• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

17 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Interesting insight into this game from Millward on Sporting Life, suggesting both that Tonga have already peaked, and that a number of their players are carrying injuries. We, in contrast, looked to be jumping out of our skins fitness wise last week end, and are peaking round about now. 

There has and will continue to be up to the semi final the doubt over whether the NZ game was Tonga's "WC final". I hope its not and they give us a good test. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm neutral on this one but over here we have an expression for the likely outcome of this game...don't know it you use it over there:  "A real Barn Burner!"

-if you've ever seen a barn full of hay burn you know what i'm talkin' bout Willis!

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Dinah Jane from Fifth Harmony flying in from the States to sing the Tongan national anthem. I'm not too sure who she is lol but she has over 3m instagram followers. 

http://matangitonga.to/2017/11/22/dinah-jane-sing-tongan-national-anthem

King of Tonga coming in as well. Almost newsworthy for someone like the BBC?? :sad:

Dinah is much more photogenic than the King...trust me on this one.

The suggestion that Tonga peaked against NZ is naiev.

Tonga's potential is very raw, they looked to be all but done against NZ in the 1st half of that game.

The surge that followed had been previously unseen from minnow sides well down on the scoreboard.

No one saw that coming....as surely as none can be confident England won't face worse at Mount Smart Stadium.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Wow. If the people running thia game dont see the potential for the international game now they never will.

They don't really care (rather than Collier who's leaving no doubt due to frustration). The Tongans will disappear into obscurity until 2021 rather than some glamour games against the Kiwis and Aussies.

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

They don't really care (rather than Collier who's leaving no doubt due to frustration). The Tongans will disappear into obscurity until 2021 rather than some glamour games against the Kiwis and Aussies.

I disagree. But it just isnt easy. These World Cups are happenibg because people care. They had a great excuse to sack it off after 2000.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I disagree. But it just isnt easy. These World Cups are happenibg because people care. They had a great excuse to sack it off after 2000.

I was referring to non-WC years. They’d prefer tours rather than an Intercontinental competition so the likes of Tongans disappear bar a game in surburban Sydney  each year.

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

I was referring to non-WC years. They’d prefer tours rather than an Intercontinental competition so the likes of Tongans disappear bar a game in surburban Sydney  each year.

Again though im not so sure. The RLIF have put the 8 team comp in as part of their strategy. They have struggled to deliver it due to lack of interest from broadcasters and hosts is my understanding. Hopefully the great viewing figures here can help move it on. A challenge with that comp is who hosts it? We cant keep going to Oz and England and getting another country to host is a challenge. I think it is perfect for France.

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Again though im not so sure. The RLIF have put the 8 team comp in as part of their strategy. They have struggled to deliver it due to lack of interest from broadcasters and hosts is my understanding. Hopefully the great viewing figures here can help move it on. A challenge with that comp is who hosts it? We cant keep going to Oz and England and getting another country to host is a challenge. I think it is perfect for France.

The guy who was pushing the 8-team comp is leaving and is being replaced by a guy who has happily ditched the 4 Nations to try and revive bloody GB and to have 3 years of test series between the top 3.

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The guy who was pushing the 8-team comp is leaving and is being replaced by a guy who has happily ditched the 4 Nations to try and revive bloody GB and to have 3 years of test series between the top 3.

It is in the documented strategy signed off by the board including Wood as Chairman.

Surely Collier's time should be seen as a failure now?

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is in the documented strategy signed off by the board including Wood as Chairman.

Surely Collier's time should be seen as a failure now?

It has been pushed back to 2023 and may become a 9s World Cup as per the last formal release earlier this year. Yes Collier set off with good intentions but has ultimately failed. A very predictable outcome.

If tonight showed anything it is that Tonga, Fiji, Lebanon, PNG and NZ are all about on par with each other for this tournament, with France and Samoa slightly off the pace. England need to win by 30 tomorrow to be anywhere near Australias level, and they can do it. Dont forget they beat PNG by 30 with a 50% completion rate.

Archived