24-25 Feb: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Third Round - Match Thread

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Really enjoyed the game and the Bears will take a lot of confidence from a good win. Distington did the Cumbrian league proud. The Coventry full back may want to skip over that howler if he watches it back on iPlayer though.

Yeah it was a shocker but he actually had a great game otherwise. I think I'd be inclined to blame the sun which was low on the sky at the time ?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, haven n proud said:

I wouldn't know about skill but certainly fitness carried bears through but credit distington lads and game played in a great spirit.next round away to haven plz.

Distington definitely played well and tried to run the ball when they could. They just couldn't live with the Bears half backs. Definitely a game played in the right spirit and again goes to show there are excellent players in the amateur game 

Just looking at the draw details it’s bit of a shame the way it’s convoluted and staggered now . The great cup days of drawing a big team and getting a memorable occasion and pay day are really reduced ,  which doesn’t do much for the cup itself you’d think 

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Hemel 0:74 Newcastle
Crusaders 28:24 Keighley
Bradford Bulls 82:6 West Wales Raiders
Coventry 42:12 Distington
Doncaster 68:6 Myton Warriors
Hunslet RLFC 72:16 Oulton Raiders (L)
Oldham 42:0 Featherstone Lions

Well done Crusaders.  maybe I shouldn't be surprised they would expect to give a same division team a good match?

Pleased for Cov.after a tough result last week.

When is the draw?

3 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

When is the draw?

This Tuesday, from 7pm, BBC live stream.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, haven n proud said:

I find it rather unbelievable that Keighley after being 24 6 up never scored a single point in the second half.i don't for one minute believe Wales were that good.

Well, we were... always been a second-half team, and boy were we today. Cougars only got into our half about 3 or 4 times in the second period, and just couldn't handle the aggressive defence (which was sadly lacking in the first half) and the faster attack. I have to say the reffing was somewhat theatrical and obscure on occasion (arms being waved around all over the shop , but even the Cougars fans sat behind us were in agreement that it didn't affect the outcome...)

Big shout-out to Simon Atherton on a well-deserved hat-trick, especially the last one bulldozing through 4 Cougars defenders to put the ball down :)

So yeah, a good day to be a Cru fan :)

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

1 hour ago, haven n proud said:

I find it rather unbelievable that Keighley after being 24 6 up never scored a single point in the second half.i don't for one minute believe Wales were that good.

Believe it! North Wales Crusaders totally dominated the second half. Keighley lost control of their discipline and gave penalty after penalty. 22 unanswered points says we were that good.

was at hemel today, very happy i was there to see our club record victory, early days though played very well, new signings look very good, ritson fullback signed from workington looks class, as does the winger we got from all golds mo agoro, onwards and upwards! boom boom thunder army!!

3 minutes ago, Thunder fan said:

was at hemel today, very happy i was there to see our club record victory, early days though played very well, new signings look very good, ritson fullback signed from workington looks class, as does the winger we got from all golds mo agoro, onwards and upwards! boom boom thunder army!!

If Thunder get off to a better start than they did last year they could well be in the mix at the business end. It won't be easy going north trying to get points.

24 minutes ago, Thunder fan said:

Glad you had a more productive weekend this week Kev!!

Mo Agoro is a great signing. He'll score you some points this season.

4 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Worrying for Hemel to concede 74 and fail to score at home. I just dont see them lasting much longer the way things are.

Newcastle going so well in many areas and the future looks very positive. Will be interesting when they play York and Bradford as feel they could beat either at home.

Big games and interesting which  will draw the biggest  crowd. 

12 hours ago, Derwent said:

Judging by the clips on Twitter it looked like the game was being played in a local park.

Hemel own their own ground, there's a social club and a stand which they've raised funds for over many years and it's all enclosed (fence round the whole site, barriers round their own pitch.) If only the likes of Oldham & Swinton could achieve something similar.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Hemel own their own ground, there's a social club and a stand which they've raised funds for over many years and it's all enclosed (fence round the whole site, barriers round their own pitch.) If only the likes of Oldham & Swinton could achieve something similar.

Indeed. They were playing there in the early eighties in the Southern Amateur RL and with Bob Brown at the helm.

12 hours ago, Thunder fan said:

He is a class act . Had a serious injury but he just has that thing you can’t buy , sheer pace . An X factor player who it was a bitter blow to lose and I’m sure there’s more than a few clubs monitoring him 

5 hours ago, JonM said:

That's great, the clips don't show any of that though. They're on Thunder's twitter if you want to see them.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

17 hours ago, Thunder fan said:

ritson is a star in the making , a big loss when he left town , sheer pace , offence and defence is excellent , rumoured to be moniored by several clubs , enjoy the ride he has real exfactor .

16 hours ago, jayemm said:

Big games and interesting which  will draw the biggest  crowd. 

id imagine when we play bradford at home it will draw the biggest crowd as its being played on the Friday night before the magic weekend, we always get bigger crowds on our magic friday games.

20 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Worrying for Hemel to concede 74 and fail to score at home. I just dont see them lasting much longer the way things are.

Newcastle going so well in many areas and the future looks very positive. Will be interesting when they play York and Bradford as feel they could beat either at home.

cant wait until we play them both, should be great games, lots of good teams in this league, going to be a very competitive league indeed.

Archived