22 Jul: Bradford Bulls v York City Knights (League 1 Promotion Battle) KO 3pm

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, spanishknight said:

What a wally.

Why????????????????????

A regional game with one of its biggest clubs that produced half the England team stuck in the third tier!!!!!!!!!

You are probably one of the wallys that think carrying 4 teams in the top division is the way for progress and to win a world cup whilst the teams who can drive the game forward are languishing in the third tier.

This isn't ment to be disrespectful to the very well run teams in league1 who are at differing development levels. All clubs should strive to be the best they can be, if Bradford where the best they can be they would be in SL. 

That is Bradford as a club and not as a team.

8 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Nobody has a rightful place anywhere - you get what you deserve. 

The big clubs who have driven the game forward and actually develop their own players are the ones who keep the game alive, the clubs who assemble teams are leaches that would fall down if the big clubs cut their academies and tried to assemble a team from other people's labour.

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Why????????????????????

A regional game with one of its biggest clubs that produced half the England team stuck in the third tier!!!!!!!!!

You are probably one of the wallys that think carrying 4 teams in the top division is the way for progress and to win a world cup whilst the teams who can drive the game forward are languishing in the third tier.

This isn't ment to be disrespectful to the very well run teams in league1 who are at differing development levels. All clubs should strive to be the best they can be, if Bradford where the best they can be they would be in SL. 

That is Bradford as a club and not as a team.

Bradford are in the 3rd tier because that’s where their ment to be. If they get promoted to the second tier it’ll be where their meant to be

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

I think the Bulls have actually gone backwards in terms of playing quality since the first game of the season, and have rarely played up to the potential of those early season games. I think we will have to put in their best performance of the season to win, but I think York will win probably by a score or two. 

I think whatever happens tomorrow, although automatic promotion is obviously preferred, I can't see past both clubs going up regardless (although I do worry the Bulls will panic, but that's might be just due to the fact I'm primed for disappointment after the last decade!). 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

2 hours ago, DEANO said:

Bradford are in the 3rd tier because that’s where their ment to be. If they get promoted to the second tier it’ll be where their meant to be

Correct

However the quicker the big clubs can bounce back the better!

Half the England team came from the bulls set up, they need to continue this for the good of RL

On 7/19/2018 at 9:57 PM, fairfolly said:

John Kears A game is designed to win first and foremost which has failed only once this season.How many tries has winger Ryan scored this year?How many tries has Minchella scored from offloads.?How many points have they scored,answer,a lot more than anybody else in the League.Now please tell me what else would you like to see,throwing the ball all over the field and losing 48-46.Some supporters are never satisfied,win and they are rubbish,lose and they are rubbish.You pay your money so you have a right to your opinion but I thought the same way as you do I would not bother going.

I'm guessing you are one of the terrace chanters.

Sky can make Salford v Wakefield sound like a clash of the titans and you are doing the same with the Bulls.

5 drives and a kick against part timers and novices is a joke. In the past few weeks, both Hunslet and Newcastle have been more inventive than us. This week, Kear was extolling the virtues of Ashley Gibson ... 'never goes 80 yards but solid in defence.' Well, he's got a winger outside him who can go 80 yards but Gibson never bothers passing it to him. Minchella picks up offloads from the one player who gives them ... Chisholm. Ryan scores a lot of his tries from chasing down kicks and catching high kicks to the corner.

The Bulls with Chisholm  remind me of Northern with Deryck Fox. When the opposition lock down the playmaker they lock down the whole team. That's why ( a ) Lilley is a good signing and ( b ) Butterworth should have been at least on the bench all season.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

12 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Sky can make Salford v Wakefield sound like a clash of the titans and you are doing the same with the Bulls.

5 drives and a kick against part timers and novices is a joke. In the past few weeks, both Hunslet and Newcastle have been more inventive than us. This week, Kear was extolling the virtues of Ashley Gibson ... 'never goes 80 yards but solid in defence.' Well, he's got a winger outside him who can go 80 yards but Gibson never bothers passing it to him. Minchella picks up offloads from the one player who gives them ... Chisholm. Ryan scores a lot of his tries from chasing down kicks and catching high kicks to the corner.

The Bulls with Chisholm  remind me of Northern with Deryck Fox. When the opposition lock down the playmaker they lock down the whole team. That's why ( a ) Lilley is a good signing and ( b ) Butterworth should have been at least on the bench all season.

What Kear has done is to ask the players to be respectful of the opposition. 

Standard practice is to gain physical superiority, through the pack, before flinging the ball about with gay abandon and JK is a stickler for doing things the right way. Fine. I fully accept that in some of our games it has hardly mattered; we could have flung the ball out to the wings from the first catch after the initial kick-off, it wouldn't have made a scrap of difference to the result. Kear's way is to learn good habits and bring those good habits onto the pitch consistently. Kear's way is best, imo.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

15 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Be nice to have a snake in attendance for once  who isn't running the club 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Thing is it's worked. So far with a better record than the mighty Wolfpack finished. My only frustration is the apparent restriction of which is held on Chisholm.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

4 hours ago, DEANO said:

Completely agree and I don't think you'd find any Bulls fans who think otherwise. We want to be promoted on merit to the Championship and then, eventually, we can look at getting promoted to SL (on merit).

2 hours ago, DEANO said:

Maybe we should put Swinton and Oldham back up as well

Nobody wants to be 'put back up'. But if Swinton and/or Oldham are able to get promoted on merit then good luck to them. Getting their own ground and a proper fan base would be a step forward though!

People really do need to give it a rest with the 'straw man' arguments about the Bulls. I think you'd find 99% of the Bulls fanbase completely accept that we've been a total embarrassment off the field in the past few years. Thankfully we are now building on proper foundations and there is the genuine hope that we can start to build up things even further on those foundations. But we certainly don't take anything for granted, least of all in tomorrows game which I expect to be highly competitive.

And if it turns out that York win tomorrow and go on to claim that automatic promotion place then they will have deserved to do so. And we will have to take our chances in the play offs. Speaking personally, I very much hope that BOTH teams go up by one route or the other, as it seems to me we are the two most progressive and potential-laden clubs in League One.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Completely agree and I don't think you'd find any Bulls fans who think otherwise. We want to be promoted on merit to the Championship and then, eventually, we can look at getting promoted to SL (on merit).

Nobody wants to be 'put back up'. But if Swinton and/or Oldham are able to get promoted on merit then good luck to them. Getting their own ground and a proper fan base would be a step forward though!

People really do need to give it a rest with the 'straw man' arguments about the Bulls. I think you'd find 99% of the Bulls fanbase completely accept that we've been a total embarrassment off the field in the past few years. Thankfully we are now building on proper foundations and there is the genuine hope that we can start to build up things even further on those foundations. But we certainly don't take anything for granted, least of all in tomorrows game which I expect to be highly competitive.

And if it turns out that York win tomorrow and go on to claim that automatic promotion place then they will have deserved to do so. And we will have to take our chances in the play offs. Speaking personally, I very much hope that BOTH teams go up by one route or the other, as it seems to me we are the two most progressive and potential-laden clubs in League One.

Not having a go at you sir or your club just the posters who say certain teams should be back where they belong

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Wolford, Me a terrace chanter,I am 75 years old and have watched Northern/Bulls since 1950.I am guessing you are Welsh going by your logo and one of your original quotes about having a half back Cobi Green who deserves a chance in the first team is nonsense.The lad has potential but is two or three years from playing first team rugby.As for Butterworth being a regular,once again the lad is not ready for first team rugby yet.Are you trying to say he should be in the squad ahead of Flanagan,Hallas or Halafihi.If you are you quite do not know your rugby.This season John Kear is trying to rebuild the club from the "car crash" we have had for the last 10 years or so.are you also saying he is wrong picking a team to achieve promotion to begin this long road ahead?As I have said previously you are entitled to your opinion but I would not mind a little bet that 99% of Bradford supporters will vehemently disagree with you.As I posted, you moan if they win,you moan if they lose.Just one further question, who would you have chosen for the Coach ahead of Kear as a club in League 1 ? My guess he would be a Welshman,even though Kear is the Welsh coach.

39 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Wolford, Me a terrace chanter,I am 75 years old and have watched Northern/Bulls since 1950.I am guessing you are Welsh going by your logo and one of your original quotes about having a half back Cobi Green who deserves a chance in the first team is nonsense.The lad has potential but is two or three years from playing first team rugby.As for Butterworth being a regular,once again the lad is not ready for first team rugby yet.Are you trying to say he should be in the squad ahead of Flanagan,Hallas or Halafihi.If you are you quite do not know your rugby.This season John Kear is trying to rebuild the club from the "car crash" we have had for the last 10 years or so.are you also saying he is wrong picking a team to achieve promotion to begin this long road ahead?As I have said previously you are entitled to your opinion but I would not mind a little bet that 99% of Bradford supporters will vehemently disagree with you.As I posted, you moan if they win,you moan if they lose.Just one further question, who would you have chosen for the Coach ahead of Kear as a club in League 1 ? My guess he would be a Welshman,even though Kear is the Welsh coach.

Not ready our first team but Cas will have him though?? We have a tremendous youth set up but I'd like Andrade and Goodall to be given a run out, lets say against maybe West Wales. Plus no Pickersgill this week is surprising.

I'm actually quite nervous and excited and I'm 41!!!!!

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

5 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Can anyone tell me the ways in which clubs can get promoted from League 1 into the championship?

Does top place get promoted after how many rounds? Then playoff for second promoted club?

Top gets promotion after every team has played each other twice (I know, how novel). Then a playoff between positions 2-5 ie 2vs5 and 3vs4 and the winners go through to the final 

SQL Honours

3 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Wolford, Me a terrace chanter,I am 75 years old and have watched Northern/Bulls since 1950.I am guessing you are Welsh going by your logo and one of your original quotes about having a half back Cobi Green who deserves a chance in the first team is nonsense.The lad has potential but is two or three years from playing first team rugby.As for Butterworth being a regular,once again the lad is not ready for first team rugby yet.Are you trying to say he should be in the squad ahead of Flanagan,Hallas or Halafihi.If you are you quite do not know your rugby.

As I posted, you moan if they win,you moan if they lose.Just one further question, who would you have chosen for the Coach ahead of Kear as a club in League 1 ? My guess he would be a Welshman,even though Kear is the Welsh coach.

Well, I'm 64 and, judging by your username, we will probably know each other from Wibsey.

Do I rate Halahifi?  No .  Hallas played better at prop against Hunslet than he has done all season at hooker; no one doubts his effort but he's not an inventive ballplayer. I do rate Flanagan, he was presumably brought in because Kear didn't think Hallas and Halahifi offered enough.

Reiss Butterworth is not a hooker; he's a scrumhalf who can play hooker.

I was happy with the John Kear appointment. I just thought he'd have us playing more like his Batley team. I also thought, given his work with Wales, that he'd give young kids their chance. When we hit the Championship next season, most of those young kids won't have gained any more experience beyond what they gained last season.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

29 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Well, I'm 64 and, judging by your username, we will probably know each other from Wibsey.

Do I rate Halahifi?  No .  Hallas played better at prop against Hunslet than he has done all season at hooker; no one doubts his effort but he's not an inventive ballplayer. I do rate Flanagan, he was presumably brought in because Kear didn't think Hallas and Halahifi offered enough.

Reiss Butterworth is not a hooker; he's a scrumhalf who can play hooker.

I was happy with the John Kear appointment. I just thought he'd have us playing more like his Batley team. I also thought, given his work with Wales, that he'd give young kids their chance. When we hit the Championship next season, most of those young kids won't have gained any more experience beyond what they gained last season.

IF we hit the Championship.

A win tomorrow would make that a reasonable bet. A loss and we are into hostage to fortune territory. I’d have thought it best to keep powder dry right now?

But in any case - getting promotion is really ALL that matters this season. Since, if the Bulls do not get promoted, I fear for the club’s future - it cannot be sustainable at this level. And all the youth development in the world will be lost. I trust Kear to be the best man to achieve promotion. And I suggest he has far far more experience and knowledge of how best to bring that about than anyone on here?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

10 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

IF we hit the Championship.

A win tomorrow would make that a reasonable bet. A loss and we are into hostage to fortune territory. I’d have thought it best to keep powder dry right now?

But in any case - getting promotion is really ALL that matters this season. Since, if the Bulls do not get promoted, I fear for the club’s future - it cannot be sustainable at this level. And all the youth development in the world will be lost. I trust Kear to be the best man to achieve promotion. And I suggest he has far far more experience and knowledge of how best to bring that about than anyone on here?

Don't be thinking like that right now Adey, just enjoy the season (in particular tomorrow's game) for the exciting ride it is. Both clubs have come so far from the messes they were both in a few years ago, and should serve up a cracking day tomorrow regardless of the result.

Best of luck to both teams, and I hope we're both celebrating come September! :D 

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Don't be thinking like that right now Adey, just enjoy the season (in particular tomorrow's game) for the exciting ride it is. Both clubs have come so far from the messes they were both in a few years ago, and should serve up a cracking day tomorrow regardless of the result.

Best of luck to both teams, and I hope we're both celebrating come September! :D 

Don't misunderstand me - I'm with you there!  I was just trying to make a point about premature complacency, and that we don't have the luxury of being able to do all the things that in an ideal world you might give a go.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Wolford, I fully understand your sentiments re the young players,but as Adey says this season is all about getting promotion.John Kear can not afford to play these young kids to achieve that target.As Keighley found out yesterday every team apart from possibly W.W. will do their utmost to make it difficult .Also points difference could well come into the equation at the seasons end so to pick your strongest team in all games is common sense to me.Todays game should be a super advert for League 1 with possibly the two strongest teams in there and hopefully these two teams achieve promotion.Be sure about it though there will still be tough games to come for them both which is why it is so vital for both teams.Hopefully Rugby League will be the winner with the result decided by the players and not a "dodgy drop goal".L.O.L.

Archived