RLIF Singapore Meeting

For anyone who caught the back end of SL Golden Point on Sky, it was mentioned that there is a proposal for a change in voting rights to give greater say to emerging nations.

Currently Australia, NZ and England have 20% each. The new proposal sees this reducing to potentially as low as 8%. Unsurprisingly the NRL are trying to thwart this and have contacted SL to do likewise. It will be interesting to see how this transpires. I for one would welcome some dilution of the top 3, perhaps not as low as 8% but certainly to below a majority combined 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

For anyone who caught the back end of SL Golden Point on Sky, it was mentioned that there is a proposal for a change in voting rights to give greater say to emerging nations.

Currently Australia, NZ and England have 20% each. The new proposal sees this reducing to potentially as low as 8%. Unsurprisingly the NRL are trying to thwart this and have contacted SL to do likewise. It will be interesting to see how this transpires. I for one would welcome some dilution of the top 3, perhaps not as low as 8% but certainly to below a majority combined 

I think some dilution is in order. PNG and France at least should have more say, and when brands like Tonga have the potential to be a big draw in events then They should have a say instead of being an NRL select team.

The Aussies are also angry that the RLIF is trying to hold them to the amount of money the NRL promised in order to win the right to host the RLWC. Apparently there's a dispute over $4million (of the promised $10million).

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 minute ago, nadera78 said:

The Aussies are also angry that the RLIF is trying to hold them to the amount of money the NRL promised in order to win the right to host the RLWC. Apparently there's a dispute over $4million (of the promised $10million).

Thanks, didn’t know that and quite right. The NRL currently have a large surplus from their new tv deal so have no excuse not to pay it

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Anyone heard anything following the meeting? Or was it another sojourn where nothing gets agreed?

Probably although I'm sure Australia will come out next week and tell us all who and when we'll be playing

9 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Didn't know Singapore was a rugby league hub?

Supposedly Singapore is a half way compromise between meeting in Australia or in the UK. In fact it isn't. Singapore is much closer to Australia (7 hours flying from Sydney) than to the UK. They should have met in Dubai to be genuinely fair. 

France should get alot more say and priority. They are RLs best hope for a breakthrough at international level as have money population good security and if you apply a rule that 50% of a team is home born, are pretty level with PNG, Fiji and Tonga and Samoa, al of whom offer far less commercially than France. 

France are half way there. With say a team of 7 home born and 6 naturalised players they could be beating nz on their day....

France is also the gateway to Europe. Just ask union... 

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Supposedly Singapore is a half way compromise between meeting in Australia or in the UK. In fact it isn't. Singapore is much closer to Australia (7 hours flying from Sydney) than to the UK. They should have met in Dubai to be genuinely fair. 

It's 14 hours to Dubai from Sydney, and only 8 hours on to London. A direct flight somewhere between Bangkok and New Delhi would be closest.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:06 PM, DoubleD said:

It was Charles Carson's vote, swaying from the Aus/NZ pact to the RFL/RLEF members, that secured Nigel Wood as chairman back in circa 2014.

We should be moving towards a scenario where the confederations get a vote - Asia-Pacific, Europe, MEA, Americas. Especially with the growing number of south american and central african nations.

If each of the following received a vote, would we have stronger governance:

Each tier one nation - Australia, England, New Zealand

Each confederation - APRLC. RLEF, MEA, Americas

So if Australia wanted to get their new calendar approved, they'd have to convince 3 of NZ, APRLC, RLEF, MEA, Americas.

It would be unlikely for the RLEF to jump ship, meaning they'd have to convince MEA or Americas to sway. Would this be good governance? Of course if another nation moves to Tier 1, ie France or PNG, then we'd have further dilution. 

2 hours ago, dealwithit said:

It's 14 hours to Dubai from Sydney, and only 8 hours on to London. A direct flight somewhere between Bangkok and New Delhi would be closest.

Im bored so I looked up the distance between Manchester and Sydney and it is 10,555 miles.

Divide that by 2 and you get an halfway point of 5,277.5 miles.

The 2 nearest cities as the crow flies are Islamabad at 5,177 miles and Faisalabad  at 5,340 miles.  So take your pick, which one is best at this time of year?

http://www.rlif.com/article/8444/rlif-board-makes-progress-on-international-calendar-and-governance

Key elements of the calendar include:

• Rugby League World Cup in 2021 and 2025
  • Kangaroos Tour to UK in 2020
  • Kiwi Tour to UK in 2018 and 2022
  • Lions tour to southern hemisphere in 2019 and 2024
  • 9s World Cup in 2019 and 2023
  • 2019 Championships for the Pacific nations in a mid and end of season format
  • 2018 European Championship (and then at two-year intervals)
  • 2018 Australia v New Zealand Test (annually to 2022)
  • 2020 New Zealand fixture(s) in the southern hemisphere

10 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Are they still using the Concorde :-) 

Most Flights take at least 8 hours.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Just too spec that out for everyone,I'll stick to the main comps and leave out single tests like oz v nz & Denver tests.

- nz tour UK,games v England & France

- European cup

- world 9s

- pacific cup ( no news on how often this would be though?)

- GB tour down under

- European Cup

- Australia tour up here games v England & tba

- nz fixtures v pacific nation(s)

- world cup

- nz tour of UK

- European cup

- world 9s

- I suspect the Aussie's will come up here.

- GB tour down under

- European cup

- world cup.

A few things I'd switch around..I'd have nz arranging pacific fixtures in 2019 not 2020..

In 2020 there should be a pacific cup,that syncs it up with the European Cup that'll be held every 2 years..and every other Pac/Euro Cup will lead into a world cup so it'll give those nations a real good look at their squads..

And lastly...GB shouldn't be touring the year before a world cup like in 2024..move it to 2023 and have the Aussie's play England in 2024. 

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Lots of long and unwieldy sentences - saying little of substance as usual. The decision around voting rights has been delayed, again. The need to look at sanctioning of test matches is just the Aussies moaning abut Denver, again. It looks like Australia won't be taking part in the Pacific Championships, which is a shame but to be expected. And no mention of the RLWC profits that were promised by the Aussies.

Leaving aside my dislike of the prospect of GB touring, who at the RFL thinks it's a good idea for GB to be touring in 2024, when at that point England should be preparing themselves for the RLWC the following year?

1 minute ago, nadera78 said:

The decision around voting rights has been delayed, again.

I saw something on twitter as saying the NRL and SL thought Nigel Wood was going for a power grab?  Which seems the opposite of giving more power to other nations?  Spin??

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Lots of long and unwieldy sentences - saying little of substance as usual. The decision around voting rights has been delayed, again. The need to look at sanctioning of test matches is just the Aussies moaning abut Denver, again. It looks like Australia won't be taking part in the Pacific Championships, which is a shame but to be expected. And no mention of the RLWC profits that were promised by the Aussies.

Leaving aside my dislike of the prospect of GB touring, who at the RFL thinks it's a good idea for GB to be touring in 2024, when at that point England should be preparing themselves for the RLWC the following year?

How different do you think the teams will be if there picked on form?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

How different do you think the teams will be if there picked on form?

Well, that's one of the reasons I dislike the return of GB. But, even assuming there are only one or two token Celts in the squad, it's still a distraction and still based upon a different set of priorities to those of England.

8 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I saw something on twitter as saying the NRL and SL thought Nigel Wood was going for a power grab?  Which seems the opposite of giving more power to other nations?  Spin??

As things stand England, Australia and New Zealand have the votes stitched up. The issue is finding a voting system that gives other nations a fair say whilst acknowledging the fact we only have 2 professional leagues. But some people - as ever - don't like to give up their position of power.

Archived