Denver NZ v England test is "certain" to go ahead

Scubby

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Abicus said:

Brent Read (The Australian newspaper journo) states it is more likely than not that it is called off next week, on a scale of 1 to 10 he gave it an 8.

That will be a sad day for Rugby League and will confirm how insular NRL clubs are.

Why don't the NRL clubs via a Rugby League international want to tap into the most lucrative sports market in the world?

Its not as though the clubs are flush with money

1 hour ago, Abicus said:

Brent Read (The Australian newspaper journo) states it is more likely than not that it is called off next week, on a scale of 1 to 10 he gave it an 8.

James Hooper on triple m said exactly the opposite..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I was just reading it seems like the NRL clubs will not allow players to go. I cannot believe they could, or think they have a right to sabotage a sanctioned  international RL game on a weekend when the NRL clubs are not playing. if they can do this, I think the game is a farce and a joke. It will show who runs really the game and that the RLIF is powerless in the face of Australian self interest and disinterest in the progress of the game internationally. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

I was just reading it seems like the NRL clubs will not allow players to go. I cannot believe they could, or think they have a right to sabotage a sanctioned  international RL game on a weekend when the NRL clubs are not playing. if they can do this, I think the game is a farce and a joke. It will show who runs really the game and that the RLIF is powerless in the face of Australian self interest and disinterest in the progress of the game internationally. 

If the worst happens a boycott of everything NRL and the Kangaroos needs to happen. 

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

If the worst happens a boycott of everything NRL and the Kangaroos needs to happen. 

I don't think the rest of the world has the guts to stand up to them. I would love to see the rest of the world boycott Australia over this. The Aussies would remain in their insular shell but it would affect them the longer it went on. 

The game can still go ahead with England playing a World Invitation side with players from the other home nations, France and PNG. Depending on where players come from, some money could go to that nation's RL admin. A shame as the NZRL could really do with some financial assistance and this game would have done that nicely.

One of the reasons I'd like to see North America get into RL is it would balance the power, from Australia calling the shots and everyone else kowtowing, to the NH having more say. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Is there any real danger of this game being called off or is it just paper talk?

Paper talk in my opinion. They already announced the teams and have started selling tickets. There would be significant financial penalties I’d imagine if NZ pulled out. Can’t see it. They’d be a compromise even if it means limiting the number of players per team (hope it doesn’t get to that). Looks like posturing to me

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Paper talk in my opinion. They already announced the teams and have started selling tickets. There would be significant financial penalties I’d imagine if NZ pulled out. Can’t see it. They’d be a compromise even if it means limiting the number of players per team (hope it doesn’t get to that). Looks like posturing to me

Agreed. There’s a lot of column inches, TV shows etc to fill with Aussie league...

8 hours ago, Abicus said:

So who's going to pay back all the compensation to those who bought tickets, flights, hotels? Not to mention loss of income to Denver and hotels etc. No way should Jason Moore have to. 

Irrespective of the outcome of this game, the Aussies have done a lot of damage  in establishing the game in the US on a permanent basis.In a previous post after the recent World Cup I suggested leaving the Aussies to their own devices,the game might prosper then.

The NRL can't cancel this Test, it isn't in their remit, same we've already had at least Brisbane say that their players are free to go, and a number of NZ and England players say they will go if selected.

The worst that they could do is just not force the clubs to release selected players, but I'm sure if push came to shove a match could still be organised.... There are at least 8x NZ eligible players in the Broncos squad plus plenty in SL, etc...

But I'm sure that it won't get to such a point... Thankfully the American fans don't care what Australia is saying, and so far most of the UK press don't either.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

If this match gets cancelled due to NRL interference, then there should be penalties. Australia should be excluded from the RLIF and banned from international competiton for several years as a minimum.

I'm slightly torn on the idea of the RFL implementing a policy of not selecting English-based NRL players. Obviously not players that are already over there, but maybe ones that go in the future. It slightly seems like cutting our nose off to spite our face, but we need a strong response.

1 hour ago, Yakstorm said:

The NRL can't cancel this Test, it isn't in their remit, same we've already had at least Brisbane say that their players are free to go, and a number of NZ and England players say they will go if selected.

The worst that they could do is just not force the clubs to release selected players, but I'm sure if push came to shove a match could still be organised.... There are at least 8x NZ eligible players in the Broncos squad plus plenty in SL, etc...

But I'm sure that it won't get to such a point... Thankfully the American fans don't care what Australia is saying, and so far most of the UK press don't either.

I’ve seen an interview with Moore where he states it the full strength teams (injuries aside) or nothing. Selecting fringe NZ players from SL or the Broncos won’t fulfill that criteria.

rldfsignature.jpg

Even if the test goes ahead with two full-strength sides and is enjoyed by a healthy crowd, it won't shut the Australian media trolls up.

One tiny, minor injury to a player from a NRL club will raise howls of outrage and a call for this sort of event to be banned until the end of time. If an Origin player breaks both legs while playing for NSW or QLD, the same hacks will churn out pages of how the tournament is such a wonderfully tough test of the very best players in the world.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I try to be neutral but the Aussies do seem to be quite caught up with themselves....better to spend less time primping in front of the mirror....the train on NA expansion is currently boarding to leave the station.

South Sydney, as an example, play on June 14 and July 1 (9 days before and 8 days after the game)

Jesus the NRL clubs has players backing up 24 and 48 hours after the ultimate physical pinnacle that is State of Origin. The hypocrisy and their conduct over this is pretty pathetic.

NRL clubs simply thought non-SOO players are a safe bet to carry the team while the lauded players from NSW and Qld are stood down from 2 rounds of fixtures simply to prepare.

Genuine question if paying NZ and England members want to play test football in the spare week what the hell has it got to do with the RLPA? Don't they actually represent them?

If the players just say I'm going what can the NRL do? Sack them all?

On 23/03/2018 at 10:16 PM, Davo5 said:

Yeah but if it's an NRL game so the players won't suffer any effects from travel,apparently,they do everything better don't you know.

No...it will be a season opener so teams will be there in advance and will probly be involved in the late game following week.  The other option mentined was around zero where it's played a week before the season officislly starts then those teams aren't involved in round 1.  So not really the same or hypocritical at all...

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

Genuine question if paying NZ and England members want to play test football in the spare week what the hell has it got to do with the RLPA? Don't they actually represent them?

If the players just say I'm going what can the NRL do? Sack them all?

Well i assume their employer will be able to take action - as they have no game, but technically have work commitments.

This is why breaks like this need to be formal agreements with amounts of time released built in.

11 minutes ago, Abicus said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/kiwis-doctor-insists-there-are-no-welfare-worries-over-denver-test-20180325-p4z65i.html

So, the NRL hasn't consulted the proposed NZRL travelling doctor who says that there are zero safety concerns.

What does he know? Or the people in Denver? They aren’t Australian so wouldn’t have a clue what they are on about.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived