Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think they did a bad job, tbh. The army of wide eyed kids who watched the original film in 1977 couldn't go online on forums and twitter and whatnot to pull the plot to bits within minute

And the glaring plot hole   

Following a suitable period of reflection  

Posted Images

The REVANANT. brill,seen it before but could follow it as i were on a plane to chicago.10 outa 10.

A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team.

Writers:

Mark L. Smith (screenplay), Alejandro G. Iñárritu (screenplay) | 1 more credit »
36 minutes ago, silverback said:

The REVANANT. brill,seen it before but could follow it as i were on a plane to chicago.10 outa 10.

A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team.

Writers:

Mark L. Smith (screenplay), Alejandro G. Iñárritu (screenplay) | 1 more credit »

Saw it in the cinema, it was relentlessly brutal.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 09/08/2020 at 19:14, Red Willow said:

Just watched Split, what a performance from McAvoy. Not what I expected. I did enjoy it though

Split is part of a trilogy so if you haven’t seen them probably worth watching the other two films. 

Brooklyn Rules (2007) on Amazon Prime.....

written by Terence Winter- he of Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire; starring Freddie Prinze Junior.  Set in Brooklyn, 1985, the mob world as a backdrop, three life-long friends struggle with questions of love, loss and loyalty.  A great soundtrack. 
Certainly a film that didn’t get a wide showing looking at the box office receipts, but worth a look.

Midway (2019)

Accurate depiction of a key naval air battle during WW2 in the Pacific that turned the balance of power decisively against the Japanese.

Good use of CGI, the perspective of both sides shown and it moves along at a fair pace.  It’s not littered with amazing performances but it does the job.

Thankfully the writers decided against the ridiculous characterisations and subplots which plagued the awful Pearl Harbour film which was the previous modern take on the subject.

7.5/10

Coherence.

Coherence is an American surreal psychological science fiction thriller film directed by James Ward Byrkit in his directorial debut.[3] The film had its world debut on September 19, 2013 at the Austin Fantastic Fest and stars Emily Baldoni as a woman who must deal with strange occurrences following the close passing of a comet.[4]

It's on Amazon Prime but you might find it elsewhere

Watched 3 films yesterday bit of a mixed bag

the judge with Robert Duvall and Downey jr good in parts but drawn out and predictable.

Identity, john Cusack and ray liotta. A horror film, not a massive fan of the genre really but it was ok.

Checked out brooklyn rules what was recommended above, the best of the three we watched.  I'd not heard of it before, but certainly decent 

A minor Studio Ghibli anime, but an entertaining one, The Cat returns. The curmudgeonly, greedy and destructive Muta aka Renaldo Moon is one of my favourite Ghibli characters.

muta-2248.jpg

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

The reviews for Bill and Ted seem to be positive so far!

(I just read the headlines rather than the actual review...)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just rewatched The Battle of Britain (1969)

I still think there’s strong performances from Robert Shaw and Christopher Plummer in this and it doesn’t fall into the trap of many WW2 films around it’s time of being jingoistic.  I believe it’s a good stab at the history and conveying the conflict from both sides’ perspectives.

The actual real flying sequences are nothing short of spectacular and capture an element of realism that CGI seems to fail on when these kind of air battles are overly ‘busy’ when simulated.

Can’t do a review without mentioning the amazing sound track both effects and musical score which elevate the action a lot.

9/10

33 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just rewatched The Battle of Britain (1969)

I still think there’s strong performances from Robert Shaw and Christopher Plummer in this and it doesn’t fall into the trap of many WW2 films around it’s time of being jingoistic.  I believe it’s a good stab at the history and conveying the conflict from both sides’ perspectives.

The actual real flying sequences are nothing short of spectacular and capture an element of realism that CGI seems to fail on when these kind of air battles are overly ‘busy’ when simulated.

Can’t do a review without mentioning the amazing sound track both effects and musical score which elevate the action a lot.

9/10

I love a war film . Battle of the Bulge and A Bridge To Far have entertained me again recently 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yeah, rotten tomatoes have it at 80% approval which for a modern day Hollywood comedy is a really decent score. I didn't even realise there was another Bill and Ted coming out until you just mentioned it. 

• Like 1

I watched Joker on Sky Cinema recently.

I'd avoided it on cinema release as it looked a bit too dark for my taste.

Having seen it now, I can understand why Joaquin Phoenix won so many accolades for his performance.

• Like 3

A rewatch here and well worth it too,some a the best from al.a film that a bit of everything.

Stand Up Guys is a 2012 American crime comedy film directed by Fisher Stevens and starring Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, and Alan Arkin. The film was released in North America on February 1, 2013. "Stand up guy" is an American phrase meaning a loyal and reliable friend.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The general view is that it is fun. I am am pretty relieved.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Just for a throwback treat, here's some of Alex and Keanu's audition footage for Bill & Ted.

On 15/08/2020 at 07:22, Gerrumonside ref said:

Midway (2019)

Accurate depiction of a key naval air battle during WW2 in the Pacific that turned the balance of power decisively against the Japanese.

Good use of CGI, the perspective of both sides shown and it moves along at a fair pace.  It’s not littered with amazing performances but it does the job.

Thankfully the writers decided against the ridiculous characterisations and subplots which plagued the awful Pearl Harbour film which was the previous modern take on the subject.

7.5/10

I gave it a go last night.  Not as bad as I first feared. 

The action scenes were a bit over the top, and they glossed over the number of balls ups by both sides that could have changed the war.  

A solid 6 or 7 out of 10.

• Like 1