Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

NZ Test Series - ticket sales

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d imagine what the RL public really wants right now is England vs Australia.

I’d have no doubt that a possible Ashes clincher at Anfield would be selling double this one.

Judging by the many forum posts on here over the years,  what the RL public wants is always the opposite of whatever the RFL does or doesn't do. Its always the  wrong time, wrong place, wrong price, wrong sponsors, wrong teams, wrong everything

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fair JohnM,thereare plenty of monday morning quarterbacks on here.However,just a little professionalism would help.The RFL give the impression that they merely find whatever opposition is available,chose venues with a pin and then fill in dates on what is convenient to the BBC - how fair that is I dont know but there is no obvious strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An opportunity to engage the people of a city that should be so important to the sport,lost because the people running the sport just cant be arsed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having made the trip from Kent and taken a non-RL following mate from Mansfield as well - disappointed with the crowd.

Far less than a Hull derby is not acceptable really.

The RFL will lose money on this series.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen this on the Liverpool FC Facebook page:

Not seen one for the game on Sunday yet in 43mins has had more likes than the highest like Facebook post on the EnglandRL page in the last 2wks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d imagine what the RL public really wants right now is England vs Australia.

I’d have no doubt that a possible Ashes clincher at Anfield would be selling double this one.

The British RL public maybe; the Australian RL public much less so. That applies equally to the players and therein lies the problem.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The British RL public maybe; the Australian RL public much less so. That applies equally to the players and therein lies the problem.

Well - time to go down there to minimise the hassle for them and to beat them so that they realise they want to play us.

Let's be proactive.

Of course, fiasco's like Saturday mean we can't generate the cash to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we don't know that's the case though, since we don't know what their thinking is, what the objective is etc. It would help if we knew.


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The amazing truth behind the "enjoy the game" phenomenon, turns out its an indepth insight into the mind of the grand master of the rfl Mr rimmer. In this remarkably frank interview he admits " it's a rather strange game for which I have no explanation" and "as my dearest memories began to fade I became nothing more than this gelatinous blob"

a rfl spokesman later added that he believed as a result of this goin viral the anfield test would be a sellout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cookey said:

That's fair JohnM,thereare plenty of monday morning quarterbacks on here.However,just a little professionalism would help.The RFL give the impression that they merely find whatever opposition is available,chose venues with a pin and then fill in dates on what is convenient to the BBC - how fair that is I dont know but there is no obvious strategy.

The problem is that the RFL  don't actively give any impression of anything. We don't even know if the fans and the RFL are expecting the same things, since the RFL don't say what the objective is, what are the measure of success etc.


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Everything is in that sentence. What they did was play "not on the M62". We can't be playing three tests against the same opposition and effectively only ask the people who regularly go to rugby league matches to go. I went to the 2015 game with a few friends - I was the only one who'd been to any other RL games that year (and it was literally only one other game). I'm sure that was replicated around the ground.

Only in the hyper parochial world of rugby league is Liverpool a new audience.

I was at that game too, travelled down with some family members and, apart from a lad from Warrington I used to work with who was a few rows behind we were surrounded by Londoners/southerners who mainly appeared to be RU fans who were enjoying the game. Ditto the game against Australia the following year when I went with a mate from London who attends the challenge cup final with us.


100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The British RL public maybe; the Australian RL public much less so. That applies equally to the players and therein lies the problem.

And the wider British public aren’t bothered; the ones who actually have turned up to games in London aren’t bothered if we play Australia or New Zealand; just as the folk of Coventry weren’t bothered that we played Scotland. I am pretty certain if we played France in Bristol AND (crucially) advertised the fact that we were, they’d turn up and enjoy it (and in larger numbers than at Leigh).

23 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Well - time to go down there to minimise the hassle for them and to beat them so that they realise they want to play us.

Let's be proactive.

The Aussies don’t want to play us in Australia - it’s why nothing has been confirmed for next year with this mess with the GB tour.

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Judging by the many forum posts on here over the years,  what the RL public wants is always the opposite of whatever the RFL does or doesn't do. Its always the  wrong time, wrong place, wrong price, wrong sponsors, wrong teams, wrong everything

John, like yourself I have often defended the RFL, sometimes just to play Devil's advocate, but also sometimes because the claims of what people want them to do is just a bit silly.

However, also like you (based on reading your recent posts) I am finding it more and more difficult to defend their level of performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jpmc said:

An opportunity to engage the people of a city that should be so important to the sport,lost because the people running the sport just cant be arsed 

As a former resident of the city, I can say Liverpool has virtually no interest in rugby - league or union. Its RU team, one of the oldest in Lancashire, had to relocate from St Michael's to St Helens because nobody watched it (150 spectators on a good day). Waterloo, Merseyside's biggest RU club, is almost in Southport! The various incarnations of Liverpool RLFC (City/Highfield/Huyton) were never well supported. I'm afraid to say, to Liverpudlians, rugby league is a 'woolly back' sport which, though played nearby in St Helens, Warrington, Widnes and Runcorn (at one time), has neither relevance nor appeal. Anfield is an odd choice - particularly twice. One of the three NZ Tests should have gone somewhere with at least a little enthusiasm for rugby (either code), such as Bristol, Coventry, Gloucester, Newcastle, Nottingham etc.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JohnM said:

we don't know that's the case though, since we don't know what their thinking is, what the objective is etc. It would help if we knew.

Here are some things we do know John, taken from the RFL's strategy doc (2014-21):

Sold out major national and international events delivering spectacular entertainment for supporters and viewers;

Increase spectator numbers from 2.3m to 3m

Commercial Income - £2.5m to £7m by 2021

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Level of performance or level of non-performance? They don't seem to have done anything to appeal to fringe supporters or non-supporters. SL has Elstone and only time, or next season,  will tell.  There is lots of current test series activity on social media,with Dave Woods working hard, and even George Riley making an appearnce after his period of illness. Thats generally for existing fans , though.  It seems to me fter observing him for a while now that Mr Rimmer would not wumph if you put 5000 volts through him.

  • Haha 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Just seen this on the Liverpool FC Facebook page:

Not seen one for the game on Sunday yet in 43mins has had more likes than the highest like Facebook post on the EnglandRL page in the last 2wks. 

If they could get that they would be "half way there" :ninja:

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The British RL public maybe; the Australian RL public much less so. That applies equally to the players and therein lies the problem.

I think there is a big demand for such a series amongst Rugby League supporters in Australia the problem is as follows.

The NRL clubs see 12k turn up in Auckland to watch Australia play New Zealand and 17k roll up in Hull and they think "outside Australia this sport is heading for palliative care. #### this international nonsense what are the AFL up to"

Edited by Luckycreed
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we some how please get rid off Rimmer now. The guy who heads an organisation that booked a 50k+ venue coming out with a statement like this using the word HOPE....  I'm genuinely embarrassed to be a fan of the sport at times. 

"We’d like to see a really considerable boost off the back of Saturday’s game as it’s a big stadium and a fantastic venue,” Rimmer said. “I would hope we would be over 25,000 for it, something like that.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/28/england-crowd-estimate-second-test-new-zealand-anfield-rugby-league?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Can we some how please get rid off Rimmer now. The guy who heads an organisation that booked a 50k+ venue coming out with a statement like this using the word HOPE....  I'm genuinely embarrassed to be a fan of the sport at times. 

"We’d like to see a really considerable boost off the back of Saturday’s game as it’s a big stadium and a fantastic venue,” Rimmer said. “I would hope we would be over 25,000 for it, something like that.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/28/england-crowd-estimate-second-test-new-zealand-anfield-rugby-league?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

I try not to be too critical of the individuals involved, but I am sick to death of these passive leaders that we have. We just see far too much pragmatism - why aren't we being bold and aggressive around our targets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Can we some how please get rid off Rimmer now. The guy who heads an organisation that booked a 50k+ venue coming out with a statement like this using the word HOPE....  I'm genuinely embarrassed to be a fan of the sport at times. 

"We’d like to see a really considerable boost off the back of Saturday’s game as it’s a big stadium and a fantastic venue,” Rimmer said. “I would hope we would be over 25,000 for it, something like that.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/28/england-crowd-estimate-second-test-new-zealand-anfield-rugby-league?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

I'm amazed Rimmer was allowed to say any of this. Talk about green as grass. The reporter must have been rubbing his hands. The obvious lack of advice over what should and should not be said leads me to think the RFL has made redundant its press office staff (assuming there is/was more than one staffer).

Edited by Hopping Mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I try not to be too critical of the individuals involved, but I am sick to death of these passive leaders that we have. We just see far too much pragmatism - why aren't we being bold and aggressive around our targets?

It's the wording that kills me like "hope" I'd prefer to hear "Sales are not as expected but we are going to put every effort into the days leading up to the game to sell as many tickets as possible" 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 of us travelling to Liverpool from York on Sunday and just paid for tickets to the Leeds test. Doing our bit. Be proactive people.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...