Shaun Wane Leaving Wigan

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

He was only allowed to sign professional terms at 17.

Yes 17 was the minimum age then. He signed at midnight.

Like you I played against him and alongside him. He was head and shoulders above anyone else I ever shared a field with (including other future Internationals).

I reckon he would have looked even better in a less dominant side.

Discussion on Sydney radio this morning around the Bronco's approaching Craig Bellamy, it was suggested that there is a possibility that Bennett ends up at Wigan as he has close ties with Lenaghan and a move to England might suit him at this stage of his life both Professionally and Personally.

54 minutes ago, Balmain1969 said:

Discussion on Sydney radio this morning around the Bronco's approaching Craig Bellamy, it was suggested that there is a possibility that Bennett ends up at Wigan as he has close ties with Lenaghan and a move to England might suit him at this stage of his life both Professionally and Personally.

Hopefully that is the case.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

8 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm not so sure there is actually a wealth of decent candidates 

Hopefully they'll do their homework then!

By the way is that an indication that SE is the best candidate in your opinion?

What I've become aware of is that people will find reasons for anything, will play Mary Mary very often,  tend to undervalue our sport and believe yawn is very like TGG!?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Hopefully they'll do their homework then!

By the way is that an indication that SE is the best candidate in your opinion?

What I've become aware of is that people will find reasons for anything, will play Mary Mary very often,  tend to undervalue our sport and believe yawn is very like TGG!?

Will you stop being so sensationalist and trying to find things to get angry about.

There is potentially a really sensible discussion here about former RL players and coaches coming back to our game after a period where we have leaked talent and experience to a rival code.

The likes of Daryl Powell went over but luckily came back and I for one would love to see Farrell, Deacon, Edwards et al back in the fold.

A sensible discussion will not happen if you start getting huffy every time somebody mentions Union and muses about whether the coaching skills are complementary or not.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Padge said:

Wane has also said he is open to offers has he has nothing lined up.

Which smacks of what was called in the Post Office when I worked there as a resignation to avoid dismissal. Have to say that I'm rather taken with the idea of Wayne Bennet as head coach bringing SE up to speed back in RL as his No.2 taking over from him after a year or two.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, Damien said:

Shaun Edwards with the right assistants and support may well happen. Sean O'Loughlin as his assistant, maybe getting someone like Paul Deacon back too as an assistant. The head coach doesn't need to do everything these days. If the right coaching team is in place then there is certainly no reason why it cant be Edwards.

Being an old cynic that I am, I don't suppose that the signing of Hardacre had anything to do with his departure?.

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Which smacks of what was called in the Post Office when I worked there as a resignation to avoid dismissal. Have to say that I'm rather taken with the idea of Wayne Bennet as head coach bringing SE up to speed back in RL as his No.2 taking over from him after a year or two.

That would cost a pretty penny, would the club be prepared to lay out that investment. Having said that, Edwards would probably put a few bums on seats, which you cannot say that of many coaches in the game.

37 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

Being an old cynic that I am, I don't suppose that the signing of Hardacre had anything to do with his departure?.

Shaun Wane has categorically denied that the signing of Hardaker has anything to do with his departure.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Bennett for a season with Edwards as his No2 with a view to him taking over the following year could be interesting.

Yes, I would take that. With Andy Farrell then returning as Edwards assistant until it's his turn to take over.

19 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Shaun Wane has categorically denied that the signing of Hardaker has anything to do with his departure.

I think his comments make it pretty clear that he was all for giving Hardaker another chance and that he was disappointed not to have the opportunity to coach him.

Will be interesting to see whether any other SL club will give him a job. It's been fairly unusual in recent times for one club to recruit a head coach from another SL club.

15 hours ago, Padge said:

Wane has also said he is open to offers has he has nothing lined up.

I`m pretty sure Wane is telling some porkies....its pretty well known where hes going.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Martyn Sadler wrote a piece on how everyone at Wigan looks pretty miserable , so taking on Bennett is a real antidote to that 

Martyn probably sees them when they visit Yorkshire, which explains why they look miserable.

40 minutes ago, dkw said:

I`m pretty sure Wane is telling some porkies....its pretty well known where hes going.

That's what I was implying.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

A sensible discussion will not happen if you start getting huffy every time somebody mentions Union and muses about whether the coaching skills are complementary or not.

Actually I thought we were having a sensible discussion you know where you can't agree no matter what but you stick to your guns.

I quoted you because this is often seen on here, this is not about yawn nor have I made it so, it's about being out of the game for a long time and one side doesn't seem to think that matters at all apparently. Yawn is just coincidental here.

Notice no insults, no inflammatory language,mind you you enjoy having a go if it makes you happy.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 5/22/2018 at 11:32 AM, Allora said:

Time and the game moves on, how people think a player that has never Coached Rugby League can come back from  a couple of decades away from the game and succeed beats me.

I never thought Edwards was that much of a stand out player at Test level

He was supposed to be  a big signing with Balmain and barely made the run on team for most of his time at the Club.

He was a support player in my opinion much like Terry Lamb, only Lamb had a much more comprehensive skill set.

He didn’t do badly at international level and did ok v Aus as well in some close run games.  Also had a decent game in Melbourne, I remember quite clearly.

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well that will keep him busy for 4 weeks a year.......

The Sun has him off to Scottish RU

So we can dismiss that one then.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived