Shaun Wane Leaving Wigan

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Dunbar, I’ll apologise.  Didn’t read the thread right at all!

No problem.  All good.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, terrywebbisgod said:

He was linked to the Harlequins post but that's gone.Either a post in the England setup or a return (as coach) to Wigan. 

With the standard of creativity of most of our recent half backs, I would take him back as a player.

I would be happy to see Edwards given a go at the Wigan job. Yes, he has been out of the game for a while, and it might take him a bit of time to get up to speed, but the fundamentals of the game remain unchanged, and he was always pretty good at those.

I would much rather see Edwards get the role than some overhyped Aussie who knows nothing about our club. I would also accept Farrell back as his assistant.

Whoever is replacing Wane it would be a good move to get them on board ASAP to work alongside him until the end of the season if its someone from outside SL. i.e Deacon, who is slipping under the (would cost though) or Edwards, his recent pronouncements imply he may have something in his contract about senior coaching jobs.

I am more inclined to think though that there may be an Australian accent in the 'bosses' office come November.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

With the standard of creativity of most of our recent half backs, I would take him back as a player.

I would be happy to see Edwards given a go at the Wigan job. Yes, he has been out of the game for a while, and it might take him a bit of time ot get up to speed, but the funrdementals of the game remain unchanged, and he was always pretty good at those.

I would much rather see Edwards get the role than some overhyped Aussie who knows nothing about our club. I would also accept Farrell back as his assistant.

He'd have a coaching team around him to help him get up to speed on the latest coaching techniques which is something most on here seem to forget.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

I would be happy to see Edwards given a go at the Wigan job. Yes, he has been out of the game for a while, and it might take him a bit of time ot get up to speed, but the funrdementals of the game remain unchanged, and he was always pretty good at those.

Edwards was a support player in one of the best teams that sport has ever seen, always in support and backing up to finish off the moves, apart from that he was never  a great of the game, let him stay in ru and get someone else instead  that has been in our game day in day out for the last 10 years, theres nothing for Edwards here 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Padge said:

up to speed with what is going on in the rugby game

:O What on earth does your post mean? Do you mean the rugby game as one sport? Do you mean the term rugby the way it's used by the BBC?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

Edwards was a support player in one of the best teams that sport has ever seen, always in support and backing up to finish off the moves, apart from that he was never  a great of the game, let him stay in ru and get someone else instead  that has been in our game day in day out for the last 10 years, theres nothing for Edwards here 

You know you are my hero Johnny, but that's a pile of ######.

10 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

You know you are my hero Johnny, but that's a pile of ######.

he may get wigan moving on up but I think he will need to search for the hero inside himself 1st

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

12 minutes ago, Oxford said:

:O What on earth does your post mean? Do you mean the rugby game as one sport? Do you mean the term rugby the way it's used by the BBC?

The full sentence from Padge that you quoted from is "There is no way that Edwards is not up to speed with what is going on in the rugby game, he soaks up knowledge, always has done and he will be studying what is going on so that he can use it in his union coaching job. "

It is completely obvious that Padge was using rugby to mean Rugby League in this context.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I mean rugby as it is known in Wigan and generally in the North, I have no need to explain what I am talking about when I talk of rugby, except it seems to you. :rolleyes:.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 minutes ago, Padge said:

I have no need to explain what I am talking about when I talk of rugby

From your keyboard to God's screen!

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

From your keyboard to God's screen!

What does that nonsense mean. 

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It is completely obvious that Padge was using rugby to mean Rugby League in this context.

Well seeing how yawn call yawn rugby and that's where Edwards is and has been for a hell of a long time completely obvious might be a bit strong.

But watching and studying have never been quite the same as doing.

And given who they could get it still seems odd, despite you and Padge championing him.

Very strange move, I would be surprised if Shaun Wane was in Super League next year as for a native Wiganer and ex-player surely the dream job is .. Wigan.  Going anywhere else would feel like a step down so it would have to be NRL or Rugby Union.

The Shuan Edwards rumour has legs in that he is available and a Wigan legend so placates the fan base, but as was the case the other side of the bilinge lump, being a club playing legend does not mean you nailed on to be a legendary coach....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

5 minutes ago, Padge said:

What does that nonsense mean. 

Well it is obvious to everyone who knows about quotes and paraphrasing south of the Mason-Dixon Line so I don't know why you're finding it difficult!

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

Well seeing how yawn call yawn rugby and that's where Edwards is and has been for a hell of a long time completely obvious might be a bit strong.

But watching and studying have never been quite the same as doing.

And given who they could get it still seems odd, despite you and Padge championing him.

Erm, I haven't championed Edwards.

Honestly, it would make SL one heck of lot more interesting next season if Wane is at Toronto and Edwards is at Wigan...

... which probably means Toronto will crash and burn with Rowley, and some overhyped NRL assistant will stumble through the season with Wigan.

Record speaks for itself, he’s been great  for the game and also never feared in giving youngsters a go. Shame other coaches haven’t done the same. 

Didnt like his foul mouth on TV but very respectful of his desire and trophies he’s won in the past 6 years.  

RugbyInsideLine has a good reputation among Union circles, and they're calling him going to the Scotland Union setup as a coach (presumably defence). This is because England RU are likely to recruit the Scottish RU defence coach (who is their second choice behind Shaun Edwards (Welsh RU defence coach), which the linked article implies England can't afford to buy out). All this was triggered by Paul Gustard the England RU defence coach being appointed HC at Harlequins RU.

8 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

That is also my feelings about Edwards as a player but I would like to see what he could do as a coach

11 hours ago, Oxford said:

No I'd say being a bus driver would make him more useful;)

But Dunbar just wants to to talk kick and clap and this thread, at this moment has nothing to do with this.

In what line of work where you've been away doing something almost entirely different for years would you expect or be expected to return at the top.

It smacks of a lack of belief on the one hand and illogical nostalgia on the other, which would fit RL to a T.

I have a ready made argument for those from the "dark side" who deride our game which is:-

How many Rugby League coaches have been employed by the Rugby Union both at club and International level to improve and make their game better, answer a lot, reverse that and tell me how many RU coaches have been employed in Rugby League for the same purpose, a nice round figure ZERO, none.

But back to Mr Edwards, Yes he has been away for a long time, do you not consider he will have kept up with what new methods such as training and strategies in both offence and defence being those which can be transferred to the RU game? Is that not why they employed our coaches in the first place? It is not as though he has had a lifetime in that sport and knows no different.

I may have that illogical nostalgia you say, and for me he was up there with the best player's I have witnessed and he seemed to be an innovator in some of the things he did, I think he would make a good aquisition back in our sport, his spiritual home.

I can't believe the number of people saying Shaun was "just" a support player! Tough as nails in defence, read the game brilliantly, fantastic team organiser as well. Some of his best tries were supporting ones but that certainly wasn't the only string to his bow. He was a legend.

Archived