Sign in to follow this  
BenGilesRL

Name New York

Name New York  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should they be called? Welcome to select more than one as your favourites.

• Bluebirds
    • Liberty
    • New Yorkers
    • Titans
    • Pirates
    • Buccaneers
    • Crushers
    • Knights
    • Bears
    • Force
    • Continentals
    • Eagles
    • RL

Irons - Early Skyscrapers, bridges.

Boroughs.

Fivers....plus Boroughs and Fist.

Maybe not fist.

Edited by Mister Ting

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

New York Cabs.

They'll be hailed wherever they go.

• Haha 1

RADFORD OUT!

The New York Towers?

Not as bad as it sounds and poignant ..... 

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

I think these North American teams should emphasis the working class nature of the sport That is why I love the Chicago Stockyarders name.

I'd go with the New York Dockers  and play at a renovated Pier 40 site.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2017 at 6:06 PM, walter sobchak said:

Personally when choosing a nickname/moniker for a team I think it's best to go for something that's local to the area or some important past event for the town/city like certain animals, industries, historical events and iconic landmarks. A quick scan of Wikipedia shows that red tailed hawks and eastern bluebirds are commonly sighted in NYC while New York City saw a few battles during the war of independence so maybe a name like New York rebels, militias or continentals could work but I have to admit to liking the liberty name. 

The Pipedreams

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

6 hours ago, ojx said:

I think these North American teams should emphasis the working class nature of the sport That is why I love the Chicago Stockyarders name.

I'd go with the New York Dockers  and play at a renovated Pier 40 site.

We're somewhat pigeonholed as a working class sport here though aren't we? For the names it's much of a muchness but isn't that something new teams on new continents should try to avoid?

On 31/08/2017 at 8:13 AM, Old Frightful said:

New York Cabs.

They'll be hailed wherever they go.

Funnily enough I thought of this...but didn't post it. Old frightful, you beat me to it!

New York Towers RLFC

i would imagine that the name could be leveraged into quite a bit of charity work and the like to ingratiate them into the NYC community (yes I know that NYC is rather large!) and gain a fair bit of press coverage if handled correctly. I'd add the RLFC suffix to the name for clarity. And i'd like to think that the name, because of the poignancy, conjures up a lot of what we see as great American values (liberty, freedom and whatnot)...it might also be something that a similar crowd to Toronto would respond to...

However,, it is something that would need to be checked with native New Yorkers. If even a slight percentage disagreed with the name then that would mean it's a no goer really...much of the point of the name would be to bring people together not potentially upset anyone or be seen as a little insensitive...

How about New York Dodgers? There used to be an old baseball team named the Brooklyn Dodgers and still talked about today by some New Yorkers. Also kind of works ok with the sport. 

• Like 1

Are we trying to give a name to a team which may never exist! Too much time on your hands. From what I've found in New York it'd be New York knowalls! Or bullshitters!

51 minutes ago, kev p said:

Are we trying to give a name to a team which may never exist! Too much time on your hands. From what I've found in New York it'd be New York knowalls! Or bullshitters!

How about posting something positive for  a change.