Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

the popes exorcist - starts well but just goes in to the same old same old - riding that lambretta from italy to spain? he must have had lots of faith!

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the popes exorcist - starts well but just goes in to the same old same old - riding that lambretta from italy to spain? he must have had lots of faith!

Russell Crowe's accent travels further than that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've just watched The Warriors for the first time in God knows how long.

One of the best looking films ever made in my opinion and I'd forgotten how powerful that electronic music score is. That music just sent me right back to my teen years which was probably the last time I saw that film. It gives it a whole new dimension and almost moves the film away from action thriller to more like a dystopian science fiction film. I also feel like it has an element of cyberpunk in there given the night time setting, all the distinctive outfits and appearances and the neon lights. It's incredible how it straddles so many very different genres.

It's a film that doesn't try to conform to a particular formula which I absolutely love. I just love watching something very distinct and original. Absolute classic. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

One of the best looking films ever made in my opinion and I'd forgotten how powerful that electronic music score is. That music just sent me right back to my teen years which was probably the last time I saw that film. It gives it a whole new dimension and almost moves the film away from action thriller to more like a dystopian science fiction film. I also feel like it has an element of cyberpunk in there given the night time setting, all the distinctive outfits and appearances and the neon lights. It's incredible how it straddles so many very different genres.

It's a film that doesn't try to conform to a particular formula which I absolutely love. I just love watching something very distinct and original. Absolute classic. 

Part 1 of a really comprehensive three-part revisit of the various locations used: https://www.scoutingny.com/the-new-york-city-filming-locations-of-the-warriors-ny-youve-changed/ 

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A Beginner's Guide to Soviet Sci-Fi Cinema. A quick and useful guide for those who want to jot down a few promising names for future viewing. Some of the animated stuff looks especially mad.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/06/2023 at 14:47, The Hallucinating Goose said:

One of my top ten movies of all time. John wick 4 gives a nod to it

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

• 2 weeks later...

Just featured in the Radio 4 Today programme, the Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds has re-opened after a major refurb. It is believed to be the last surviving cinema in the world with gas lighting.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

I enjoyed it.  Nice set pieces.  As daft a story as any of them.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

18 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Finally got round to watching the Big Lebowski. Thought it was superb.

It is widely loved, but compared to other Coen Brother films I've enjoyed, I felt there was something mean-spirited, cold and lazy about TBL. I know I am in a minority on this, but that was my gut reaction.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

It is widely loved, but compared to other Coen Brother films I've enjoyed, I felt there was something mean-spirited, cold and lazy about TBL. I know I am in a minority on this, but that was my gut reaction.

I can't really get on with the Coen Brothers, especially their comedy efforts. I do absolutely love No Country For Old Men, one of my favourite films, but I can't say I'm particularly keen on many others. 

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I can't really get on with the Coen Brothers, especially their comedy efforts. I do absolutely love No Country For Old Men, one of my favourite films, but I can't say I'm particularly keen on many others. 

Personal Coen favourites are Raising Arizona and Miller's Crossing - two movies that are tonally as opposite as you can get.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

First time I saw  Burn after reading was when I was ill and just lying on the sofa. Had no idea what the hell it was. I recorded it for son to watch as I didn't believe it.

Coen Brothers comedies tend to all be like this. Ridiculously confusing and convoluted. As Futtocks says, the best comedy is Raising Arizona which is far more straight forward, essentially a couple of screwball criminals who end up in charge of a baby, if I remember rightly. Their crime films are much better in my opinion. 

I've been on a post-apocalyptic B-movie binge recently.

This basically means 90% of all Italian movies released in 1988.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Coen Brothers comedies tend to all be like this. Ridiculously confusing and convoluted. As Futtocks says, the best comedy is Raising Arizona which is far more straight forward, essentially a couple of screwball criminals who end up in charge of a baby, if I remember rightly. Their crime films are much better in my opinion. 

Think it was so many stars playing against type that caught my attention. I have no issue with Coen films, not sure comedy is the term I would use but I feel that about many modern programmes too.

The Barbie film may well turn out to be rubbish, but the marketing is fantastic.

• Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

A short film for people of a certain age. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've started watching the Mission: Impossible films through. I've seen the first 3 before but none after that and it's been years since I saw those ones. 

I watched the first one today and must say I enjoyed it quite a bit. A nice, toned down, understated spy thriller. I couldn't remember much from it at all seen as its probably closing on 20 years since I last saw it and I feel its nicely set up the series so I'm looking forward to number 2 tomorrow. 

I have no major criticisms of the film although I did think the acting was a little wooden from a couple of individuals and the story was a bit laboured; it seems like a pretty simple, thin storyline that had been meticulously padded out. And as a train nerd I was a bit disappointed with the use of a TGV instead of the Eurostar (I'm guessing Eurostar did not want to be involved in the film) and the very inaccurate representation of the Channel Tunnel, but as I say, these are not major complaints and I did enjoy the film quite a bit! 

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've started watching the Mission: Impossible films through. I've seen the first 3 before but none after that and it's been years since I saw those ones. 

I watched the first one today and must say I enjoyed it quite a bit. A nice, toned down, understated spy thriller. I couldn't remember much from it at all seen as its probably closing on 20 years since I last saw it and I feel its nicely set up the series so I'm looking forward to number 2 tomorrow. 

I have no major criticisms of the film although I did think the acting was a little wooden from a couple of individuals and the story was a bit laboured; it seems like a pretty simple, thin storyline that had been meticulously padded out. And as a train nerd I was a bit disappointed with the use of a TGV instead of the Eurostar (I'm guessing Eurostar did not want to be involved in the film) and the very inaccurate representation of the Channel Tunnel, but as I say, these are not major complaints and I did enjoy the film quite a bit! 

Number two takes a bit of style change with i think John Woo directing. 3 onwards start to following an ongoing story line - hope your mission is an enjoyable one 👌🏻

• Thanks 1