league one

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DEANO said:

As much as I admire Newcastle they are currently only the best of the rest but are a good competitive side with good support. 

If my memory serves me correctly they were better than most by making the playoff semi final at Barrow last season .

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Have they stopped trying in any games? Not trying in my opinion constitutes giving up...

Difficult isn’t it . Giving up , or just trying but being nowhere near good enough for the league . Can’t say without seeing them but although it looks bad you’ve got to have sympathy and hope the future with the new coach means they start making small steps forward as other sides have done from god awful positions . 

31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Difficult isn’t it . Giving up , or just trying but being nowhere near good enough for the league . Can’t say without seeing them but although it looks bad you’ve got to have sympathy and hope the future with the new coach means they start making small steps forward as other sides have done from god awful positions . 

Not being good enough is entirely different from giving up isn’t it? I expect West Wales to improve next year with some good quality coaching. Without an influx of better players, it won’t dramatically improve the side but it’ll be a step in the right direction.

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Not being good enough is entirely different from giving up isn’t it? I expect West Wales to improve next year with some good quality coaching. Without an influx of better players, it won’t dramatically improve the side but it’ll be a step in the right direction.

Absolutely . New coach is at least a positive sign 

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

Didn't they get some appreciation from the YCK fans for their efforts in the hiding they took at York?

rldfsignature.jpg

I like how when Toronto beat everyone easily they are a joke because they have no local players and shouldn’t be in the comp, but when West Wales field a whole squad of locals (or all expansion area players at any rate) and get pumped they’re a joke and shouldn’t be in the comp. According to a certain calibre of “fan” anyway.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:47 PM, superten said:

Having seen many one sided games in my time. Matches that just become a training session. I wonder how many fans go home happy and feeling they had value for money when watching there team put 100 plus points passed a hapless West Wales Raiders. Surly this cant go on as much as I would like to see a team in South Wales west Wales are obviously not up to the mark. This has to be the worst semi pro team of all time . Its making a mockery of club records . To me unless they can prove they have strengthened there squad they shouldn't be allowed to start next season .   

The removal of Match Commissioners from the games may suggest that the loss making RFL may themselves not want any League 1 clubs to start next season.

Other semi-pro teams have entered the lowest tier when dual reg with Super League clubs/players had not been part of the sport.

The strength of the squad has been considerably weakened by the absence of the two captains on a regular basis,the signed half back being injured,and countless other problems that occur on a regular basis.

Gateshead Thunder finished second bottom of the league in 2007.The following year,2008,they won the league.

I see a strong squad in the 'elite' league,one that has won more than Wigan,St Helens and Warrington,in recent years,since 2008,say,and they have been in the Qualifiers/8's,despite that success,and the head coach during those successful years has just lost his position at the club.They are likely to repeat their time in the Qualifiers later this year.

That squad is at one of the richest clubs in the sport in Britain with some of the largest attendances.

The head coach coming to West Wales appears to have improved both the fitness and discipline of Dave 'Coal Train' Taylor,something not done elsewhere,including at an 'elite' league club in France,when he regularly appeared at Red Hall after some 

'tip' tackles,and he also coached former prop at Doncaster Mr Groat,who has gone into the NRL.

I don't expect there to be too many training sessions this year,should the injured/unavailable players return - and even less opportunity next season.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 7/10/2018 at 4:34 PM, Mumby Magic said:

When are people ever happy?

Despite being youngest still :) (41) I've been watching the game regularly home and away since the late 80's.

Then we had 5 countries playing the game. The only non-heartland team was London.

Now we have a world cup of 16 countries - with qualifiers to boot. We are arguing the to$$ over clubs from the far reaches of Wales, Newcastle, (another) London club and a club in Berkshire!! Not to mention the others. Really? Is this is what it has come to. Can't we embrace our game, look forward to watching our game in these places and just get on with it?

Indeed. And there were only pro teams in 2 countries. I make it 6 now. (7 if Wales counts, and I'm sure they would concur).

I started watching when people were worried about Widnes signing every decent Youth player and financially out-muscling everybody on average crowds of c 5000.

EDIT: I started watching before then. That is when I became politically aware of the endless machinations of RL.

9 hours ago, newbe said:

I think West Wales are more of a political appointment, due to the fact RFL need a 2nd Welsh club. 

I think West Wales got into League 1 as they had shown an interest and then South Wales Ironmen may not have completed the fixtures given to them for  2017.

The owner and board of directors probably don't want any thanks - so I'll merely doff my cap.

Do tell of the prescient RFL and their political machinations.Intrigued...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 8:42 AM, roughyedspud said:

If ? Look at the bleeding table!

Skolars have won more games than all 3 teams below them combined!

You were saying?

I've looked at the bleeding table and Coventry have won as many games as the teams below them combined.

" Lies, damned lies and statistics"

Mark Twain?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 7/9/2018 at 2:47 PM, superten said:

Having seen many one sided games in my time. Matches that just become a training session. I wonder how many fans go home happy and feeling they had value for money when watching there team put 100 plus points passed a hapless West Wales Raiders. Surly this cant go on as much as I would like to see a team in South Wales west Wales are obviously not up to the mark. This has to be the worst semi pro team of all time . Its making a mockery of club records . To me unless they can prove they have strengthened there squad they shouldn't be allowed to start next season .   

yawn

I agree with your sentiment superten, but then again maybe you shouldn't be allowed to post again until you can construct a sentence, punctate it correctly, and learn to spell. Predictive text and speed lead us all into errors but your diatribe against WWR is laden with errors, just like their performances on the pitch.Perhaps you can both learn together.

Archived