Spend a penny

Spend a penny  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Scrap the 1p and 2p

• Get rid?
    • Keep them?

The government is looking into getting rid of the 1p and 2p?

Are they used anymore, apart from to fill a jar in the corner?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

When I get home, I empty my change from my pockets, filter out the 1p, 2p and 5p and stick them in an empty 5 litre water bottle.  Last time I emptied it into one of those change conversion things I got £105.

Beyond that, copper coins are just an annoyance, get shot of them and make the minimum denomination 5p.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Get rid, but make 5p coins bigger and feel less like the kind of currency you get in a child's board game. I hate 'em!

We’ll be back to shillings and farthings soon to go with our blue passports

In the Netherlands the 1 and 2 cent coins are long gone, maybe also in other European countries(?). In supermarkets where you buy by weight, the end price is rounded to the nearest €0.05. Some you win some you lose.

Can't see why we don't adopt the same here.

Just now, RidingPie said:

only slight concern for me is this will nudge inflation slightly higher as, lets face it anything costing 99p will be rounded up to £1.

Or, it could end up being £0.95. 

The penny is worth less than the halfpenny was when we got rid and I do not miss that.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Or, it could end up being £0.95. 

The penny is worth less than the halfpenny was when we got rid and I do not miss that.

oh I don't mind it going, but lets be honest, anything over 95p is going up not being rounded down. I will be pleasantly surprised though if the opposite happens.

Charities have cried foul as so many of the coppers go to them and apparently they make a lot of money from them being thrown in their collection boxes.

I wasn't sure what to think of that.  Are we really that stingy or is it a good way of giving?

19 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

oh I don't mind it going, but lets be honest, anything over 95p is going up not being rounded down. I will be pleasantly surprised though if the opposite happens.

The idea of using 99p (or 95p) or £1.99 or £2.99 is that it sounds psychologically less than it's uprounded whole number.  Hence I think more will round down than up.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

35 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

only slight concern for me is this will nudge inflation slightly higher as, lets face it anything costing 99p will be rounded up to £1.

I don't think that is necessarily true. There is a reason why companies put prices at £x.99 so if it is still advantageous they will. Moreover, I think the question is about coins, not removing the concept of the £0.01 or £0.02 value. So if people are paying by card it will still be £0.99.

I say get rid.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I don't think that is necessarily true. There is a reason why companies put prices at £x.99 so if it is still advantageous they will. Moreover, I think the question is about coins, not removing the concept of the £0.01 or £0.02 value. So if people are paying by card it will still be £0.99.

I say get rid.

Apparently there were similar comments when the changeover happened to the decimal system.  However, prices only went one way.

No.10 has already done a U-turn.  Charities have made a big noise about the possibility of coppers disappearing and so it looks now like there won't be a review into the suggestion after all.  This may have been one of the chancellor's little ideas rather than government policy.

1 hour ago, High Peak Rhino said:

In the Netherlands the 1 and 2 cent coins are long gone, maybe also in other European countries(?). In supermarkets where you buy by weight, the end price is rounded to the nearest €0.05. Some you win some you lose.

Can't see why we don't adopt the same here.

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Apparently there were similar comments when the changeover happened to the decimal system.  However, prices only went one way.

Got rid of the penny a couple of years ago in Canada...no big deal...they just rounded, usually up.

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what about all the dodgy petrol pumps that - no matter how careful you are charge you £20.01p everytime?

Most petrol pumps these days allow you to pre-set the amount you want, so you can set it to £20 and it vends to exactly that.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

Most petrol pumps these days allow you to pre-set the amount you want, so you can set it to £20 and it vends to exactly that.

Yes but the last quids worth takes forever.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

5 hours ago, ckn said:

When I get home, I empty my change from my pockets, filter out the 1p, 2p and 5p and stick them in an empty 5 litre water bottle.  Last time I emptied it into one of those change conversion things I got £105.

And a bad back presumably.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Charities have cried foul as so many of the coppers go to them and apparently they make a lot of money from them being thrown in their collection boxes.

I wasn't sure what to think of that.  Are we really that stingy or is it a good way of giving?

I was surprised when we had the shop how when the change was 1p, 2p or 5p, people would just walk off or say throw it in the charity tub, so I can see how it adds up for them as an effortless way of raising funds.

35 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

And a bad back presumably.

It was straight into a trolley to take into Tesco to use their machine so I didn't have to carry it further than the house to the car really.

41 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Yes but the last quids worth takes forever.

No matter how hard you shake your peg, the last few drops run down your leg.

Same thing really. ?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Most?

i don’t know of one round our way.

i do live in Wiltshire though

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

Surely market forces set prices, not the coinage available. Do I need to re-read my Adam Smith?

It is a non-issue.  

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Most?

i don’t know of one round our way.

i do live in Wiltshire though

It’s one thing most people don’t notice, just look for the £10, £1 and so on signs next time you fill up. I can’t think of one supermarket filling point that doesn’t have them. 

Archived