Featherstone Rovers scoop up PNG talent

Featherstone Rovers were not content to sign the talented PNG brother halves Ase and Watson Boas from the SP PNG Hunters.. Now they have signed talented 29 year old centre Thompson Teteh as well.  Featherstone thereby replaces Sheffield Eagles as the main England home of PNG talent.

These three players are all quality. My question is why haven't Super League clubs, especially the weaker ones, beaten Featherstone to the catch? After all, it is not as if there is an abundance of talented British halves and centres available in Super League.

10 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Featherstone Rovers were not content to sign the talented PNG brother halves Ase and Watson Boas from the SP PNG Hunters.. Now they have signed talented 29 year old centre Thompson Teteh as well.  Featherstone thereby replaces Sheffield Eagles as the main England home of PNG talent.

These three players are all quality. My question is why haven't Super League clubs, especially the weaker ones, beaten Featherstone to the catch? After all, it is not as if there is an abundance of talented British halves and centres available in Super League.

Most, if not all will be up to SC.. I await Wakey to say different. All spots sold in SL.

53 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Are they quality? Says who?

I’ve seen the Boas brothers play countless times, they’re very good players - smart, energetic and good organisers. Watson is the better in  my opinion and Ase has started to go down hill in the last season or so but still a decent player.

All depends how they adapt

5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Have you been asleep? Teteh was announced almost a month ago.

Smart move by Featherstone.

I assume they are going to acquire (or maybe have already) a property in the area which they will rent for them? That immediately helps with the acclimatisation process. In that regard, signing three is a whole lot better than signing one.

And I doubt they'll be on a load of money either. The standard of living in PNG is quite low, and even a modest wage will seem like a fortune to them. So Fev have grabbed three decent standard players for possibly what another club might have paid for two, - or even one if we are talking about Leigh in 2018 ? 

10 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Weren't these signings announced a while back? On the LU forum someone has suggested they moved to Fev for lifestyle reasons :biggrin:

Believe that was me. I've admittedly never been to Port Moresby or Featherstone but using my imagination..

Surprised more lower Super League & ambitious Championship clubs don't go after PNG talent. QLD Cup would probably be a better standard than Championship and not far off 9-12 in Super League.

8 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Believe that was me. I've admittedly never been to Port Moresby or Featherstone but using my imagination..

Surprised more lower Super League & ambitious Championship clubs don't go after PNG talent. QLD Cup would probably be a better standard than Championship and not far off 9-12 in Super League.

thats what happened to football , where will the UK young talent find a team . or why bother playing if theres no room at the inn ?

21 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

thats what happened to football , where will the UK young talent find a team . or why bother playing if theres no room at the inn ?

What?

Several clubs (including Fev) haven't been able to field a full team at times this year but you're suggesting UK talent won't be able to find a team because of a few PNG imports?

If players are good enough they'll make it, ignoring any overseas players is only going to weaken the standard of the competition(s).

2 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

What?

Several clubs (including Fev) haven't been able to field a full team at times this year but you're suggesting UK talent won't be able to find a team because of a few PNG imports?

If players are good enough they'll make it, ignoring any overseas players is only going to weaken the standard of the competition(s).

the influx of over seas "average players " has been going on for a long time , it is just the "few png imports "

9 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Surely heartland clubs like Fev shouldn't have to rely on imports, after all said and done they have had over 100 years to get it sorted.

A few exciting imports are good though? Kids may be more open to going to games to see the difference in how the PNG and Anzac lads play. 

I mean 3-5 in a heartland side not too many but enough to add something. 

Obviously Widnes did sign up 3 PNG internationals last year with sadly mixed results.

The Albert brothers, who came over, were to say the least disappointing. Stanton was it appears deemed virtually not viable to play and Wellington although showing some potential was as green as grass. It even appeared he had to be shown where to stand in the defensive line on occasions, and although very enthusiastic his tacking technique was , shall we say, needing improvement.

Big strong boys but work in progress, Welly is here again this year so let's see if a years coaching has improved him.

From experience be careful not to overestimate these imported PNG players  just yet.

19 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

the influx of over seas "average players " has been going on for a long time , it is just the "few png imports "

But where are all these UK lads who can't find a team? Not everyone is good enough for the pro leagues. Taking some of the better players away (imports) and replacing them with English players who aren't really up to it will just see the overall standard slide, which is detrimental to the development of English players who deserve to be there.

Overpaid and underperforming imports can be a bit of a problem but I don't think PNG imports fit in to either category.

21 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Smart move by Featherstone.

I assume they are going to acquire (or maybe have already) a property in the area which they will rent for them? That immediately helps with the acclimatisation process. In that regard, signing three is a whole lot better than signing one.

And I doubt they'll be on a load of money either. The standard of living in PNG is quite low, and even a modest wage will seem like a fortune to them. So Fev have grabbed three decent standard players for possibly what another club might have paid for two, - or even one if we are talking about Leigh in 2018 ? 

The chairman has quite a lot of property. They'll all be together in one of his HMOs, so they'll not lack company.

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

But where are all these UK lads who can't find a team? Not everyone is good enough for the pro leagues. Taking some of the better players away (imports) and replacing them with English players who aren't really up to it will just see the overall standard slide, which is detrimental to the development of English players who deserve to be there.

Overpaid and underperforming imports can be a bit of a problem but I don't think PNG imports fit in to either category.

U21'S have gone , reserve teams have almost all but gone , U19's academies are fewer , imo clubs find it far easier and much cheaper to bring an overseas player or 2 over to bolster a squad than develop younger players through the above mentioned systems which cost a lot of money and time and staff to produce 1 or 2 fist team players . Where do all the young players go since most of these reserve and academy teams have gone ? How can they develop the professional skill ?

That is just my view on it of course and you are entitled to yours .

2 hours ago, jim_57 said:

What?

I don't think teams not being able to field a team has been anything to do with a lack of UK talent.

Archived