Denver NZ v England test is "certain" to go ahead

Scubby

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the US play in the earlier match the atmosphere amongst the park footballers in the east coast competition will be electrifying. Imagine playing in front of barely anyone for years and then being plucked from obscurity to play in that stadium. Same for the Canadians if they are the opponents.

Love the website, very professional and alread promoting the 2025 world cup https://www.rugbyleaguechallenge.com/index.html

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

D15F0793-223B-4948-B48D-D114F9FC232C.png

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

54 minutes ago, Copa said:

If the US play in the earlier match the atmosphere amongst the park footballers in the east coast competition will be electrifying. Imagine playing in front of barely anyone for years and then being plucked from obscurity to play in that stadium. Same for the Canadians if they are the opponents.

Asking first-time viewers and American football fans to sit through two straight matches of a sport they've never seen before is a really tough ask and not something we should be even considering IMO. Plus, relegating the USA national team to curtain-jerkers would be a terrible look for the American public, especially as it would expose the huge gulf in standard between the USA amateurs and elite international players of England and NZ. Having the USA team in a curtain-raiser would be really counter-productive and a terrible move IMO. Plus, in 2025 we'd have to sell these matches without the draw of the USA team being there so it really would defeat the object of the match as well. Critical thinking required which sadly always seems to be lacking in RL.

14 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Asking first-time viewers and American football fans to sit through two straight matches of a sport they've never seen before is a really tough ask and not something we should be even considering IMO. Plus, relegating the USA national team to curtain-jerkers would be a terrible look for the American public, especially as it would expose the huge gulf in standard between the USA amateurs and elite international players of England and NZ. Having the USA team in a curtain-raiser would be really counter-productive and a terrible move IMO. Plus, in 2025 we'd have to sell these matches without the draw of the USA team being there so it really would defeat the object of the match as well. Critical thinking required which sadly always seems to be lacking in RL.

people don't have to show up until the main event of they don't want too, the first game is a freebie. The US is very patriotic so giving them a chance to see Team USA play could actually be a big draw for patriotic Yanks. remember when the US wasn't at all interested in soccer...hosted a WC and now is soccer mad?

They will be doing things to draw in the local market, not appease the M62 so don't freak out if you see some stuff that you don't like...it's not being catered to you.

3 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

They will be doing things to draw in the local market, not appease the M62 so don't freak out if you see some stuff that you don't like...it's not being catered to you.

I think that’s a key point. The marketers are professionals marketing to US citizens. They’ll market it differently to how they’d do it in the uk or elsewhere. They’ve also got 3 years of games to fine tune. I suspect the first few will also aim to host potential sponsors, investors and TV executives.

30 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Asking first-time viewers and American football fans to sit through two straight matches of a sport they've never seen before is a really tough ask and not something we should be even considering IMO.

Have you ever been to an American football or baseball game? They go about the same amount of time as two games of RL and the spectators seem to spend as much time on food & drink as they do watching the action. (NFL game is typically over 3 hours, of which just over 10 minutes when the ball is in play.)

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm no doctor but don't athletes regularly train at altitude to improve performance? Seems strange everyone is so sure players will be hampered by it rather than benefit from it.

There's less Oxygen, so it's harder to do anything that requires endurance. If you train at altitude, your body adjusts (for example by making more red blood cells), which potentially translates into better performance when you drop back down to sea level. 1600 metres isn't high enough for it to be a big effect but players will find it harder in Denver - it's a widely accepted factor in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

people don't have to show up until the main event of they don't want too, the first game is a freebie. The US is very patriotic so giving them a chance to see Team USA play could actually be a big draw for patriotic Yanks. remember when the US wasn't at all interested in soccer...hosted a WC and now is soccer mad?

Firstly I'm absolutely nowhere near the M62 and have been an advocate of American expansion and calling for this type of match to take place for over 10 years, so don't give me that ######. Secondly, as I clearly explained in my post, American fans seeing a team of amateurs playing at an embarrassingly low standard followed by a bunch of foreign elite pros playing at the highest standard isn't going to endear the sport to anybody in that country, it's going to send a clear message to them that their own team sucks. The absolute worst thing to do to Americans. It also dilutes the contest and turns the event from a high-profile exhibition match involving world-caliber teams to some sort of festival of a sport they don't know about, there's also a chance fans would show up for the USA game and then go home before the 'main event' which again defeats the purpose of the match, which is to expose Americans to high-level elite RL and test the market for the 2025 WC. Where not every game will involve a USA team playing beforehand. So yeah, I'm well aware it's not trying to appease the M62 but sadly it seems like others aren't.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Have you ever been to an American football or baseball game? They go about the same amount of time as two games of RL and the spectators seem to spend as much time on food & drink as they do watching the action. (NFL game is typically over 3 hours, of which just over 10 minutes when the ball is in play.)

Yeah more to the point there's huge psychological difference between watching one game that lasts a long time and watching two separate games.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

There's less Oxygen, so it's harder to do anything that requires endurance. If you train at altitude, your body adjusts (for example by making more red blood cells), which potentially translates into better performance when you drop back down to sea level. 1600 metres isn't high enough for it to be a big effect but players will find it harder in Denver - it's a widely accepted factor in the NFL.

Also there’s every chance that it will be extremely hot in Denver at that time of year so physically it will be very challenging. At the very least I expect it will be played in 4 quarters to factor in a couple of drinks breaks.

17 minutes ago, Steve Fox said:

Also there’s every chance that it will be extremely hot in Denver at that time of year so physically it will be very challenging. At the very least I expect it will be played in 4 quarters to factor in a couple of drinks breaks.

For the players or the fans? North American sports fans appear to love their visits to the concession stands.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

For the players or the fans? North American sports fans appear to love their visits to the concession stands.

For the players....to have to go from playing at low altitude to a quick high altitude game is funny...when playing it slows you down after you just start getting in the grove and knocks you back down to struggling...then back up and then back down and never fully amped...it is a real factor in Denver....the fittest team will probably have an edge is my prediction....the subs will be critical to game outcome in reference to fitness.

Thems the facts..."Looks like we got us a big game bird in North America to cook Mama!!!!...where are dem dere American boys on the forum."  The idea of a Can./US game beforehand  is great.....the Americans will love it...they are a very patriotic people.

On 28/02/2018 at 10:30 AM, RLWC2025 said:

Hi, I'm with Moore Sports Int'l who's behind the RLWC 2025 and the upcoming International Challenge in Denver. Happy to answer any questions...

Is Moore Sports International still keen on developing a pro rugby league competition in North America.

8 minutes ago, B rad said:

I don't think that's really their job

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-plan-to-bring-professional-rugby-league-to-the-united-states-20171125-gzsrrq.html

The man who brought Major League Baseball to Australia and landed the 2025 Rugby League World Cup for the US has opened up on his plans to start a domestic league in America by 2020.

But perhaps his most ambitious project is setting up a domestic league in the US and Canada. Under the working title Rugby League Association, Moore intends to create a sustainable competition that will provide pathways and content for Americans during the NFL off-season.

"We're looking at an eight to 10-team competition in the USA and Canada," Moore said.

"Our sweet spot is to look at big cities, [but also] second- and third-level cities where we can be a bigger show in the local market, as opposed to being a tiny fish in a big ocean.”

56 minutes ago, Copa said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-plan-to-bring-professional-rugby-league-to-the-united-states-20171125-gzsrrq.html

The man who brought Major League Baseball to Australia and landed the 2025 Rugby League World Cup for the US has opened up on his plans to start a domestic league in America by 2020.

But perhaps his most ambitious project is setting up a domestic league in the US and Canada. Under the working title Rugby League Association, Moore intends to create a sustainable competition that will provide pathways and content for Americans during the NFL off-season.

"We're looking at an eight to 10-team competition in the USA and Canada," Moore said.

"Our sweet spot is to look at big cities, [but also] second- and third-level cities where we can be a bigger show in the local market, as opposed to being a tiny fish in a big ocean.”

Moore is a promoter that will try his hand at anything if it makes a dollar,.

Good luck to him.

"Moore, who was keen to make a splash by organising a big event, had been in ultimately fruitless talks to take a Bledisloe Cup rugby union match to Denver in the United States between Australia and New Zealand before turning his attention to baseball"

"Moore’s next big challenge involves searching for investors for franchises for a fledgling professional rugby union competition"

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/the-nut-who-brought-americas-pastime-to-sydney-20140321-ixbxb

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

Moore is a promoter that will try his hand at anything if it makes a dollar,.

Good luck to him.

"Moore, who was keen to make a splash by organising a big event, had been in ultimately fruitless talks to take a Bledisloe Cup rugby union match to Denver in the United States between Australia and New Zealand before turning his attention to baseball"

"Moore’s next big challenge involves searching for investors for franchises for a fledgling professional rugby union competition"

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/the-nut-who-brought-americas-pastime-to-sydney-20140321-ixbxb

Agreed, we have nothing to lose. I think committing to something that is 8 years away is a bit more than chancing your arm with Moore and RL. Promoters see opportunity. However, I'm not sure there are 8 or 10 determined enough parties to make a USA franchised league work anytime soon. 

The pro-league is unlikely to happen, unless of course the RFL don't accept Hamilton, Boston and New York; plus Toronto gets unfairly blocked for Super League.

If that happens, then that's the first four clubs straight away. Throw in Denver, Jacksonville and two other teams and there's a US Pro League.

Unlikely, as I imagine the RFL / SL will want to fast track NYC and will look after Toronto.

Anyway regardless, at least Moore has seen value in RL and is underwriting these ventures. We should work with him for as long as he is prepared to invest and it is providing value for the code.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

25 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

The pro-league is unlikely to happen, unless of course the RFL don't accept Hamilton, Boston and New York; plus Toronto gets unfairly blocked for Super League.

If that happens, then that's the first four clubs straight away. Throw in Denver, Jacksonville and two other teams and there's a US Pro League.

Unlikely, as I imagine the RFL / SL will want to fast track NYC and will look after Toronto.

Anyway regardless, at least Moore has seen value in RL and is underwriting these ventures. We should work with him for as long as he is prepared to invest and it is providing value for the code.

Best case scenario they could look at setting up on the West Coast & Central states in places that are "out of reach" to the English comps. It would be very very hard setting up a pro comp though, even harder than delivering a sucessful World Cup in 2025 IMO.

50 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Is there much to suggest it would do better than PRORugby?  A new league has lots that could go wrong and there are few examples of a new pro-league being a good way to set up a new sport.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Is there much to suggest it would do better than PRORugby?  A new league has lots that could go wrong and there are few examples of a new pro-league being a good way to set up a new sport.

As much as we deride it, three or four strong North American clubs in the UK competition perhaps breaking away to form a conference with another couple of new clubs and then playing a Champions League style comp with SL - actually seems a pragmatic avenue for growth if it can be funded. 

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/nrl-clubs-demand-answers-from-todd-greenberg-on-julys-denver-test/news-story/d3d56e9ce3db3b2e7cce1c75e5fda43d

"AT least five NRL clubs have already written to NRL boss Todd Greenberg this week expressing extreme concerns around the mid-year Test in Denver this year as one of the game’s biggest names commits to the match.
The match between New Zealand and England in June was officially announced this week despite a stack of trepidation in club land.

A flurry of emails have been sent between club bosses and Greenberg since the announcement.

It is understood South Sydney have led the way, while Melbourne, Parramatta and Penrith have also expressed serious reservations. Canberra coach Ricky Stuart publicly questioned the timing of the game this week.

While no club has threatened to boycott the game, yet they have asked Greenberg to chase the New Zealand Rugby League and their British counterparts for further information.

The NZRL tried to allay some fears in an email to all 16 club bosses earlier this week. As part of the email — obtained by Sport Confidential — Kiwis chief executive Alex Hayton detailed travel plans."

Players from St George Illawarra and Parramatta are expected to play 48 hours later at WIN Stadium. But that won’t stop Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop from representing England.

“I would never turn down the opportunity to play for my country,” Widdop said. “Representing your country is the pinnacle and it does not come around too often. Any time you can pull the jersey on, it’s a massive honour and occasion.

“It works out that we play 48 hours later but at the end of the day it’s been done. There’s nothing much we can do about it now"

“(James Graham and I) have had some brief chats about it. He is the same. He is passionate and if he has the opportunity to pull the jersey on he’ll be jumping at the chance.

“To grow the game in general and spread the game over there so I think it’s a good thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The players want to play. The clubs don't want them.

Archived