Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

10-13 May: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup - Sixth Round Match Thread

Which game are you most interested in?  

115 members have voted

  1. 1. Which game are you most interested in?

    • Featherstone Rovers v Hull FC
      18
    • Huddersfield Giants v Wakefield Trinity
      8
    • Leigh Centurions v Salford Red Devils
      10
    • Widnes Vikings v Leeds Rhinos
      2
    • Catalans Dragons v Whitehaven
      5
    • Castleford Tigers v St Helens
      13
    • Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors
      8
    • Toronto Wolfpack v Warrington Wolves
      51


Recommended Posts

While happy with the win that wasn't a great performance from Saints. Some good toil and some pieces of individual brilliance,  but there were a few players out there who didn't play well at all. Lomax had a poor game and seemed to just get in the way of plays as they developed, and Wilkin had a shocker. All year he's been taking the ball to the line and drawing in defenders,  today he just stood and passed completely slowing up the attack and putting the runners under huge pressure. 

It's pleasing though when your not firing on all cylinders and still coming up with good away wins. Walmsley will make a huge difference to our go forward when he returns.


This is captain Juncker speaking. The EU gravy train is about to enter Brussels, so will all Brits please exit at the next stop

To all remaining passengers, thank you for your continued custom and contributions to my pension fund

Kind Regards - YOUR PRESIDENT !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

While happy with the win that wasn't a great performance from Saints. Some good toil and some pieces of individual brilliance,  but there were a few players out there who didn't play well at all. Lomax had a poor game and seemed to just get in the way of plays as they developed, and Wilkin had a shocker. All year he's been taking the ball to the line and drawing in defenders,  today he just stood and passed completely slowing up the attack and putting the runners under huge pressure. 

It's pleasing though when your not firing on all cylinders and still coming up with good away wins. Walmsley will make a huge difference to our go forward when he returns.

What is the timescale for Walmsley? Last I heard there was concern he might be done for the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MZH said:

What is the timescale for Walmsley? Last I heard there was concern he might be done for the season.

No one really knows - he has another scan at the end of May to see how it’s reacted to the first round of treatment. Could be given the all clear, could be another 6 months. He’s in training though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

No one really knows - he has another scan at the end of May to see how it’s reacted to the first round of treatment. Could be given the all clear, could be another 6 months. He’s in training though

Yep, the scan at the end of the month is to check whether the bone had healed enough to start training fully again (non contact). 

If it has there will be a period of building up the muscle again around the shoulder and he could be back by end of June if all goes well. If not then it's just a waiting game until he's healed enough.

Will definitely be playing again this season. 


This is captain Juncker speaking. The EU gravy train is about to enter Brussels, so will all Brits please exit at the next stop

To all remaining passengers, thank you for your continued custom and contributions to my pension fund

Kind Regards - YOUR PRESIDENT !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

It's pleasing though when your not firing on all cylinders and still coming up with good away wins. Walmsley will make a huge difference to our go forward when he returns.

Expansive teams will always struggle on compressed pitches, its just something that can't be avoided.

On the other side teams that play on full size pitches find it easier to defend on a compressed pitch.


Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Padge said:

Expansive teams will always struggle on compressed pitches, its just something that can't be avoided.

On the other side teams that play on full size pitches find it easier to defend on a compressed pitch.

Are you referring to and including the Jungle in that statement Padge? In answer to Saint Toppy expessing that Saints "were not firing on all cylinders"

If so, in the last couple of seasons Cas were as expansive as any team has been in a long time, most evidently by their wingers Solomona, Eden and Minikin scoring so many tries, obviously they played most of their games on this pitch and also scored many points against teams whose home grounds are as you term full size who could not contain their expansive play!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Saints were not firing on all cylinders because Cas were starving them of fuel.


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 7:29 PM, Futtocks said:

Fourteen pages of passive/aggressive whingeing'n'sniping, and only one Round 6 match has been played. Dear God...

Only just seen this.

I think it's fair to say that John would have been better off putting Round 6 matches as individual threads.

Why bring Steve Norton into it though? :huh:


         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought Saints were dominant without getting out of second gear. They are a quality team no doubt. I think saying they are a 1 man team is wrong TBH. Some great players in the team. Barba is simply the icing on the cake.

As for Cas, after a decent first half showing we fell away badly in the second. Gonna be a struggle for the rest of the season.

Great turn out from the Saints fans BTW. Good time to be a Saints fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Maybe Saints were not firing on all cylinders because Cas were starving them of fuel.

Don't be silly, we all know that teams only win RL games because the ref or their own teams were rubbish :ohmy:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

While happy with the win that wasn't a great performance from Saints. Some good toil and some pieces of individual brilliance,  but there were a few players out there who didn't play well at all. Lomax had a poor game and seemed to just get in the way of plays as they developed, and Wilkin had a shocker. All year he's been taking the ball to the line and drawing in defenders,  today he just stood and passed completely slowing up the attack and putting the runners under huge pressure. 

It's pleasing though when your not firing on all cylinders and still coming up with good away wins. Walmsley will make a huge difference to our go forward when he returns.

As a neutral, I though Saints were excellent.  They had to dig deep against an aggressive Cas attack.  Cas lacked some organisation at times, but not all the time. Saints took their chances and made a few more too.  

Credit to both teams who turned out a great game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

As a neutral, I though Saints were excellent.  They had to dig deep against an aggressive Cas attack.  Cas lacked some organisation at times, but not all the time. Saints took their chances and made a few more too.  

Credit to both teams who turned out a great game.

Cas could make yards up the field well enough (especially in the second half), but seemed short of ideas (or short of Luke Gale at least) when they got close to the St Helens try line. 


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Saints best quality this year is probably their goal line defence. With it being a cup game I was watching yesterday with my mind on whether we have the beating of them should we meet down the line. I feel that for all their attacking brilliance there are things we can do to negate that. But I was more concerned about where our points might come from.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I just don’t think Ellis is SL standard, a good Championship player at best. It shows the lack of quality going around that he is there. Trueman has potential but is not ready yet either.

Kicking was really poor today - just hopeful kicks to the corner from Ellis. No imagination or thought behind it. Why do coaches in SL not tell halves to kick towards the in goal for a repeat set? 

Sadly Cas lack of pivots is really going to hinder them this season 

To be fair to Jamie Ellis he put in four or five attacking kicks that were perfectly placed on the right side of the goal-line but the attempts of the Cas outside backs to contest them were woeful. 

  • Like 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Cas could make yards up the field well enough (especially in the second half), but seemed short of ideas (or short of Luke Gale at least) when they got close to the St Helens try line. 

Where is Roberts?

Alarmingly, barring the 1st 5ish minutes when Cas pinned Saint down from kick off, both teams gained easy ground.  

In the chess game on the Saints line, Saints kept their structure and didn’t flinch, Cas showed no variance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ullman said:

To be fair to Jamie Ellis he put in four or five attacking kicks that were perfectly placed on the right side of the goal-line but the attempts of the Cas outside backs to contest them were woeful. 

Agreed.  Two of those unfortunately backfired!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Where is Roberts?

Alarmingly, barring the 1st 5ish minutes when Cas pinned Saint down from kick off, both teams gained easy ground.  

In the chess game on the Saints line, Saints kept their structure and didn’t flinch, Cas showed no variance.  

Injured.  Hopefully back within the next 2 weeks.

Thinking about the game today and probably feel a lot less doom and gloom about it then yesterday.

From a Cas perspective, despite missing our 2 1st choice half's and best strike player (Eden) and playing with a centre at full back we still broke the best team in SL down 3 times.  Take out the two freak tries from attacking kicks and I think it probably becomes quite a competitive game.  

If we can get Eden and Roberts back in the next few weeks and avoid other injuries we could string enough wins together to still be in with a sniff of nicking a top 4 spot when Gale comes back in.  That said getting hold of a genuine fullback from somewhere would be an absolute God send.

Saturdays game is massive in my opinion, could do with getting something to stem the slide.  With Saints and Wire away to follow it's arguably our best shot at points in the next 3 matches.

Edited by Gates1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Agreed.  Two of those unfortunately backfired!

 

Aye, just a little bit :D


Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Injured.  Hopefully back within the next 2 weeks.

Thinking about the game today and probably feel a lot less doom and gloom about it then yesterday.

From a Cas perspective, despite missing our 2 1st choice half's and best strike player (Eden) and playing with a centre at full back we still broke the best team in SL down 3 times.  Take out the two freak tries from attacking kicks and I think it probably becomes quite a competitive game.  

If we can get Eden and Roberts back in the next few weeks and avoid other injuries we could string enough wins together to still be in with a sniff of nicking a top 4 spot when Gale comes back in.  That said getting hold of a genuine fullback from somewhere would be an absolute God send.

Saturdays game is massive in my opinion, could do with getting something to stem the slide.

Could have been 12-0 up but two breakaways and Cas were chasing a game that had been very even up to that point.

Thought the Cas pack were very good. Edged the forward battle for me but the Saints back line was far too good for their opposite numbers on the day.  


Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benny Barba has settled in well at Saints it seems.


Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Allora said:

Benny Barba has settled in well at Saints it seems.

Helped by Holbrook who’ll get a gig in the NRL as Head Coach in the near future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Helped by Holbrook who’ll get a gig in the NRL as Head Coach in the near future.

Given what he's done to the St Helens team who were so astoundingly dire under Cunningham, maybe we should offer him the England job after Bennett's time is up.


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ant said:

Saints have been better, but Cas have had some tough calls against them from Childs 

Shouldn't that be Children?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Helped by Holbrook who’ll get a gig in the NRL as Head Coach in the near future.

Maybe.

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...