Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

NZ Test Series - ticket sales

Now on page 42 so probably covered already somewhere. Time Team where are you when we need you.

1. When was the series arranged, and by whom, and when was it scheduled for initially? 

2. As previously mentioned by me at lesst, its almost as if they didn't really want to be bothered with the thing so just chose the minimum effort solution.

3. Then finally tried to make the best of a bad job.

4.Each of the two games I attended went well from an organisational point of view.

5. Dont understand why the Hull game attracted fewer than than its own local derby

6. Yesterday's organisation was great, except no one selling tickets for next week, no club booths, just one sellling England stuff, and a strange booth cutting hair. Must do better if Liverpool is getting  Magic Weekend.

7. If fans in the heartlands can't turn out in numbers at the ticket prices on offer, then take the games somewhere where they will. 

8. Disposable income is a red herring.

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Now on page 42 so probably covered already somewhere. Time Team where are you when we need you.

1. When was the series arranged, and by whom, and when was it scheduled for initially? 

2. As previously mentioned by me at lesst, its almost as if they didn't really want to be bothered with the thing so just chose the minimum effort solution.

4.Each of the two games I attended went well from an organisational point of view.

5. Dont understand why the Hull game attracted fewer than than its own local derby

6. Yesterday's organisation was great, except no one selling tickets for next week, no club booths, just one sellling England stuff, and a strange booth cutting hair. Must do better if Liverpool is getting  Magic Weekend.

7. If fans in the heartlands can't turn out in numbers at the ticket prices on offer, then take the games somewhere where they will. 

Couple of questions John.

It is great that the organisation seemed decent. I have always felt that the RFL do some of the little things very well. 

What was the feeling of the overall 'event? Was there entertainment for a day out? Could you get decent food and drink anywhere? How was the fanzone?

Had the game been terrible, would the overall impression of the event been positive?

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've read your posts for years John, you are more than capable of misery like the rest of us. Stay strong.

John Belushi, " I have seen the light,  I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!" ???????

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Couple of questions John.

It is great that the organisation seemed decent. I have always felt that the RFL do some of the little things very well. 

What was the feeling of the overall 'event? Was there entertainment for a day out? Could you get decent food and drink anywhere? How was the fanzone?

Had the game been terrible, would the overall impression of the event been positive?

I think the organisation piggybacked on standard Liverpool home game arrangements, including fan helpers.

No fanzone worthy of the name.

No entertainment for a day out

Plenty of food and drink, plenty of choice, decent? Fair to middling.

Subjectively, the crowd seemed to behave as on a normal match day.  Nothing like for example, Magic Weekend. 

Community choir pre-match on pitch was good but for some reason they were not featured in the centre of the pitch until National Anthem time.

Immediate prematch -National Anthem etc was good.

Had it been a terrible game, dont think it would have made much difference.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Useful article on disposable income. Maybe this can inform our choice of location for Magic Weekend and internationals.  http://www.cityam.com/234048/what-uk-cities-have-the-highest-disposable-income-edinburgh-cardiff-and-sheffield-beat-london-but-birmingham-comes-last

So, if most of the regular supporters of a sport have less disposable income than in other parts of the country then the way to succeed is to stage events at places that these people cannot afford to get to. Have I got that right?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The population of Northern England is approximately 15 million and that isn't including any area further South than Cheshire. In that area hundreds of thousands attend Football matches on a weekly basis, paying far more than a RL match in doing so. Millions also spend vast amounts on other forms of entertainment whether that is going to the Cinema, shopping, days out etc. To use a lack of disposable income to excuse the recent low attendances is a complete red herring as there is plenty of spending, it is just not on RL events.

• Like 11

I think the crowd looked ok on TV and it sounded like a really good atmosphere.  I'm not sure I'd say the ticket sales were all that bad either.  Can't think of many sporting events outside football that would draw a crowd like that outside of London.  This England team seems to be getting better and better and I think they are increasingly becoming a team people want to watch.  There's starting to be a little bit of a buzz around the national game here and in the southern hemisphere with Tonga's introduction.

• Like 1

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

1,id say wood ran rl then,the same wood who is strongly in favour of international rl and spreading the gospel

2,the whole focus from rimmer over the last few months has ,and will continue to be, on stabilising and rebuilding  the town teams that inhabit the sl,who've spent the last 3 years wallowing in self pity and blaming everybody but themselves.

3,the level of anger thrown at the rfl/sl from fans who were disgusted in the lack of effort in selling the games clearly scared them into behaving like a proper governing body again

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

6. Yesterday's organisation was great, except no one selling tickets for next week, no club booths, just one selling England stuff, and a strange booth cutting hair. 

I think you mean the one with the large Rugby League Cares posters and handing out leaflets for mental health and displaying the World Cup and the trophy that was being played for that day?

Edited by RS

@englandrl on Twitter just tweeted over 25,000 sold for Sunday with 1,000 sold this morning already. If we can do 1,000 every day we’ll be over the 30,000 mark. I’d put all the upper tier East stand tickets at £10 adults, £5 concessions. 

England RL on Facebook saying over 25000 tickets sold for Elland Road with 1000 sold this morning but still they haven't opened the upper tier of the east stand

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Come again?? 

Sorry - It was a quote from a post at the top of this page 

Edited by RS

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

England RL on Facebook saying over 25000 tickets sold for Elland Road with 1000 sold this morning but still they haven't opened the upper tier of the east stand

I *think* the lower tier in total holds  30-31k, so they have another 5-6k to shift to fill the lower.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I *think* the lower tier in total holds  30-31k, so they have another 5-6k to shift to fill the lower.

Because I have nothing better to do today I thought I'd check.

Hovering the cursor over each bay tells you how many are available, this comes to just over 4000, but for some reason B4 (top price tickets) cannot be clicked on and L38 (East stand upper tier) while being greyed out shows 24 available. Bee nice to see it get above to 30000 mark

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The problem now is there are very few blocks of seats available and loads of single seats will this put people off? Im unsure whether the practicality and cost of opening the top tier would be worth it now but it could be a good marketing opportunity if they did release extra seats this week

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Just open the bloody thing. Then the guy who sits studiously releasing one ticket at a time can be sent outside to promote the game and do something productive with his time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just got my tickets for Elland Rd. That means that for every one of these games mine have arrived in good time.

I hope that everyone else is as fortunate. (I did, however, order all of these a couple of months ago.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

54 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The problem now is there are very few blocks of seats available and loads of single seats will this put people off? Im unsure whether the practicality and cost of opening the top tier would be worth it now but it could be a good marketing opportunity if they did release extra seats this week

There are huge empty sections at the moment 

3 hours ago, RS said:

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

6. Yesterday's organisation was great, except no one selling tickets for next week, no club booths, just one selling England stuff, and a strange booth cutting hair. 

I think you mean the one with the large Rugby League Cares posters and handing out leaflets for mental health and displaying the World Cup and the trophy that was being played for that day?

Whilst obviously it was RLC From ground level, it was not clear what they were after. There was a poster advertising barber lessons . There were people having their hair cut, there were lots of people milling around looking. Thats about it.

56 minutes ago, parklandswolf said:

Some blocks of the top tier now open in the East Stand but still greyed out

Yes got it at just under 3500 tickets available including just over 600 they've made available in the East Stand upper tier, if that's accurate then the gate will be over 30000 and pushing 35000

Edited by Cumbrian Fanatic

100% League 0% Union

Tell you what, all these other so called sports don't have the fun of seat counting do they? They just put tickets on sale and its a given they will sell out. They will never know the utter feeling of ecstacy when a new block is put on sale or the undying pleasure when a block gets that beautiful, jet black colour of the sold out block, the elegance of a block of maroon dots with just a handful of single, lime seats left after a slow morning when it looked like said block would be empty, would be an embarrassment, a travesty on the TV but all that feeling of shame taken away when someone at the RFL decides to update the seating chart a few weeks late and actually change the colour of the sold out seats. Rugby league really is the greatest game..! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1