Denver NZ v England test is "certain" to go ahead

Scubby

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m most heartened by this being the first of three Tests in the US. That does suggest they are not d*cking about and have a plan.

I am genuinely gutted for the guys that they had to endure 4 months of fannying around. I think Year 2 there is a great opportunity for travelling fans and ex-pats from both countries to be encouraged to travel overseas or inter-state.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I am genuinely gutted for the guys that they had to endure 4 months of fannying around. I think Year 2 there is a great opportunity for travelling fans and ex-pats from both countries to be encouraged to travel overseas or inter-state.

Yes, indeed. I’d be interested in going next year with enough warning.

Maybe it would have made more sense to build up to Mile High than go there in Year 1 but I’m sure these people know what they are doing.

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes, indeed. I’d be interested in going next year with enough warning.

Maybe it would have made more sense to build up to Mile High than go there in Year 1 but I’m sure these people know what they are doing.

All this stuff may come out shortly. Possibly it may be a 3-year agreement with the stadium and city which potentially will build year on year. What it will give us an insight to over the next few months is what these guys are about in terms of promoting RL to a new audience in the States. The 2025 WC has to be a success over there if the game takes the plunge. If the effort over the next 3 years appears half-hearted then it will bring question marks about their ability to stage a showpiece tournament.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

It's strange to think that Denver was chosen at random. Im sure Moore Sports have put a fair bit of thought in to it and are probably relatively far advanced with partners and sponsors etc. 

I hope that lads like Watkins and shaun Johnson are being made available to US media, if he dropping a line to Russell Crowe and see if he can lend some support, maybe get a few of his celeb mates involved. 

If it is the US v Canada perhaps Junior Vaivai can convince The Rock to cut a few promos. 

Rusty will only be interested if Souths are playing.

rldfsignature.jpg

Just now, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Thought he was big mates with Sam Burgess who, if fit, is sure to be playing. Do you think that might be enough to gain his interest?

Not IMO. He only gets involved if Souths are playing. He’s never, to my knowledge, promoted the USARL or the AMNRL when he’s actually on various US chat shows handing out Souths’ caps.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Not IMO. He only gets involved if Souths are playing. He’s never, to my knowledge, promoted the USARL or the AMNRL when he’s actually on various US chat shows handing out Souths’ caps.

he did send a few tweets during the WC referencing the US team so maybe they can get him interested in this as it is the prep for the 2025 WC, maybe at a later date in not of this game. ether the best promotion for the game will be a great performance by both teams.

I think this game is massive for the game overall as it's forcing  a lot of issues to be discussed by the governing bodies regarding the release of players, international windows and the expansion of the game. whats the next domino effect after this?

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Why are you worried? We have been going 123 years and have gone from filling Wembley to there being 25,000 empty seats. We went from 43k at the Olympic Stadium (v NZ 2015) to 34k 12 months later (v Aus) with 20,000 empty seats. We took the 2017 World Cup final to the hotbed of RL in Brisbane and there were 14,000 empty seats.

As an example, I believe Harlequins and Saracens took big games to Twickenham and Wembley respectively a few years ago, and in the first year both venues were less than half full. I don't remember anyone in RU circles being worried about that. A few years later they both topped 80,000 as they stuck at it and didn't bail out.

If we even got 25k in Denver it would be pretty impressive IMO and the 3rd highest International RL crowd in the last 12 months (World Cup included).

Why? No idea what the Denver sports market is as a whole but there's no reason to expect they are the same as the miserable Englishmen or dreadful Aussie RL fans.

2 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Why? No idea what the Denver sports market is as a whole but there's no reason to expect they are the same as the miserable Englishmen or dreadful Aussie RL fans.

Exactly, people who have no idea of the promoters or the market are spouting a lot. I think the last thing this venture needs to be about is counting a portion of empty seats in a stadium the size of Old Trafford.

Tickets go on sale on March 5, match will be a Double Header, most likely involving USA v Canada, but that will be confirmed later.

https://www.rugbyleaguechallenge.com

Kick off 12pm local time for the curtain raiser and 2pm for England v New Zealand. Works out to be 9pm broadcast into UK and 8am into Auckland.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

6 hours ago, Big Picture said:

No, it's 1,668 km away in Houston but the RU match being played a week earlier is perfectly fine.

This way the inferior form of rugby can be a sort of opening act for the superior form of the game, and Usonian sports fans can compare the two and see with ease what makes ours superior.

Lets hope the inferior form of rugby doesn't bore the pants off the speccies enough so that they abandon any thought of returning a week later.

Coming soon - Code Wars: episode 327

Watch with amazement as rugby union fans from the UK, Australia and their local US affiliates bombard every social media mention of the match with variations of “Be warned! That’s not real rugby!”. 

23 minutes ago, Chanter said:

Lets hope the inferior form of rugby doesn't bore the pants off the speccies enough so that they abandon any thought of returning a week later.

There's no reason why it would.  The two matches could well draw totally different crowds with no overlap to speak of.

Archived