. 

SQL Honours

18 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

From memory it was just over £30m and for what is, unfortunately, a loaded question.

So they keep this money do they, or is it distributed to the clubs?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Womer said:

As for Virgin Media it will NOT be going on that for a while - VM want paying for carridge, Freesports want VM to pay them for a FTA sports channel, and neither will budge ATM.

Sunday looks good from about 1700 to midnight it's all RL, 3 NRL games and then the Toronto match with 'haven

When I consider that Virgin's prices are about to rise again, well above the rate of inflation then, coupled with this they may be about to lose even more customers.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Amber Avenger said:

Indeed - any argument they can't is clearly internal politics,

Yes, it is - The BBC didn't think it was a good idea to give Sky a free plug for covering super league games - but BBC Sport don't pay for the SLS, the regions in the north do.

Premier League secondary rights had to go to a major FTA broadcaster, as that was what the PL clubs wanted - RL couldn't be bothered.

7 minutes ago, Womer said:

Yes, it is - The BBC didn't think it was a good idea to give Sky a free plug for covering super league games - but BBC Sport don't pay for the SLS, the regions in the north do.

Premier League secondary rights had to go to a major FTA broadcaster, as that was what the PL clubs wanted - RL couldn't be bothered.

I'm not following the logic here. 

The BBC are not televising Match of the Day because the Premier League clubs are forcing them to. The BBC have the choice whether they do so, just as they have the choice whether they broadcast SL highlights. 

5 minutes ago, Doghead said:

Sky ruled the airways then along came BT and now Free Sport, watched the game this morning big crowd fantastic presentation.

it'll be interesting to watch this one. As a Premier Sports provider, this is making me think twice about my subscription, certainly once the WC is over. I'm happy with watching the odd NRL game at a time that suits me which is what I do at the moment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

it'll be interesting to watch this one. As a Premier Sports provider, this is making me think twice about my subscription, certainly once the WC is over. I'm happy with watching the odd NRL game at a time that suits me which is what I do at the moment.

As it stands Premier's contract for the NRL is only to the end of this year - not heard any news about 2018 and beyond yet.

• Like 1

SQL Honours

4 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

As it stands Premier's contract for the NRL is only to the end of this year - not heard any news about 2018 and beyond yet.

ah yeah, good point, maybe they are losing it anyway and are happy to trade on it in the short term. same with Toronto as I assume that hasn't been signed for next year yet

Freesports is now on Sky 424 proper

went on at 1430

Provisional Schedule

Friday
6:00am: North Queensland v Brisbane REPLAY
10:30am Parramatta v South Sydney LIVE

Saturday
10:30am: Melbourne v Canberra LIVE
5:30pm: Manly v Penrith DELAYED
7:30pm: Sydney Roosters v Gold Coast DELAYED
9:25pm: Toronto v Whitehaven LIVE

Sunday
9:25am: Wests v NZ Warriors LIVE
10:00pm: Newcastle v Cronulla DELAYED
Midnight: St George v Canterbury DELAYED

Edited by Womer
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, verbatim said:

Cowboys v broncos on now.

Anyone know where I can find listings for what's else is on tonight / this weekend?

Live: https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/

Replays: https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/replays

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Great to come home from work and watch NQ v Broncos, looking forward to watching the finals, might have to change my internet habits to avoid spoilers in the next couple of weeks.

Full list of their current rights;

Football
Portuguese Primeira Liga- 2 games a week
Belgian Pro League – 3 games a week
Spanish La Liga 2 - 1 game a week
Superliga Argentina - 2 games a week
Barca TV - full game from La Liga and Champions League
Dortmund TV - 1 hour weekly game highlights
Bayern TV - full game from the Bundesliga and Champions League
AC Milan TV full game from Serie A and Europa League

Motorsport
Australian V8 Supercars live
NASCAR Cup Highlights
NASCAR Xfinity series live
NASCAR Truck series live
Swedish Speedway live in 2018
Monster Jam highlights
Arena Cross highlights
Formula Drift highlights
FIA World Rallycross Championships highlights
On the Limit Sport magazine show

Ice Hockey
National Hockey League – 3 games a week that can’t go live on Premier
International Ice Hockey Federation – 20 live games from Championships and 5 GB games from Div1A
Champions Hockey League – 20 live games
Swedish Hockey League – 2 live games a week
Spengler Cup live semi's and final

Rugby League
50% of NRL live until the end of 2017
Select games from the Rugby League World Cup live
Championship Rugby League – Toronto matches in England live
NRL Full-Time
The NRL Footy Show
Rugby League Back Chat

Other Sports
ATP 250 – 25 events mostly live
New York, Berlin and Melbourne Marathons
IAAF Athletics
Spanish Basketball League and Copa Del Rey final stages
FEI Nations Cup
One Championship
World Series of Fighting
FIS Magazine show
Transworld Sport
Drone Champions League
Weight Lifting World Championships
Pro Bull Riding
Golfing World
Crankworx World Tour

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

When I consider that Virgin's prices are about to rise again, well above the rate of inflation then, coupled with this they may be about to lose even more customers.

The same thing happened 4 years ago when Premier had the rights to the WC. Virgin refused to show Premier. Loads of fans complained to Virgin (including myself), there were massive threads on their web forums. Eventually agreement was reached the day before the tournament started. I'd hope agreement gets reached much sooner this time. I was on the verge of leaving Virgin last time 

10 hours ago, Cherry and White said:

Full list of their current rights;

Football
Portuguese Primeira Liga- 2 games a week
Belgian Pro League – 3 games a week
Spanish La Liga 2 - 1 game a week
Superliga Argentina - 2 games a week
Barca TV - full game from La Liga and Champions League
Dortmund TV - 1 hour weekly game highlights
Bayern TV - full game from the Bundesliga and Champions League
AC Milan TV full game from Serie A and Europa League

Motorsport
Australian V8 Supercars live
NASCAR Cup Highlights
NASCAR Xfinity series live
NASCAR Truck series live
Swedish Speedway live in 2018
Monster Jam highlights
Arena Cross highlights
Formula Drift highlights
FIA World Rallycross Championships highlights
On the Limit Sport magazine show

Ice Hockey
National Hockey League – 3 games a week that can’t go live on Premier
International Ice Hockey Federation – 20 live games from Championships and 5 GB games from Div1A
Champions Hockey League – 20 live games
Swedish Hockey League – 2 live games a week
Spengler Cup live semi's and final

Rugby League
50% of NRL live until the end of 2017
Select games from the Rugby League World Cup live
Championship Rugby League – Toronto matches in England live
NRL Full-Time
The NRL Footy Show
Rugby League Back Chat

Other Sports
ATP 250 – 25 events mostly live
New York, Berlin and Melbourne Marathons
IAAF Athletics
Spanish Basketball League and Copa Del Rey final stages
FEI Nations Cup
One Championship
World Series of Fighting
FIS Magazine show
Transworld Sport
Drone Champions League
Weight Lifting World Championships
Pro Bull Riding
Golfing World
Crankworx World Tour

Thanks for posting that it is interesting.