Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

We watched the new Dune film tonight. I thought 2hrs 40-odd would be an OK amount of time to fit the book into, maybe with some bits cut. 2hrs in, we weren’t even 1/3 of the way through the book content, it finally sunk in that it wasn’t the whole thing.

Annoyed now as it was like going to a fancy restaurant, getting a starter that was OK, showed some promise for the main course then being told “come back in a year or two for the main course”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 17/04/2022 at 00:57, ckn said:

We watched the new Dune film tonight. I thought 2hrs 40-odd would be an OK amount of time to fit the book into, maybe with some bits cut. 2hrs in, we weren’t even 1/3 of the way through the book content, it finally sunk in that it wasn’t the whole thing.

Annoyed now as it was like going to a fancy restaurant, getting a starter that was OK, showed some promise for the main course then being told “come back in a year or two for the main course”

I'm halfway through Dune, but won't be finishing it.

What a pile of poo. 💩

Watched the movie "Mary, Queen of Scots " (2018) on Netflix, one reviewer summed it up better than I could -  "a kind of nothing of a film. It's neither a rigorous history lesson nor a particularly interesting work of drama and character".

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, Exiled Townie said:

Watched the movie "Mary, Queen of Scots " (2018) on Netflix, one reviewer summed it up better than I could -  "a kind of nothing of a film. It's neither a rigorous history lesson nor a particularly interesting work of drama and character".

There'a far too many films stealing creative space like this and when viewed alongside the scraping the artistic barrel ones, usually called remakes or prequels, it does seem the film industry has lost its way ... big time.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

There's far too many films stealing creative space like this and when viewed alongside the scraping the artistic barrel ones, usually called remakes or prequels, it does seem the film industry has lost its way ... big time.

Yep, been some stinkers out there lately that promised so much more. Was looking forward to The King (2019). supposedly the tale of Henry V and the battle of Agincourt - what a let down, total rubbish.

(The only bit I enjoyed was the accent of Robert Pattinson as the Dauphin who sounded like Officer Crabtree from 'Allo, Allo'.)

• Haha 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

On 17/04/2022 at 00:57, ckn said:

It was basically a prequel to good bits in the desert. I did like it but having watched David Lynch’s version and the Sci Fi channel’s mini series, I’m not sure if this is any better? Maybe that’ll be answered with part 2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

It was basically a prequel to good bits in the desert. I did like it but having watched David Lynch’s version and the Sci Fi channel’s mini series, I’m not sure if this is any better? Maybe that’ll be answered with part 2

I do have a bit of a liking for Rebecca Ferguson. She was a definite plus in the movie...

There... I said a thing I like about it.

It was OK, part 2 has to really step it up though.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 hours ago, ckn said:

I do have a bit of a liking for Rebecca Ferguson. She was a definite plus in the movie...

There... I said a thing I like about it.

It was OK, part 2 has to really step it up though.

Have they actually confirmed Part 2?

They hadn't when Part 1 was released.

EDIT

My error, missed it, scheduled for a release at the end of October next year.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

Yep, been some stinkers out there lately

I remember some of the films about film makers in the past where they'd portray themselves as makers of quality merchandise, hardly likely now and questionable even then. It reminds me of films about Journalists with integrity ..... a nice idea as dead as the Dodo!

In my mind all these old film plots are in black and white, which probably indicates their vintage and lack of resonance with modern life.

What's funny is that I'm banned from politics on here but I think I just made the most politically contentious posting I've ever made.🤣

• Haha 1

Someone just took the trailer for this year's Batman flick and used the magic of editing to show how much better it would have been with Adam West, Burgess Meredith etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Someone just took the trailer for this year's Batman flick and used the magic of editing to show how much better it would have been with Adam West, Burgess Meredith etc.

Adam West's Batmobile is still awesome.

Atomic Batteries to Power, Turbines to Speed.

" The age of Adeline"

This is harmless but narration replaces decent script and storyline explanation which is always the give away of cinematic cluelessness!

• 2 weeks later...

The right people are involved, but I have misgivings about a sequel to This is Spinal Tap.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/this-is-spinal-tap-sequel-rob-reiner-1235145907/

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The right people are involved, but I have misgivings about a sequel to This is Spinal Tap.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/this-is-spinal-tap-sequel-rob-reiner-1235145907/

For God's sake! Making sequels of old, classic films had already got to the point of utter ridiculousness with the upcoming release of Top Gun 2 but a sequel to Spinal Tap?! That on top of the announcement of a TV sequel to Full Monty is millimetres from tipping me over the edge to the point of borrowing a tank off some Ukrainian farmers and invading Hollywood!

JUST MAKE SOMETHING ###### ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Remaking Midwitch is a story of making the same film based on one which wasn't exactly great in the first place and yet more evidence of artistic bankruptcy in the film industry.

Surely that lack of ideas would make a far better script than an update kids go scary.