NRL.com: Push for Kangaroos tour England 2019 at RLIF meeting?

Abicus

Would you rather:  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather:

• Great Britain tour of the Pacific/NZ in 2019
    • Ashes Series in England in 2019

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

The thing I am interested in from an RFL point of view is what is the plan to get England RL to be the world's number 1 team. 

If we win this weekend we should take 2nd - how are we going to knock the Aussies off number 1.

By getting them over here ASAP. We should be able to entice them with money and full stadiums and I don’t mean piddling 25,000 seater ones. Imagine IF we got the job done and they then have to wait for the chance to play us again. Either that or we’ll get put in our place. Either way, bring it on.

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

The thing I am interested in from an RFL point of view is what is the plan to get England RL to be the world's number 1 team. 

If we win this weekend we should take 2nd - how are we going to knock the Aussies off number 1.

By playing as Great Britain ?

48 minutes ago, Scubby said:

By playing as Great Britain ?

This is the thing that needs to be called out time and time again. I am not as against the GB thing as some others, but because we have only 1 window, it means that England RL may not play a game all year. Could you imagine any other major sport doing something as stupid as that?

England are hosting the 2021 WC. England are probably going to take 2nd spot in the rankings after a great series against the Kiwis. England narrowly lost the last WC Final in Oz.

2 years to go and England RL won't even play a game.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

By getting them over here ASAP. We should be able to entice them with money and full stadiums and I don’t mean piddling 25,000 seater ones. Imagine IF we got the job done and they then have to wait for the chance to play us again. Either that or we’ll get put in our place. Either way, bring it on.

On the back of this series, based on the feel good, imagine putting tickets on sale for an England v Oz Ashes Series for 2019, next week.

My personal preference is for 8 team comps, or at least 4, but I'd take the above at the moment!

Surely off the feel good factor from just this weekend we should be confident of 50k in London, 40k in Manchester and 40k in Yorkshire/Newcastle?

For the first time in ages there would be genuine optimism, and not just misguided hope. There is a swagger about this team that we haven't seen for years. We could even smash those numbers I highlighted.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is the thing that needs to be called out time and time again. I am not as against the GB thing as some others, but because we have only 1 window, it means that England RL may not play a game all year. Could you imagine any other major sport doing something as stupid as that?

England are hosting the 2021 WC. England are probably going to take 2nd spot in the rankings after a great series against the Kiwis. England narrowly lost the last WC Final in Oz.

2 years to go and England RL won't even play a game.

This point needs to be hammered into the RFL. England, as 'brand England' has never had so much potential to become the number one ranked nation and capture some of the national mindshare. 

8 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

With Nigel Wood being the CEO this is the likely outcome although the NRL Peter Beattie is very pro internationals. I just have little faith due to that parasite Wood. 

Beattie is just as bad! A bloody ex politician who was always all style, zero substance. He’s not pro internationals; he’s got no frickin idea about sports administration or RL administration. He makes John Grant look good!!!

As an Aussie I think England would have beaten Australia if they had played them this year. If Australia want to tour England and play a 3 game series England would be crazy not to take it. The best chance for them to beat Australia is now while there in transition 

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Not gonna happen, the Aussies are scared of getting beat

Just bare this in mind for a second...If you believe what's coming out of the mouths of some of the Aussie press,administrators and posters on messageboards say...then next year Australia want to play...

Nz & Tonga in the pacific beaker..(Cup)

And England 3 times andWales,Scotland,Ireland & France..

think about that.......

That's 9 games lol...and how likely it is...and if you believe it....then I have some magic beans to sell you too..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

2019 - England ashes tour to Australia,3 ashes tests and 3 midweek games..

2020 - 125th Birthday of RL,Australia ashes tour to UK,3 ashes tests and 3 mid week tests v Wales,Scotland & Ireland..

Simple

But that's not what's been proposed at all. It'd be a GB tour, not England. How can GB play us for the Ashes one year, and England the next? What a mess! And besides, the GB tour has always been proposed as a Pacific tour - not an Australia Ashes tour. It's an anomaly because they're essentially a new invented country, as far as current rankings go, and they'd be playing for nothing. Aside from giving a few Welsh guys the chance to go on a bigger tour, what's the point?

I actually wonder if there's a way to achieve both next year. Here's how:

A full strength England hosts Australia in an Ashes series. Australia also play France.

A GB squad, made up of the best Welsh, Irish and Scottish players (not Aussie heritage players though), and the best of the rest from England. They tour the Pacific, playing genuine contests against PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and NZ to fill in the off weeks for those teams in their 5 nation Pacific Cup. This would mostly be played in NZ, though PNG and Fiji could also host games.

Then in 2020, host a 4 Nations to celebrate this 125 year milestone. Any of Tonga, NZ, Samoa would be great additions if Australia didn't want to come.

14 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

But that's not what's been proposed at all. It'd be a GB tour, not England. How can GB play us for the Ashes one year, and England the next?

We could play as Great Britain and Ireland again in 2020, and then switch back to England for the World Cup in 2021. We'll wear false moustaches and put on wigs, so that you won't know it's really us again, just in a different shirt.

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

Just bare this in mind for a second...If you believe what's coming out of the mouths of some of the Aussie press,administrators and posters on messageboards say...then next year Australia want to play...

Nz & Tonga in the pacific beaker..(Cup)

And England 3 times andWales,Scotland,Ireland & France..

think about that.......

That's 9 games lol...and how likely it is...and if you believe it....then I have some magic beans to sell you too..

I would interpret that as them putting forward two different options for consideration, in order to show willing and so that they can't be accused of not caring about the international game (which is a common accusation made against them).

I'm sure that they don't expect to have to do both, and indeed wouldn't do both. I'm also certain that if England showed a willingness to host them for an Ashes series in 2019, that they would choose that as their preferred option, especially considering that they haven't played us this year, but have played New Zealand and Tonga.

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

2019 - England ashes tour to Australia,3 ashes tests and 3 midweek games..

2020 - 125th Birthday of RL,Australia ashes tour to UK,3 ashes tests and 3 mid week tests v Wales,Scotland & Ireland..

Simple

That would work, but do the Aussies want to host us in 2019? They don't seem very keen to play even one game against the Great Britain and Ireland Lions next year, so would they want to host a three match Ashes series? If they want to host us and their fans are going to turn out and watch - because we don't want half empty stadiums - then I'd be happy to go with your proposal.

However, if they aren't interested in hosting us, then surely the perfect scenario would be for us to play and beat them at home, and then to go to Australia the following year, because then it's much more likely that the Australian fans will want to turn out to see them try and win back the Ashes. I know that beating them at home will be incredibly difficult and I'm in no way assuming that we can or will do it - I'm just saying that IF we could somehow do it, that would be the best possible scenario for shaking up the Aussie fans and hopefully getting them into the stadiums to watch Australia try and win back the Ashes.

Personally, I don't really care about the 125th birthday of RL - at least not in terms of thinking that it's essential we play a home Ashes series in that year. Obviously it's a good landmark for the sport, but I don't regard it as a particularly significant anniversary. Even when it was the 100th anniversary back in 1995, I can't pretend that I cared at all about the significance of the dates - I just wanted to watch the World Cup. If you asked me when the 100th or 125th anniversary of rugby union, football, cricket or any other sport was, I'd have no idea about any of them.

I want to see some international rugby league matches in England EVERY year, even if it's a year that we're mostly touring. We should still be playing some home matches, whether it's an significant anniversary year or not.

What an absolute shiite shambles the international game is.

It reminds of when I was at school when one of the lads from our 'gang' would organise a game of football/rugby/cricket with a lad from another 'gang' for the weekend.  Whilst at the same time another lad from our gang would also agree a game with another 'gang' of lads on the same day and same time.

Then on the Friday at school we would somehow thrash out what was going to happen so the games went ahead.  

Great negotiating skills were learnt so why don't the powers that be follow the same formula ........ oh I forgot that they already do!!!!!

All this talk about the Hearns. I can't help but feel that this is the closest thing to their world. Deal-making, sorting ou5 events, financial guarantees, media and sponsorship deals, giving fans and viewers what they want.

Can they do any worse than the current rabble?

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

All this talk about the Hearns. I can't help but feel that this is the closest thing to their world. Deal-making, sorting ou5 events, financial guarantees, media and sponsorship deals, giving fans and viewers what they want.

Can they do any worse than the current rabble?

An interesting point. I don't know much about the Hearns, but I imagine they would be surprised when, on their first days at RLHQ, they found out that nobody owns a phone or VC facilities so they can only discuss fixtures one day per year when everyone is in town.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

An interesting point. I don't know much about the Hearns, but I imagine they would be surprised when, on their first days at RLHQ, they found out that nobody owns a phone or VC facilities so they can only discuss fixtures one day per year when everyone is in town.

Yeah but York’s a nice place.

rldfsignature.jpg

6 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

The Aussie's don't want to host either GB or ENGLAND..that's how all this mess has come about

Absolutely. While we can all make this about bravado "they're scared of playing us etc.", I think they're most scared that no one in Oz will come watch. They couldn't sell 50k in Brisbane for a home WC final with legends retiring. They played NZ and Tonga in NZ. 

The Socceroos are as big a draw as the Kangaroos in Australia. A truly sorry state of affairs.

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. While we can all make this about bravado "they're scared of playing us etc.", I think they're most scared that no one in Oz will come watch. They couldn't sell 50k in Brisbane for a home WC final with legends retiring. They played NZ and Tonga in NZ. 

The Socceroos are as big a draw as the Kangaroos in Australia. A truly sorry state of affairs.

It does appear The Roos are a bigger draw here than down under. Sadly it's Origin that is far ahead of the Anglo rivalry.... As such we should be getting them over here most years for 2-3 series tests. 2 series tests are good as there is not possibility of a dead rubber. 

The Hearns could do decent things with the Roos, England, NZ And France. Get them in to try. 

Archived