Sign in to follow this  
Yakstorm

Denver Test - Ticket Sales

12 minutes ago, Allora said:

I am with you.

I spent plenty on ###### seats for games at the 2017 WC, all I was prepared to pay at the time, then saw lots of empty seats in far better parts of the stadium and special deals being offered.

Hardly makes you want to do it again and be an early purchaser

A good promoter should have an Idea what sort of crowd they will draw and set their pricing accordingly.

I recently went to a Truck show where positions to display your product was a premium, as the Event got closer they started to discount spots to get more suppliers to be there to make the Event profitable.

In the end they were ringing the big players to be there for no cost, (most declined)

The ones that paid through the nose to guarantee a spot have decided they are not going there next time.

Lets be fair this is a fact of life... i do loads of shows with our company and we span a couple of sectors and this is always the case.. if you want a specific stand you need to get there early to make sure, if you are happy to take whatever you can get then you wait till right at the end when they need to get rid and will sell them for very little.. 

same with matches same with holidays same with everything.. its not just RL its everyone, unless you sell out you can get cheap tickets towards the end.. to say RL is any different to any other walk of life on this is rubbish. I got early tickets for the semi double header to make sure I got them as I promised my 10 year old.. dont care what the rest of the tickets go for as just happy me and him can go. will do the same for other tickets to make sure... or if i'm not that fussed then i would wait, and that goes for theatre tickets too

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RP London said:

Lets be fair this is a fact of life... i do loads of shows with our company and we span a couple of sectors and this is always the case.. if you want a specific stand you need to get there early to make sure, if you are happy to take whatever you can get then you wait till right at the end when they need to get rid and will sell them for very little.. 

same with matches same with holidays same with everything.. its not just RL its everyone, unless you sell out you can get cheap tickets towards the end.. to say RL is any different to any other walk of life on this is rubbish. I got early tickets for the semi double header to make sure I got them as I promised my 10 year old.. dont care what the rest of the tickets go for as just happy me and him can go. will do the same for other tickets to make sure... or if i'm not that fussed then i would wait, and that goes for theatre tickets too

Well that suits you RP London, it does not work for me.

I understand premium prices when there are people paying that price to be there and those seats sell out is one thing, not when many are unsold and empty.

Paying for premium is a fact of life, paying premium prices for ###### when  premium is unsold is something else.

I will not be doing it again, I am not that excited by the game to get bent over again.

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

29 minutes ago, Allora said:

Well that suits you RP London, it does not work for me.

I understand premium prices when there are people paying that price to be there, not when many are unsold and empty.

Paying for premium is a fact of life, paying premium for ###### when premium is unsold is something else.

When I am in the corner paying through the nose for rubbish seats with total mugs around me.

A third of the Stadium empty, mostly the better seats.

I will not be doing it again, I am not that excited by the game to get bent over again.

I am not disagreeing with your annoyance etc, I am simply saying that if you are not prepared to pay for it (because through experience you know it doesn't sell out) then dont.. and if you do for no reason then more fool you. I am prepared to pay the extra to be sure not to upset my son. When it came to the world cup final in 2013 I got tickets the week before the semi final as I didnt mind not getting them if that happened and I didnt mind where I sat. I dont pay in advance for stands at certain shows because I am not fussed on the location so I wait, I do for other shows because we need to be in certain places and its not worth paying less for the not so good spots as we take fewer orders that way.

My point is not what suits you or me (that is a personal decision and you should always make the right one for your personal situation) but that to bemoan it as an RL problem, or "typical RL" which we always see on this sort of thread is utter tripe, it is a fact of life and happens in all businesses across all sectors. 

• Like 1

Of course its typical RL, I have never seen it happen in other sports the way it works in RL. We all know you can buy tickets for our major events a few days before the game and we all know that there is a chance that they will be a good bit cheaper than if you buy early. There isn't even the demand there to give that fear of missing out.There is absolutely no incentive at the moment to buy early at the moment and that is wrong. We should encourage early sales before the teams are even known, in case its an unappealing match, not disincentivise them. The marketing and sales strategy is not coherent in any way and is amateur stuff. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RP London said:

I am not disagreeing with your annoyance etc, I am simply saying that if you are not prepared to pay for it (because through experience you know it doesn't sell out) then dont.. and if you do for no reason then more fool you. I am prepared to pay the extra to be sure not to upset my son. When it came to the world cup final in 2013 I got tickets the week before the semi final as I didnt mind not getting them if that happened and I didnt mind where I sat. I dont pay in advance for stands at certain shows because I am not fussed on the location so I wait, I do for other shows because we need to be in certain places and its not worth paying less for the not so good spots as we take fewer orders that way.

My point is not what suits you or me (that is a personal decision and you should always make the right one for your personal situation) but that to bemoan it as an RL problem, or "typical RL" which we always see on this sort of thread is utter tripe, it is a fact of life and happens in all businesses across all sectors. 

I get what you are saying  RP

Premiums tickets  work when the demand is high.

Selling top shelf to the keen fan who buys early and then giving away better tickets at half the face value upsets plenty.

I went to the semis and final of Last years World Cup, plenty of better seats did not sell and were empty, would I go again for what I paid for the spot again.... Not in a million years.

Each to their own.

Early buyers should be rewarded with better tickets or upgraded if ticket sales are slow IMO.

11 minutes ago, Allora said:

I get what you are saying  RP

Premiums tickets  work when the demand is high.

Selling top shelf to the keen fan who buys early and then giving away better tickets at half the face value upsets plenty.

I went to the semis and final of Last years World Cup, plenty of better seats did not sell and were empty, would I go again for what I paid for the spot again.... Not in a million years.

Each to their own.

Early buyers should be rewarded with better tickets or upgraded if ticket sales are slow IMO.

I would love to see the last line happen but they wait and wait and wait hoping that those final tickets sell so the upgrade would have to be on the day but you are already at the wrong turnstile or they are hoping to sell last minute those better tickets for more money for people who turn up on the day. 

Again the analogy to shows, if I were to get upgraded I would be cheesed off as i would have designed the stand in advance and told customers where they can find us, and catalogues will have been printed etc. If you look at planes then that is different as they can upgrade people at the last minute to first class etc. 

I would love to be rewarded for buying early etc but sadly i can also see that logistically that is not easy. 

fair enough you wont go again for what you paid and where you were, but (and this is not a good thing) they dont care they have your money and it will be another 12 years at least before they get the chance to sell those specific tickets to you again by which time there will be someone else who hasnt fallen for this that they can sell to while you wait and get a cheaper ticket. 

again its the way it works. 

I would love to think RL would act differently but there are also good reasons (economic and logistical) why every sport and every "occasion" in all sectors of business and entertainment work this way.

• Like 2

Its a system that penalises the enthusiastic fan.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Does this bother you in other areas of life? For example when you buy a shirt and the store subsequently has a sale?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Does this bother you in other areas of life? For example when you buy a shirt and the store subsequently has a sale?

If you are using an example like that its more like needing a shirt for an event in 6 months. I know that there is little demand for this shirt and I will easily be able to purchase it at any time in the next 6 months. I also know the store and know that in about 5 months time there is a good chance that the store will have the same shirt for 50% off or even give me 2 shirts for the price of one. It may also give me a much superior shirt for the same money. I am also not sure if I will fancy the event in 6 months time as the line up may be poor as it hasn't been announced yet. There is simply no incentive for me to buy the shirt now. 

Instead I will wait and buy the shirt at the last minute and much cheaper and maybe even get a better one. I may even simply not bother with the shirt at all as I no longer fancy the event because the lineup is bad or there is now something more appealing to do. This is what experience has shown me and I have changed my buying habit as a result. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Of course its typical RL, I have never seen it happen in other sports the way it works in RL. We all know you can buy tickets for our major events a few days before the game and we all know that there is a chance that they will be a good bit cheaper than if you buy early. There isn't even the demand there to give that fear of missing out.There is absolutely no incentive at the moment to buy early at the moment and that is wrong. We should encourage early sales before the teams are even known, in case its an unappealing match, not disincentivise them. The marketing and sales strategy is not coherent in any way and is amateur stuff. 

RL absolutely does have early bird discounts, in pretty much every single event. The problem is when they want to run a promotion with a month to go, they will pee anybody off who has paid full price - but the only way to stop that is to stop promotions closer to the time - and people will then moan that the RFL are not making the effort.

Let's be brutally honest here, if sales were good, the RFL would not be putting new offers in with weeks to go.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

That is a poor analogy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

If you are using an example like that its more like needing a shirt for an event in 6 months. I know that there is little demand for this shirt and I will easily be able to purchase it at any time in the next 6 months. I also know the store and know that in about 5 months time there is a good chance that the store will have the same shirt for 50% off or even give me 2 shirts for the price of one. It may also give me a much superior shirt for the same money. I am also not sure if I will fancy the event in 6 months time as the line up may be poor as it hasn't been announced yet. There is simply no incentive for me to buy the shirt now. 

Instead I will wait and buy the shirt at the last minute and much cheaper and maybe even get a better one. I may even simply not bother with the shirt at all as I no longer fancy the event because the lineup is bad or there is now something more appealing to do. This is what experience has shown me and I have changed my buying habit as a result. 

Yep, we fundamentally disagree. As I said I pay at a price and seat I'm happy with at the time. I've zero interest in what they do with the rest of the tickets. 

Your changing attitude is fine, it comes with some pros and cons. It's not a failing of the organisers. The strategy you seem to be advocating would decrease attendances and revenue. 

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

That is a poor analogy.

Just curious. I don't agree with your issue, so wondered how far it extended. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

but I'm a common size and I know that I will be going to that event because its something I have always wanted to go to... so I will go and buy that shirt just to be on the safe side even if it does cost be a bit more, because the risk is that they have sold out of my size and without that shirt I simply cannot go. 

its risk and reward and it is the same in every single business that you can possibly work in. 

take the risk you can get the exact same thing cheaper or dont and possibly miss out all together. 

As for annoying the enthusiastic fan.. I dont see that, I was/am enthusiastic for the semi finals, I am dissapointed that the block I have tickets in is between Leeds and saints fans (as a warrington fan) but I am still excited about going and if i found out someone got the ticket next to me for free then bully for them but I am still excited to be going.. and exited for my 10 year old to get to see Warrington for the first time and get to see a challenge cup semi final.. and I would have been prepared to pay more for that experience and for his experience. 

Its each to their own really but this is such common practice it seems daft to expect it not to happen in RL.

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Allora said:

I dont agree.. I dont feel penalised because now that I have my ticket I can arrange further things in advance and have all my ducks in a row, I can also build up the excitement for my son and if I want to plan some parking I can try and find some good deals either now or closer to the time, and the same with rail tickets (because you know what they work the same system so pick your time and buy them when they are cheaper, something you cant do if you decide to go last minute!)

having the tickets allows me to save money on more things around the game itself... so actually by being enthusiastic and knowing I am going and having the ticket I may well save more money than I would have saved by waiting and then getting last minute tickets for trains/parking/hotels etc

Therefore the enthusiastic fan that can plan actually gets a better deal.. 

swings and roundabouts but its not always so black and white

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

The strategy you seem to be advocating would decrease attendances and revenue.

In your opinion, I actually think the opposite. 

Anyway back to Denver. 

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

In your opinion, I actually think the opposite. 

Anyway back to Denver. 

Ok, so that's you and Allora against the vast majority of the sporting world. 

Back to Denver. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Ok, so that's you and Allora against the vast majority of the sporting world. 

Back to Denver. 

Vast majority of the sporting world, what you and RP London? Get over yourself. Hardly any sport does what you suggest. 

1 hour ago, Allora said:

That is a poor analogy.

Over here if I'm buying a large item and its not on sale I ask a salesperson to check their computer system to see if it is coming on sale in the next 2 weeks....they know what and when it will be on sale and if they say it is going to be I demand the lower price...Canadian Tire always gives you the reduced rate.   It good customer service.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Vast majority of the sporting world, what you and RP London? Get over yourself. Hardly any sport does what you suggest. 

I'm not aware of a sport that doesn't. 

When I was still working for a football club we used to offer closed group offers e.g. to doctors, army, police. So it wasn't public knowledge, but was still goingg on, that's the closest I can think of.

5 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I'm not aware of a sport that doesn't. 

When I was still working for a football club we used to offer closed group offers e.g. to doctors, army, police. So it wasn't public knowledge, but was still goingg on, that's the closest I can think of.

Well targeted marketing like that is something completely different than what has been discussed. 

I've been caught out buying tickets early for RL events only to see the same seats flogged off much cheaper later on when they aren't sold out, and I think it is a perfectly reasonable human reaction to feel a bit naffed off about it. I know I did.

I think in Denver, where the game is being staged in a stadium that is several times bigger than the biggest attendance ever attracted in history for an England v New Zealand game, it would have been sensible to have a single, standard ticket price with no discounts from the get go.

Then, sell the best placed seats to those who book first, so you are still rewarded for buying early. 

That way, no one feels ripped off, whatever point they buy their tickets, all the best placed seats would be filled first, so it looks great on TV, and we avoid the risk of making Rugby League look bargain basement by having to slash ticket prices close to the game in order to shift them.

• Like 7

I bought my World Cup tickets on the day they came out. Like a loyal fan. I got burnt because of deals to spoon feed the cynical fence sitters. ###### me off but probably ###### others off more. They can't keep canalizing the loyal fans who jump in. It just trains people to hang back and wait and possibly not go at all.

• Like 2