TWP draw larger crowd than NRL game

A poor ground falling apart in Brookvale. The Club itself is in a real mess with every week some negative news story seemingly being written and then there is a team. Manly squad is probably the weakest Manly team there has been in 30 years or more. No real surprise a low crowd. I think they may end up selling to a Perth Consortium and playing out there with the odd game in Gosford. The future of Brookvale and the Manly Club doesnt look great. I am not surprised that Manly got such a low crowd but then the Sydney Clubs dont often sell themselves very well and seem to think people will just turn up. Maybe they could do something and look at how Toronto manage to get 8000 plus people to turn up to be involved in a sport that many have no real understanding of.

Its great to see Toronto once again pull in thr crowds and get a 8000 crowd. Who cares if they are mostly free tickets or the crowd are at the beer tents. Maybe SL clubs should be looking at toronto off the field and look to learn some lessons. Toronto are a positive but sadly many RL people including some at SL Clubs cant see past their own nose and refuse to see that the game and their club can benefit from having Toronto in.

Brookvale is a dump. Even when they proposed fixing it up, the proposed new ground still looked rubbish.

Their fans are famous for their unwillingness to travel across the harbour to watch their team play finals matches. 

I suspect a team in Perth, from day 1, would have higher crowds and more fans than Manly.

Considering there was nothing particularly wrong with Paramattas ground (compared to some over here) but that looks like a great improvement. Hope to visit it when finished. I was fortunate to go there twice in the 2008 World Cup

2 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

A poor ground falling apart in Brookvale. The Club itself is in a real mess with every week some negative news story seemingly being written and then there is a team. Manly squad is probably the weakest Manly team there has been in 30 years or more. No real surprise a low crowd. I think they may end up selling to a Perth Consortium and playing out there with the odd game in Gosford. The future of Brookvale and the Manly Club doesnt look great. I am not surprised that Manly got such a low crowd but then the Sydney Clubs dont often sell themselves very well and seem to think people will just turn up. Maybe they could do something and look at how Toronto manage to get 8000 plus people to turn up to be involved in a sport that many have no real understanding of.

Its great to see Toronto once again pull in thr crowds and get a 8000 crowd. Who cares if they are mostly free tickets or the crowd are at the beer tents. Maybe SL clubs should be looking at toronto off the field and look to learn some lessons. Toronto are a positive but sadly many RL people including some at SL Clubs cant see past their own nose and refuse to see that the game and their club can benefit from having Toronto in.

I very much doubt they are "mostly free tickets".  That's just a myth peddled by bitter Leigh fans.

2 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

I very much doubt they are "mostly free tickets".  That's just a myth peddled by bitter Leigh fans.

Yes, there have been tons of promotions on the TWP tickets, but there wouldn't be a returning crowd of 8,000 if they weren't enjoying themselves. This might be a difficult for some folks in Yorkshire to understand (sorry to play on a stereotype), but there is so much to do in Toronto on a summer weekend, folks aren't going to go to something just because it is free.

2 hours ago, ojx said:

folks aren't going to go to something just because it is free.

it's when Canucks say crazy things like this Ojx that the M62'ers lose all faith in what we say.

6 hours ago, Copa said:

Brookvale is a dump. Even when they proposed fixing it up, the proposed new ground still looked rubbish.

Their fans are famous for their unwillingness to travel across the harbour to watch their team play finals matches. 

I suspect a team in Perth, from day 1, would have higher crowds and more fans than Manly.

Yep Brookvale is a dump. Many Cas fans have an affinity with Manly because of Reilly, Norton, Stephens and Ward playing for them and Rambo Ronnie playing for us. 

I made the pilgramage about 6 years ago and it made the Cas ground look like the Taj Mahal - and I do mean the mausoleum at Agra and not the local take away.  I went to buy a soft drink and crisps and the 'shop' assistant was sat behind iron bars that the Hatton Garden Gang would have baulked at.

48 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

the 'shop' assistant was sat behind iron bars that the Hatton Garden Gang would have baulked at.

You do know Oz is really just massive island prison right?

10 hours ago, Copa said:

According to some Sea Eagles fans DCE is a bigger problem than the ground and that says something. They shouldn't have increased his wage offer when he was going to the Titans

2 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

You do know Oz is really just massive island prison right?

It's massive alright.

I got the nod from the Escape Committee to dig a tunnel from Adelaide to PNG.  Believe me when I tell you the tunnel is a tad longer than Tom, Dick and Harry put together .... now where is Charles 'the tunnel king' Bronson when you need him?

I am not from Leigh or England, but I have serious doubts about these affluences. amateur photos and videos show a stadium much less full than official photos. 
On the internet, it is more difficult to find the image of a paid ticket than a free ticket. if we compare these affluences with others in the same stage, this reinforces the doubts.
as the first justification for this American project is to make believe that there is a commercial potential, these doubts taint this project.
After saying another user, it may be a choice to fill his tribunes with free tickets but for me it can not stay long like that.

7848A5FE-625A-4746-ADE2-2E0092A013FC.jpeg

F870E590-968C-42DF-BA22-7B835739ABBE.jpeg

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

4 minutes ago, fcl said:

I am not from Leigh or England, but I have serious doubts about these affluences. amateur photos and videos show a stadium much less full than official photos. 
On the internet, it is more difficult to find the image of a paid ticket than a free ticket. if we compare these affluences with others in the same stage, this reinforces the doubts.
as the first justification for this American project is to make believe that there is a commercial potential, these doubts taint this project.
After saying another user, it may be a choice to fill his tribunes with free tickets but for me it can not stay long like that.

Don’t forget Canadians don’t all arrive for kick off.

I was at this game in Toronto. Probably 90% of the crowd, as always, was on the west side (that's where most of the seasons tickets are, (it's in the shade (for 4:30 starts at least)  and sun is at your back rather than directly in your face. That's why there are always many more people on the west side.) And a lot of people are in the beer garden end.

Most of these photos show only the east side stands, so they aren't at all reflective of the true crowd size. 

The east side is also the side the TV cameras face,  so the crowds never look good on tv.

Most of the pictures above are showing the east side.. the empty side. The last one may show the west side. It's a bit hard to tell though.

It seems each week there are people trying to tell us we weren't really there or we didn't pay for our tickets.

I was there, and I pay for my tickets, although as a season seat holder, I did get a couple free "bring a friend tickets" I used for other matches,  to help promote the sport and the team.

Last weekend's match was a fan appreciation match, and some tickets were available for half price.

I expect the large crowd got helped by that a little bit,  but mainly because FINALLY we had a team come over that looked like it was going to be a challenge (and it was) even though it was a meaningless game in the standings for us.

TWP has a team of people, marketing and promoting their matches.
They have invested quite a bit in their off-field personnel.

Those people have also done a good PR job with the local press and media.

They have a great team, and a excellent match day experience, a cool beer garden.

They are a new and novelty experience over here, and some people may just come to check that out. But the novelty is not fading.

And obviously they can pull from a market of about 8 million people in Southern Ontario, with no other pro RL team to compete with.
Probably only London Broncos can say that... yet look how much better TWP has done than London. See all the other factors above for the reasons.

I'm hoping we can now put an end to defending TWP crowd sizes.

I guess some people try to tear TWP down because their own team can't match these numbers.

Manly are no different to any of the other Sydney clubs, their supporters stay at home if the team is not winning.Canterbury had an even smaller crowd at Belmore a few weeks ago.The one exception is Easts (Roosters), their fans don't even show up when they are winning.

22 minutes ago, fcl said:

Just curious but do you live in the French equivalent of Kent by any chance?

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived