Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

FIFA World Cup 2018

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Is this post some sort of reaction to Maradona being criticised on here for his behaviour at last night's game? :huh:

I would have thought that any right minded person would condemn his inflammatory actions, especially in a sport synonymous with crowd violence and with him knowing full well that they may have been captured on the large screens inside the stadium. 

Absolutely, my reaction was 'this dipstick could start a riot here'. It's absolutely nothing to do with past issues.

Although if we're talking about 'letting it go', some of the anti English stuff I've seen on Twitter from some Scottish fans is ridiculous and obsessive.

Edited by Johnoco
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Absolutely, my reaction was 'this dipstick could start a riot here'. It's absolutely nothing to do with past issues.

Although if we're talking about 'letting it go', some of the anti English stuff I've seen on Twitter from some Scottish fans is ridiculous and obsessive.

I am close to falling out with some of these Scottish idiots on my social media. The lack of self-awareness from some of them, abusing English fans for enjoying the football, whilst making out they are on some moral high ground is staggering.

The bitterness is getting worse.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I am close to falling out with some of these Scottish idiots on my social media. The lack of self-awareness from some of them, abusing English fans for enjoying the football, whilst making out they are on some moral high ground is staggering.

My brother was saying the same with guys at his work ... he got it when they beat us at cricket and he hit back ‘ now and again a nonleague team beats a top flight team in the FA Cup ‘

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Is this post some sort of reaction to Maradona being criticised on here for his behaviour at last night's game? :huh:

I would have thought that any right minded person would condemn his inflammatory actions, especially in a sport synonymous with crowd violence and with him knowing full well that they may have been captured on the large screens inside the stadium. 

To be honest I thought it was a reaction to the obligatory “hand of god”reference made by the bbc commentator?

23 minutes ago, DavidM said:

My brother was saying the same with guys at his work ... he got it when they beat us at cricket and he hit back ‘ now and again a nonleague team beats a top flight team in the FA Cup ‘

Im cool with sports 'banter' and good on the Scottish cricket fans for mocking the England fans, but the football stuff is just an excuse for anti-English sentiment to go more public than usual.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes. There's a huge difference between Andy Murray joking that he's off to buy a Paraguay shirt and some of the absolute gutter-dwelling shot that gets splurged out.

And, anyway, here's the perfectly valid left-liberal way of supporting England:

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think those giving Maradona the benefit of the doubt today for his behaviour last night (this isn’t aimed necessarily at anybody on here) ought to bear in mind his previous behaviour.

BBC reporter Jacqui Oatley has already witnessed him making a despicable racist gesture using his eyes to a group of South Korean fans this World Cup.

The guy is clearly out of control and those laughing it all off as laddish banter need to have a word with themselves imo.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think those giving Maradona the benefit of the doubt today for his behaviour last night (this isn’t aimed necessarily at anybody on here) ought to bear in mind his previous behaviour.

BBC reporter Jacqui Oatley has already witnessed him making a despicable racist gesture using his eyes to a group of South Korean fans this World Cup.

The guy is clearly out of control and those laughing it all off as laddish banter need to have a word with themselves imo.

He's off his #### most of the time, fabulously rich, surrounded by lackies and living on the fact that he single-handedly won his country a World Cup.

I mean, most of us in that state would be a little unstable. By which, I mean, absolutely mental. I'd stand well back and never have a camera on him TBH.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

Nigeria were unlikely and have a young team but I think seeing the passion of those Argentinian fans towards the end of the match it was good for the tournament that they went through.

Nigeria look like they have a lot of potential... but that's been said before about them. Maybe this time.

As for the Argentina fans, some teams say the crowd is their extra man. Yesterday, they felt like an extra half a squad! 

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Simple game, Football...

DgsqUkHW0AALg_j.jpg

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Episode two of 'the problem is really with us.'

Nope. Episode one was an attempt to disabuse England fans of the idea that they are uniquely righteous among the cheating, diving nations of world football.

Episode two was a light hearted joke with maybe a subtext of "he's a well-known drug addict who is known for his erratic behaviour, had been goaded all game by opposition fans and maybe the fault is with the TV crews who insist on filming him when they know what will happen". The over the top outrage at his behaviour is a little ridiculous.

• Like 1

Germany knocked out of a tournament before England? Well, well, well...

Normally, I find Germany a good side to watch, but they've been awful this time. A fully-deserved early bath.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear ... and didn’t that bbc commentator love it and rub it in a few times . Good lad 

I don't think I've ever seen all nationalities and political persuasions united on social media quite like this.

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Germany knocked out of a tournament before England? Well, well, well...

Normally, I find Germany a good side to watch, but they've been awful this time. A fully-deserved early bath.

I never thought I'd see a Germany side as bad as the one in Euro 2004 but this one is close.

I don't think it would have made a difference in the end but Loew will be crucified for not taking Sané.

Just now, gingerjon said:

I don't think I've ever seen all nationalities and political persuasions united on social media quite like this.

I'm a little disappointed in that they're usually a great team to watch, but I'm glad Mexico survived.

5 minutes ago, damp squib said:

I'm a little disappointed in that they're usually a great team to watch, but I'm glad Mexico survived.

It's not a World Cup unless Mexico get knocked out in the round of 16.

• Like 1