31 May: CCQF: Huddersfield Giants v Catalans Dragons KO 7.35pm (TV)

Who will win?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/18 at 18:35

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

A game best forgotten about and left out of any record books if possible, A ref and video ref better consigned to peeling spuds for the kingfisher, Oh sorry i forgot it's a difficult job.

The ref and video ref performed better than the two teams.

it really is time fans stopped blaming the officials, the players made that spectacle what it was.

Not the greatest game. But, I felt a much bigger, more physical side completed 90% of their sets, took their chances, including taking the 2 when offered, and have now won 6 of 7, after looking woeful at the start of the season.

Am not sure Catalans can take much criticism for doing precisely what was required to win.

Would be worried if I were a Hudds fan though.

18 minutes ago, Eleftherios said:

It's free entry for the league game on the 15th! Apparently Thewlis was getting some stick about it last night.

What next?  Ken paying people a fiver to come in?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

11 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Not the greatest game. But, I felt a much bigger, more physical side completed 90% of their sets, took their chances, including taking the 2 when offered, and have now won 6 of 7, after looking woeful at the start of the season.

Am not sure Catalans can take much criticism for doing precisely what was required to win.

Would be worried if I were a Hudds fan though.

Cats have certainly gotten bigger in the pack and this will always pay off. Forwards win games, backs decide by how much or so it is said? 

41 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Cats have certainly gotten bigger in the pack and this will always pay off. Forwards win games, backs decide by how much or so it is said? 

Indeed, and when you know you are up against it up front you need to adapt. How much ball did McGillivray get?

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

Only 8 minutes left 

Hah.  What I was referring to was the McIlorum obstruction where he ran into the attacker, then jumped back and looked at the referee.  We really have introduced some stupid rules around this.

Dreadful game, 2 poor sides, officials who seemed to be totally bewildered and connned throughout the game.

Catalans deserved it as they were the better team, or should i say cleverer team?

Both teams defended well when there was some attacking rugby broke out,

Catalans had a game plan, albeit a very ugly one and stuck to it and it paid off, we created very little and seemed to have no plan at all.

The messing about, injury feigning, gamesmanship was a disgrace last night, from both teams, but certainly, one was far better than the other at it

Awful stuff!

Good luck to Les Dracs in the semi final.

14 hours ago, meast said:

We've got Leeds next week, we usually beat them, nothing to worry about, last night means we can concentrate on the league ?

We beat Leeds’s and have the usual papering over of cracks and pretend we are contenders again

After that match we need to realise we have no spark lots of work ethic no edge all very average at best

I don’t know enough about Wolford  but if he isn’t a Powell type coach and can bring out the best in our players over the next 18 months then we are right royally stuffed

Where do we go from here? I would like to say the only way is up - we missed Ukuma and the pack don’t play well enough without him 

The game the previous week genuinely looked like we were moving forward, great running off the ball, nice shape, quick PTB’s but looked out of gas at the last 20 and fitness does appear to be an ongoing issue

This week was a different team with yet another game plan that didn’t work at all which makes me suspect Thorman was starting to get it right and tonight was a result of a full week of Holford in the flesh

Rabbits in headlights? Players not understanding their roles? No not really, i reckon a few good individuals with the rest average at best at the moment, no form, no willingness to get it right again. The nucleus of this side won a league leaders shield on merit. Our. Second team at Wakey are playing better! 

A complete clear out? With promotion and relegation set the way it is you wouldn’t dare so the rot spreads - not being relegated is not a success its narrowly avoiding complete failure and for a team like this is a failure. 

Having Widnes, Salford and now the Giants as perennial strugglers is not good for SL as no one wants to play in the middle 8’s recruitment is an obvious issue and the cost of an average player is higher for the Giants and others than anyone else in the top 4. With economics like that and no Daryl Powell type development coach in the offing teams like the Giants are doomed to stay where they are and irrespective of your allegiance that’s not good for the sport at all. 

I hope Richard Marshall takes the Widnes job and moves their youth development on as he did Halifax - that’s the future there and anywhere else outside the top 4 to 6 teams. It never sat comfortably with me but looking at how promotion and rrelegation has leached the quality from SL teams across the division and made it a less even playing field in a few seasons makes me hanker after franchises again - at least the talent got spread around a bit more.

As much as i think Broughy is a pale imitation of the player he was 5 years ago, we are still lucky to have him, because that standard of player would not be at the giants or Salford or Widnes now, its just not an attractive proposition. Won’t be long before  Lui is gone either. So they can either struggle on and try and fight the new economics in the game and hope for a breakthrough season plying moneyball, in which case crowds and corporate suppport slowly dwindles, or they can accept their fate and head to SL 2 or whatever its called moving forward. Or we look to strengthen the game as a whole and change the 8’s structure. 

If Hull KR survive another season they will find the same issues as the Giants arising, and again its a long slow death if you get caught in the middle 8’s a few seasons running. Leeds were very lucky to avoid another season down there, that would have been catastrophic for them and the game. KR themselves no this because that’s how relegation happened  to  them. Leigh keep trying to buck the trend but spend nearer the cap than most SL teams so that’s not success its financial suicide 

The giants are a symptom of the state of the game along with others and i think its as much self inflicted by the RFL and SL as it is by the individual clubs - change needs to happen and I wouldn’t be averse to looking at what was right since 1995 and bringing back some of those structures and governance that worked. 

As for the giants now, more smarts and better fitness, a simple game plan and better organisation would help. As Powell says, its a simple game!

On 6/1/2018 at 1:20 PM, dixiedean said:

Indeed, and when you know you are up against it up front you need to adapt. How much ball did McGillivray get?

Yes up against big men you would want to bring McGilvary in to run the ball out more from your own line. 

Archived