24-25 Feb: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Third Round - Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Third Round games here.

SATURDAY 24th FEBRUARY
Askam v York City Knights KO 2.30pm
Normanton Knights v Batley Boys KO 2pm
Kells v British Army KO 2pm
Pilkington Recs v Millom KO 2pm
Hunslet Club Parkside v Workington Town KO 2.30pm

SUNDAY 25th FEBRUARY
Hemel Stags v Newcastle Thunder KO 2pm
North Wales Crusaders v Keighley Cougars KO 2.30pm
Bradford Bulls v West Wales Raiders KO 3pm
Hunslet v Oulton Raiders KO 3pm
Coventry Bears v Distington KO 3pm (TV - BBC iPlayer)
Doncaster v Myton Warriors KO 3pm
Whitehaven v London Skolars KO 3pm
Oldham v Featherstone Lions KO 3pm

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coventry Bears versus Distington is the BBC's tie of choice for live streaming. Auntie smells an upset!

http://www.rugby-league.com/challengecup/article/51865/coventry-bears-v-distington-selected-for-bbc-sport

I predict wins for York, Normanton, Kells, Pilks, Workington (by no more than 10), Newcastle, Keighley (not by much), Bradford (a blow-out), Hunslet, Distington (not by much), Doncaster, Whitehaven (not by much) and Oldham.

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 24th FEBRUARY

SUNDAY 25th FEBRUARY

Don't forget Bradford Bulls vs West Wales Raiders on Bulls Live ?

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 24th FEBRUARY

SUNDAY 25th FEBRUARY

I think we have a great chance of an 'upset' against Workington. The only thing that might go against us is the fact we're playing at South Leeds Stadium (Hunslet RLFC ground) which is a bit wider than our pitch. 

I think York will beat Askam but anyone who's played up there will know it won't be easy. I'm sure Oulton will put in good showing against Hunslet too, especially if our big lads churn up the middle of the field the day before, might be a bit of leveller. 

13 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think we have a great chance of an 'upset' against Workington. The only thing that might go against us is the fact we're playing at South Leeds Stadium (Hunslet RLFC ground) which is a bit wider than our pitch.

Did HCP choose to play the game at South Leeds Stadium? Or did the RFL deem your ground unfit to host semi-pro opposition?

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Did HCP choose to play the game at South Leeds Stadium? Or did the RFL deem your ground unfit to host semi-pro opposition?

Yeah because our ground is right next to a motorway you can't kick to touch on one side (ref gives 10m for pen instead) also the expected crowd meant it was easier for parking etc at SL stadium. 

Won't really have an impact on us though, the boys have all played there a few teams so know the pitch well. 

9 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Yeah, think we could well be in for a tight one....hopefully with us on the right side of the scoreboard at the hooter... we'll see come Sunday..

As long as were not two points ahead in the final two minutes - I don't think my nerves would take that again this week!!  It will definitely be a close encounter - mind you, I thought that last season when we played at Keighley and their half-back ripped us apart. I think Keighley will be near the top of League 1 come the end of the season...so will we hopefully.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:43 AM, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Don't know enough about the amateur game to comment on those ties, but the Cru versus Keighley and Whitehaven - Skolars look interesting. Largest winning margin could be Bradford against West Wales, who were abysmal in the pre-season friendly at Wrexham.

I don't think you should judge a side on the first pre-season game.

But,it does seem Bradford are taking the game seriously,with signing Flanagan,and adding Chisholm to the squad.

I am quite intrigued by Bradford.They took the head coach Kear,from contract at Wakefield.Flanagan from Hunslet,where he was on contract and Chisholm from Sheffield,where he was on contract.I haven't checked the rest of the squad.

They do have some full-time players.

I do hope it isn't the largest winning margin...but the trip back to Wales will be enjoyable should West Wales Raiders emulate an underdog success similar to that accomplished by John Kear coached sides in this competition. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I will be amazed if Bradford don't win by 60 at least. I hope not, as I have lots of mates who follow RL in South Wales, although most of them don't go to West Wales Raiders' games. I hope the amateur sides have success again. I might watch Oldham .v. Fev Lions, but if I am awake early enough after my night shift I really think Hunslet Parkside .v. Workington looks attractive. I have seen Workington lose to an amateur side before - Thornhill Trojans.

3 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I will be amazed if Bradford don't win by 60 at least. I hope not, as I have lots of mates who follow RL in South Wales, although most of them don't go to West Wales Raiders' games. I hope the amateur sides have success again. I might watch Oldham .v. Fev Lions, but if I am awake early enough after my night shift I really think Hunslet Parkside .v. Workington looks attractive. I have seen Workington lose to an amateur side before - Thornhill Trojans.

Don't expect nothing less than a twenty point win from Town. No disrespect to HP. One game where the community clubs could get a win over the C1 would be at Coventry. Distington are a very good Cumberland League side who have already seen off Queens and Lock Lane. Expect them to give Coventry a real contest. 

4 hours ago, yanto said:

Don't expect nothing less than a twenty point win from Town. No disrespect to HP. One game where the community clubs could get a win over the C1 would be at Coventry. Distington are a very good Cumberland League side who have already seen off Queens and Lock Lane. Expect them to give Coventry a real contest. 

I know you don't mean it disrespectfully but that honestly won't happen. Think we'll probably win but if Workington do it'll be by less than 8 IMO. Haven't been beaten in a competitive match by more than 20 (probably haven't even conceded more than 20 more than 5/6 times) in over 5 years - Rochdale Hornets at Spotland beat us in 4th Round of Challenge cup 40 - 8 but that was when we still played winter rugby in the Pennine League. Completely different team now. 

Really wish this game was the live stream game as the hunslet side seem well up for this,however you would expect town with the likes of Wilkes,Bailey and Foster to be too strong.Saying that I have also seen town lose twice to amateur opposition  (egremont and wath brow) so who knows

22 hours ago, Route66 said:

Really wish this game was the live stream game as the hunslet side seem well up for this,however you would expect town with the likes of Wilkes,Bailey and Foster to be too strong.Saying that I have also seen town lose twice to amateur opposition  (egremont and wath brow) so who knows

You can add Jordan Tansey to that list of experienced super league players - just signed for Workington apparently and might play today. 

As for Bailey.....not sure he'll offer much against our pack - he's not smart enough. 

Looking forward to this now, may the best team win. 

45 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

You can add Jordan Tansey to that list of experienced super league players - just signed for Workington apparently and might play today. 

As for Bailey.....not sure he'll offer much against our pack - he's not smart enough. 

We will 

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I wouldn't worry too much as the jambos  have a reputation for being tonked off amateurs in this comp.

On 21/02/2018 at 9:43 AM, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Don't know enough about the amateur game to comment on those ties, but the Cru versus Keighley and Whitehaven - Skolars look interesting. Largest winning margin could be Bradford against West Wales, who were abysmal in the pre-season friendly at Wrexham.

Cru will be well beaten by Keighley and haven should see off skolars comfortably even with a few missing.think best game could be the televised one Coventry v a very good distington side.could a be a upset along the way too possibly at South Leeds.

Archived