Sign in to follow this  
Yakstorm

Denver Test - Ticket Sales

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Vast majority of the sporting world, what you and RP London? Get over yourself. Hardly any sport does what you suggest. 

As i've stated and shown examples of its not just sport that does it.. it is just the way that it goes. If it isnt selling out companies do all sorts to help/make it sell out. If you want to wait hoping that it doesnt sell out and you can get it cheaper go for your life, if you dont you can end up paying a little more for it.. I dont see why people get so cheesed off about it i really dont.. everything works that way. 

And as I've pointed out by getting it early you get to play the above game with other things knowing that at some point you will buy them but you can wait and play the game, something you cant do if you are playing the game with the tickets necessarily as you may be forced into the "your so desperate you have to pay full whack + 50%" as you can do with last minute flights when the price goes back up again 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

As i've stated and shown examples of its not just sport that does it.. it is just the way that it goes. If it isnt selling out companies do all sorts to help/make it sell out. If you want to wait hoping that it doesnt sell out and you can get it cheaper go for your life, if you dont you can end up paying a little more for it.. I dont see why people get so cheesed off about it i really dont.. everything works that way. 

And as I've pointed out by getting it early you get to play the above game with other things knowing that at some point you will buy them but you can wait and play the game, something you cant do if you are playing the game with the tickets necessarily as you may be forced into the "your so desperate you have to pay full whack + 50%" as you can do with last minute flights when the price goes back up again 

Yes I know you have stated and pointed out, keep repeating yourself doesn't make it right! As you can see others have an entirely different opinion. 

Edited by Damien

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes I know you have stated and pointed out, keep repeating yourself doesn't make it right! As you can see others have an entirely different opinion. 

It makes it correct in that RL does not do this on its own which is the point I have been making, whether you like that or not.

It also makes it the commercially accepted way of doing things. It is the "Typical RL" response I am arguing against.. it is not "Typical RL" it is generally accepted practice 

Edited by RP London
  • Thanks 1

I've bought tickets for sporting events in the US knowing that I was going some way in advance and they were good seats . I paid more but if I waited the secondary market had better seats cheaper and the teams in question released tickets to fans with a certain credit card more cheaply . Did I feel robbed? No I knew I was going to the event that I wanted at a price I was prepared to pay.

The commercial imperative at Denver is to sell as many tickets as possible . The marketers know the core RL audience will buy early at yes first announced price . As you get towards the end for an event that's not sold out bums on seats matter and discounts happen to maximise the promoters revenue and give TV a fuller stadium . Conversely if it's a sell out you'll pay more .

You pays your money and takes your choice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I've been caught out buying tickets early for RL events only to see the same seats flogged off much cheaper later on when they aren't sold out, and I think it is a perfectly reasonable human reaction to feel a bit naffed off about it. I know I did.

I think in Denver, where the game is being staged in a stadium that is several times bigger than the biggest attendance ever attracted in history for an England v New Zealand game, it would have been sensible to have a single, standard ticket price with no discounts from the get go.

Then, sell the best placed seats to those who book first, so you are still rewarded for buying early. 

That way, no one feels ripped off, whatever point they buy their tickets, all the best placed seats would be filled first, so it looks great on TV, and we avoid the risk of making Rugby League look bargain basement by having to slash ticket prices close to the game in order to shift them.

They've sold by far the most tickets at the highest and lowest price points. One standard price would limit your revenue and even if you priced it 25 dollars that's still above the minimum at the moment, hence you are almost certain to have reduced revenue and a risk of a reduced attendance. 

My experience is that you would only be appeasing a vocal minority as well. Most people once they've booked won't check later for deals, even if it did bother them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

They've sold by far the most tickets at the highest and lowest price points. One standard price would limit your revenue and even if you priced it 25 dollars that's still above the minimum at the moment, hence you are almost certain to have reduced revenue and a risk of a reduced attendance. 

My experience is that you would only be appeasing a vocal minority as well. Most people once they've booked won't check later for deals, even if it did bother them. 

Maybe. Maybe not.

It's never been tried so we'll never know.

Most seats in Denver haven't (and probably won't) be sold at all, at any price, so it might have been the ideal opportunity to try something different.

I write this as someone who just wants to see as many people at that game as possible, and for it to be a financial and sporting success, but I'm also not expecting miracles from it either in overall attendance terms.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RP London said:

It makes it correct in that RL does not do this on its own which is the point I have been making, whether you like that or not.

It also makes it the commercially accepted way of doing things. It is the "Typical RL" response I am arguing against.. it is not "Typical RL" it is generally accepted practice 

It really doesnt. There have been a multitude of posts since then from numerous posters but you seem more concerned about your point and repeating yourself to try and prove you are correct in your eyes. Your opinion is not fact and others have a different opinion. Move on. That is a forum after all so dont be surprised if people don't all agree with you. 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

It really doesnt. There have been a multitude of posts since then from numerous posters but you seem more concerned about your point and repeating yourself to try and prove you are correct in your eyes. Your opinion is not fact and others have a different opinion. Move on. That is a forum after all so dont be surprised if people don't all agree with you. 

I could say the same about you. 

you, and I accept others,  dont like the way it affects you so the system must be wrong but that doesnt make it so nor does it make it the wrong way of selling events.

The point is that this is the commercial way of doing things and is based on years of selling events. if you dont like it then take the risk, if you dont want to take the risk then pay the money.. simples. 

RL is not stand alone in this and there are reasons that this works like this.. 

from the publishing industry selling ad space which gets cheaper the closer you get to publication to this via all sorts... If you expect RL to change then why do all the other industries not change?? are they all wrong?

You obviously dont agree and you will find, as this is a forum, that people dont agree with you either.. 

Edited by RP London
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Most seats in Denver haven't (and probably won't) be sold at all, at any price, so it might have been the ideal opportunity to try something different.

I write this as someone who just wants to see as many people at that game as possible, an for it to be a financial and sporting success, but I'm also not expecting miracles from it either in overall attendance terms.

I do actually quite like the set price idea and early buyers get a better choice, its a decent compromise. I don't think it will necessarily work with all events but certainly with Denver it would have worked well. 

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do actually quite like the set price idea and early buyers get a better choice, its a decent compromise. I don't think it will necessarily work with all events but certainly with Denver it would have worked well. 

I also think the RFL could go with a 'best price guarantee' or price promise. So that if a similar ticket is ever sold for a lower price on the open market they will refund you the  difference (I would do it in RFL Ticket credit).

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RP London said:

I could say the same about you. 

you, and I accept others,  dont like the way it affects you so the system must be wrong but that doesnt make it so nor does it make it the wrong way of selling events.

The point is that this is the commercial way of doing things and is based on years of selling events. if you dont like it then take the risk, if you dont want to take the risk then pay the money.. simples. 

RL is not stand alone in this and there are reasons that this works like this.. 

from the publishing industry selling ad space which gets cheaper the closer you get to publication to this via all sorts... If you expect RL to change then why do all the other industries not change?? are they all wrong?

You obviously dont agree and you will find, as this is a forum, that people dont agree with you either.. 

Does it work in RL, though?

Are all our major events always full?

I think part of the problem is that discounting tickets late on is the only strategy RL ever seems to use, and a lot of people have got wise to that now, and some are clearly alienated by it.

Consequently, instead of being able to post the 'full house' signs months in advance for our major events, we all know there'll be a flood of cheap tickets coming later on so we wait, and wait, and wait, and it makes the sport look cheap and even desperate to shift tickets for its showpiece events.

If you alienate your keenest customers and devalue your major events, it can't be described as a strategy that's working, in my view.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

I write this as someone who just wants to see as many people at that game as possible, and for it to be a financial and sporting success, but I'm also not expecting miracles from it either in overall attendance terms.

Don't you think the fact it's not tried is a sign it wouldn't work? I'm pretty confident it was tried, but hasn't been for a long time as promoters evolved to maximise revenue and attendance. 

I'd suggest it would be a bad time to try something different, that goes against current sports marketing wisdom (as you yourself state). This game can't afford to be fail. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I think part of the problem is that discounting tickets late on is the only strategy RL ever seems to use, and a lot of people have got wise to that now, and some are clearly alienated by it.

Consequently, instead of being able to post the 'full house' signs months in advance for our major events, we all know there'll be a flood of cheap tickets coming later on so we wait, and wait, and wait, and it makes the sport look cheap and even desperate to shift tickets for its showpiece events.

If you alienate your keenest customers and devalue your major events, it can't be described as a strategy that's working, in my view.

Exactly. It is a strategy that has completely failed and helped to devalue our premium events. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Don't you think the fact it's not tried is a sign it wouldn't work? I'm pretty confident it was tried, but hasn't been for a long time as promoters evolved to maximise revenue and attendance. 

I'd suggest it would be a bad time to try something different, that goes against current sports marketing wisdom (as you yourself state). This game can't afford to be fail. 

I don't know.

I'm not a sports marketing expert.

Primarily, I'm a fan who buys tickets.

I'm just putting an idea out there for free, for it to be shot down if it's a ###### idea! ;)

But current sports marketing wisdom - whatever that is - doesn't seem to work for RL, or we wouldn't always be moaning about our major events being undersold and under-attended.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I think you and a couple of others are overstating this. 

There aren't always last minute offers. 

I bought tickets for Magic in the last week - no offers in the mainstream.

Just now, Dave T said:

You only have to be gubbed once for it to make a lasting impression.

It has happened to me on several occasions, I wouldn't make it stuff up just to make a point.

What made you wait till the last week to buy Magic tickets? Why were Magic tickets still available in the last week?

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

There aren't always last minute offers. 

For at least a decade I have always had, or seen, offers for the Challenge Cup Final and Grand Final in the last few weeks prior. These are our 2 premium events. I generally get an email with offers for these at the start of the season, as someone who has bought before, and these are always substantially less than closer to the time. This is plain wrong and a crazy marketing approach. 

• Like 1

Just now, John Drake said:

You only have to be gubbed once for it to make a lasting impression.

It has happened to me on several occasions, I wouldn't make it stuff up just to make a point.

What made you wait till the last week to buy Magic tickets? Why were Magic tickets still available in the last week?

I'm not suggesting you are making it up, but it isn't the embedded strategy that people paint it as.

We only decided we could go in the last week.

Beacause that is the demand for the event.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

For at least a decade I have always had, or seen, offers for the Challenge Cup Final and Grand Final in the last few weeks prior. These are our 2 premium events. I generally get an email with offers for these at the start of the season, as someone who has bought before, and these are always substantially less than closer to the time. This is plain wrong and a crazy marketing approach. 

I'd like to see that this year - because normally the last couple of weeks are all about selling to the clubs, and these are not at discounted rates.

I'll look out for it cheers, because that is not my experience at all of this.

Just now, Dave T said:

I'd like to see that this year - because normally the last couple of weeks are all about selling to the clubs, and these are not at discounted rates.

I'll look out for it cheers, because that is not my experience at all of this.

I said few, not couple 

Just now, Damien said:

I said few, not couple 

few, the point is the same. I think there is a 3 or 4 week gap between semis and final

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

few, the point is the same. I think there is a 3 or 4 week gap between semis and final

And my main point is the same in that there are always better offers later in the season than what I get offered at the start of the season as a returning customer. Hence no point buying early. The best offers should always be earlier on and tale off, if we must have offers, as the season goes on. They should never be better and thus disincentive people from buying early, which should be actively encouraged. As is evident on this forum this isnt the case now and people are being discouraged. 

Edited by Damien

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not suggesting you are making it up, but it isn't the embedded strategy that people paint it as.

How do you know that?

Others in this thread are arguing it is a prime example of long established and great sports marketing wisdom.

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Weren't Magic tickets priced deliberately cheap to start with?

Perhaps difficult to reduce them further without giving them away.

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

How do you know that?

Others in this thread are arguing it is a prime example of long established and great sports marketing wisdom.

No, that was in reply to selling every ticket in the stadium at the same price.