Dear Diary

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

How orders pizza at 2am for home delivery?

Was woken up by some herbert knocking on the door. Was the fact the house was in darkness not a clue it wasn't us?

I think this when there's those ads for just eat on tv that say 24hr delivery on McDonald's. 

1. Who is so desperate for a burger in the early hours of the morning? 

2. Out of all the fantastic restaurants and takeaways available on just eat you voluntarily choose McDonald's when you can get a King Kong burger from your local takeaway just down the road which is 3 times bigger than a big mac and costs the same? 

3. When you can get a triple bacon burger for a fiver from the takeaway just down the road, what the hell are you ordering food on an app for instead of getting off your fat ###### and just wandering 200 metres to the place itself?

2 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Who orders pizza at 2am for home delivery?

Was woken up by some herbert knocking on the door. Was the fact the house was in darkness not a clue it wasn't us?

Might have been a surprise party and you were all gonna jump out 

I received some dreadful news today, my next door neighbour, who is 81 & born in Dublin, and has been suffering with 3 types of cancer, was suffering from a hypoglycemic problem today, he was admitted to the Conquest Hospital this afternoon, but has passed away. I know this means nothing to you guys, but the last 6 months I have been calling in every day, making sure he has his comfort stuff, a newspaper, putting his bet on, getting his pain a chocolate, or his smoothie, and now he's not here. He had no local family, his nearest is in Dublin, his sister-in-law is in Oxford. 

I just need to put it out here. I will miss the belligerent old book dealer, who gave my daughter a £350 copy of a 1904 first edition, signed book. She is upset too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I received some dreadful news today, my next door neighbour, who is 81 & born in Dublin, and has been suffering with 3 types of cancer, was suffering from a hypoglycemic problem today, he was admitted to the Conquest Hospital this afternoon, but has passed away. I know this means nothing to you guys, but the last 6 months I have been calling in every day, making sure he has his comfort stuff, a newspaper, putting his bet on, getting his pain a chocolate, or his smoothie, and now he's not here. He had no local family, his nearest is in Dublin, his sister-in-law is in Oxford. 

I just need to put it out here. I will miss the belligerent old book dealer, who gave my daughter a £350 copy of a 1904 first edition, signed book. She is upset too.

It sounds like you made him very happy towards the end. With no family around he will have woken up every morning looking forward to his visit from bleep. That's a really selfless thing you've done there and you should be proud of yourself. *pat on back*. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 31/08/2020 at 18:00, Red Willow said:

Your neighbours loss will leave a big hole in your life too.

Yeah, more than I thought. Gabriel meant a lot to me, he was a very good friend, I had liked him and his wife when I first moved in 3 years ago, then his wife died of cancer 6 months later, and I kept in contact with him, then he developed Prostate, Bowel & Stomach cancer & he seemed ok until this week when his blood sugar started to drop off, dramatically, and his cognoscente seemed to drop below normal, so we called an ambulance, which took 3.5 hours to arrive, they took him to hospital, but,...................................

Edited by Bleep1673

Nobody is interested, but the book was 71/1000, of a play by JM Barrie, who wrote Peter Pan, of a play called Quality Street (yes, as in the chocolates), hand printed illustrations,  signed by the illustrator, and he has 2 of them, dated 1904.

He also had 18c Meteorological Society Records dated 1770-ish

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a flat, facing the Channel, and today it feels tropical. I have the front window wide open, and the back bedroom window 50% open, but I am boiling in here.

My rental management company phoned me up last week and asked about my heating (amongst other usual stuff), and I told them I have lived here for 3 years, and never switched my heating on. I prefer a cold bedroom. When I grew up in Salford, there was a hole in my bedroom window that my Dad refused to replace. So I am used to minus temperature in the bedroom, that's why I survived my ex for so long.

It snowed here 2 years ago, and I left the bedroom window open. 

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Is this a blathering thread? If so I could use it right now. I don't want any negativity atm, I just need to be.

Yep, treat it like a virtual diary. As long as you don't post anything that'd get moderator attention.

I created it a couple of years ago as people were grumbling that Uninteresting Trivial Facts was getting full of blathering.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

Finally after a month my glasses are ready to pick up

I got my new ones last week, hate them with a passion, back to opticians this morning to get them redone as they're beyond useless. The reading range is so short that I can't read a book at arm's length without getting a thumping headache after 5 mins.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Cholesterol results in today as part of a blood test:

HDL - 1.0
LDL - 0.9
Triglycerides - 0.9

For a 49 year old chunky lad who really needs to lose 3 stone, that's good.

Happy with that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

What's the secret? I'm asking for my 43 year old friend....

Working class genes with centuries of lard and stodgy in a diet marrying a wife who feeds me my food’s food. I think my body is genetically used to stodgy food so burns cholesterol for fun and doesn’t know what to do with healthy stuff.

For example, lunch today, bruschetta, home made with fancy tomatoes and stuff. Dinner, pasta, veggie basic one.

In fact... today was a vegetarian day. My forefathers would be ashamed... I will go eat meat for the hell of it now, maybe a slice of ham.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ckn said:

Working class genes with centuries of lard and stodgy in a diet marrying a wife who feeds me my food’s food. I think my body is genetically used to stodgy food so burns cholesterol for fun and doesn’t know what to do with healthy stuff.

For example, lunch today, bruschetta, home made with fancy tomatoes and stuff. Dinner, pasta, veggie basic one.

In fact... today was a vegetarian day. My forefathers would be ashamed... I will go eat meat for the hell of it now, maybe a slice of ham.

ONE slice! That makes you practically a vegan in my book.

• Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Cod liver oil probably, and a healthy diet, that is what has kept me to 58

Balanced diet. Have chips now and again, fried food once a week, don't go vegan. red meat is good for cholesterol, and red blood cells, in moderation, Chicken is also protein balanced, so plenty of that (although not Nando's and KFC every day).

I once ate Chicken every day for a month before a Doctors assessment of my Epilepsy status, and passed it with flying colours, as they say.

Edited by Bleep1673