1st Sept : Super 8s : St Helens v Wigan Warriors K.O. 8pm Sky TV

Discuss the Super 8s game between St Helens and Wigan Warriors here.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm there. Worked Monday in lieu in order to be stuck on the M6 on a Friday. 

Barba debut at FB with Lomax moving to the halves. 

Wigan to take their revenge on Saints? Not with a week off and an expectant big home crowd. Saints by 8.

As that been stated? If so is there an injury to Fages or Smith? If not do they deserve to miss out on present form? and how long has it been since Lomax played in the halves, had it been against any other than Wigan maybe, but I would keep with continuity.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

33 minutes ago, GaryO said:

As that been stated? If so is there an injury to Fages or Smith? If not do they deserve to miss out on present form? and how long has it been since Lomax played in the halves, had it been against any other than Wigan maybe, but I would keep with continuity.

Didn't Lomax start out in the halves? 

Wouldn't be my pick but that's why Holbrook is paid the big bucks

The RFL must really love Wigan, allowing them a full 24 hours extra recovery more than my lot. :whistle:

Can't remember ever seeing Ben Barba play so I'm looking forward to seeing what he's about. Has he ever played in a WCC game?

A  bit of a Wembley hangover for the Pies will probably mean Saints prevail later on in the game but, with this being the minor RL derby, the visitors will certainly put the effort in.

Skints 26 Pies 20.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

The RFL must really love Wigan, allowing them a full 24 hours extra recovery more than my lot. :whistle:

Can't remember ever seeing Ben Barba play so I'm looking forward to seeing what he's about. Has he ever played in a WCC game?

A  bit of a Wembley hangover for the Pies will probably mean Saints prevail later on in the game but, with this being the minor RL derby, the visitors will certainly put the effort in.

Skints 26 Pies 20.

At his best, one of the most devastating runners you would have ever seen from FB, you're lad is not bad Rob, but this lad was a bit special, if he can reproduce 3/4's of what he could do Saints fans will be in rapture, and the rest of the teams will be adjusting game plans.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

I think we will give it a good go, but suspect we will fall short. We are resilient, and dig pretty deep.
We have only ourselves to blame I suppose for finding us in this position, but it will naturally be galling for well rested Saints to end our season. If so, it will not have been the best 6 days...

That said, if we do manage to win, that would be extra sweet with sugar topping.

Saints have everything stacked in their favour, but what if, despite that, they still lose - at home, against the team they look up to more than anyone else, with another free week end while we were exhausting ourselves every which way at Wembley?

That would be truly crushing for them. 

31 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Saints have everything stacked in their favour, but what if, despite that, they still lose - at home, against the team they look up to more than anyone else, with another free week end while we were exhausting ourselves every which way at Wembley?

In what sense do Saints look up to Wigan more than anything else?

Looking forward to this game and to the debut of Ben Barba. A rare chance to see an NRL star in his prime, sadly also the only way you would see one  declared persona non grata by NRL clubs as living proof that  while not everthing in life goes better with coke. He can at least taste the feeling of Rugby League with Saints

St Helens by 20

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

54 minutes ago, JohnM said:

1. trophy count

2. Crowds

3. Global recognition.

1.  Ancient history most of that and Saints have been more than Wigan's equal in the summer era when it has been a level playing field.

2.  Let's face it Wigan's crowd is on the wane while St Helens' crowd appears to be growing.

3.  Only in Australia and I think in time that will fade too as the Australians learn to appreciate the superior entertainment values of the Saints.

?

5 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Making my way home from Nottingham for this one. Would have been tempted for Saints v Wigan regardless, but Barba's debut confirmed it for me. I'm expecting a close Saints win but maybe Wigan will tire in the last 20 after last weekend. 

Will be interested to see how Saints new look spine goes. Lomax as 6 with Fages coming off the bench and Richardson out of the team has been very controversial among Saints fans. 

What for?  Fages in, Richardson out, Lomax?

Saints Wigan games are always special, and this one has plenty thrown in on top for good measure.

I suppose the season is on the line for both of us, so that should provide plenty of extra motivation if any is needed. Wigan might be tired post Wembley, but will no doubt be all the more fired up for their loss, which might more than compensate for any fatigue. Add to that Barba making his debut and this has all the ingredients to be a classic… But I just can’t see it somehow.

I think it’s fair to say both teams have been underwhelming for the most part this season, and I’d be surprised if this game isn’t a scrappy affair in spite of everything. As for Barba, his quality is beyond question and I’m thrilled he’s signed for us, but this will be his first top level RL game in almost a year. It’s probably a little unrealistic to expect him to light things up from the off, but you never know. Either way I’m excited to see what impact he’ll make.    

It’ll probably be a close one with the side coming up short frustrated in thinking they could’ve got more out of it.

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Hmmm I'm not sure it'd be quite as crushing as say, losing in a final :tongue:

(And before anyone points it out then yes, I talk from plenty of experience in recent years!)

Archived