Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dixiedean

Toronto marquee signings

Recommended Posts

Listening to 5 Live SX this  evening before the Leeds game Dave Woods mentioned rumours of 5 marquee signings to be revealed soon . Did I hear  correctly? Has anyone heard similar?

Speculate /poo-poo away .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

There was talk of Ricky Leutele. 

He's the one they signed already for next year a few months ago.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun.com/sports/other-sports/wolfpack-add-centre-ricky-leutele-for-next-season/amp

Edited by Krzzystuff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Williams name linked. Very few really decent NRL players off contract for 2019.


Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Who has Kane Linnett signed for? I’d be surprised if he didn’t get a run in SL.

He has been linked with Castleford.


Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Listening to 5 Live SX this  evening before the Leeds game Dave Woods mentioned rumours of 5 marquee signings to be revealed soon . Did I hear  correctly? Has anyone heard similar?

Speculate /poo-poo away .

Jarryd Hayne, the Morris twins, Billy Slater, Cam Smith and perhaps JT

 

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leutele will go great in SL i think. Think they are ok in the backline. Not overly sold on Wallace or McCrone. Maybe Ryley Jacks comes "home". I think Jarryd Hayne will be staying away from North America

Second row looks weak. Lowe? Put in a massive bid for Pangai Jr?

Hooker looks the weakest spot. Korisau?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Leutele will go great in SL i think. Think they are ok in the backline. Not overly sold on Wallace or McCrone. Maybe Ryley Jacks comes "home". I think Jarryd Hayne will be staying away from North America

Second row looks weak. Lowe? Put in a massive bid for Pangai Jr?

Hooker looks the weakest spot. Korisau?

Id echo a lot of that. I think they really need a top quality half. McCrone just doesn't cut it and both half's have poor kicking games.

They also need maybe 3 or 4 more dynamic, powerful forwards with a little more size too and a top quality hooker. They look awfully pedestrian and slow at times in the middle and will get caught out against the better teams. I'd have said a centre as well but have Leutele coming in so should be a lot better there.

All in all if they can bring in about 6 including a couple of top quality, marquee signings at 6 and 9 then they should go okay in Super League, providing they get there of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Id echo a lot of that. I think they really need a top quality half. McCrone just doesn't cut it and both half's have poor kicking games.

They also need maybe 3 or 4 more dynamic, powerful forwards with a little more size too and a top quality hooker. They look awfully pedestrian and slow at times in the middle and will get caught out against the better teams. I'd have said a centre as well but have Leutele coming in so should be a lot better there.

All in all if they can bring in about 6 including a couple of top quality, marquee signings at 6 and 9 then they should go okay in Super League, providing they get there of course.

Perhaps Toronto could snare Ritchie Myler from Leeds to fill the problem half back role (or even Jon Wilkin)? 

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Leutele will go great in SL i think. Think they are ok in the backline. Not overly sold on Wallace or McCrone. Maybe Ryley Jacks comes "home". I think Jarryd Hayne will be staying away from North America

Second row looks weak. Lowe? Put in a massive bid for Pangai Jr?

Hooker looks the weakest spot. Korisau?

Any chance of Segeyaro? Saw a headline earlier that Newcastle Knights are after him. Don’t know whether he’s off contract though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Leutele will go great in SL i think. Think they are ok in the backline. Not overly sold on Wallace or McCrone. Maybe Ryley Jacks comes "home". I think Jarryd Hayne will be staying away from North America

Second row looks weak. Lowe? Put in a massive bid for Pangai Jr?

Hooker looks the weakest spot. Korisau?

I think Blake Wallace has probably been Toronto's best player this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PatrickB said:

I think Blake Wallace has probably been Toronto's best player this season.

I like the look of Wallace; needs a top drawer scrum half alongside him though. 

The forwards, especially hooker is where TWP will need to strengthen over the off-season if they make it to SL. A few of the backs i.e. Russell, Kay, O’Brien are SL quality but the likes of Beswick and Emmitt aren’t. Lussick, Ackers and Dixon will do a job but think Patterson and Buchanan aren’t good for SL-level.

Edited by GeordieSaint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I like the look of Wallace; needs a top drawer scrum half alongside him though. 

The forwards, especially hooker is where TWP will need to strengthen over the off-season if they make it to SL. A few of the backs i.e. Russell, Kay, O’Brien are SL quality but the likes of Beswick and Emmitt aren’t. Lussick, Ackers and Dixon will do a job but think Patterson and Buchanan aren’t good for SL-level.

I write in jest but I really hope they go for the younger hungrier forwards than the likes of Ablett, JJB, Westwood and Wilkin etc. Would be a disaster.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I write in jest but I really hope they go for the younger hungrier forwards than the likes of Ablett, JJB, Westwood and Wilkin etc. Would be a disaster.

Wilkin is rumoured...

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

I like the look of Wallace; needs a top drawer scrum half alongside him though. 

The forwards, especially hooker is where TWP will need to strengthen over the off-season if they make it to SL. A few of the backs i.e. Russell, Kay, O’Brien are SL quality but the likes of Beswick and Emmitt aren’t. Lussick is good enough but think Patterson and Buchanan aren’t good for SL-level. 

Beswick is 33 and is the conditioning coach. I don't think there is a plan for him to play next year, so yes, a hooker definitely. Kicking game, including place kicks needs urgently addressing (although they seem to have drop goals covered). My money would be on Drinkwater or similar to address this.

Prop. Don't think Sims is up to it,  though he tries hard. More needed here. 

Disagree about Patterson though. I've been impressed with him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Williams name linked. Very few really decent NRL players off contract for 2019.

There is a lot of really good ones retiring though. They should put their persuasion skills to the test. Would be great for the game in Canada and Super League if they could convince one of the many super stars retiring at the end of the year to go another year or 2. See a new country, make new friends, meeting interesting new rugby league players and smash them.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Listening to 5 Live SX this  evening before the Leeds game Dave Woods mentioned rumours of 5 marquee signings to be revealed soon . Did I hear  correctly? Has anyone heard similar?

Speculate /poo-poo away .

For Toronto? I thought you could only have 2.

If Toronto have their own TV deal, then do marquee players matter or count??

PS... If... If...Toronto have their own TV deal, and if... if... they are in super league, should it, the monies, not be merged with the SKY deal? Just curious that's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...