BBC Sports site - Rugby League.

cookey

Just looked at the rl page on BBC Sport,where there is a preview of the NZ game but with only 4 comments.A preview on cricket or ru would generate hundreds of comments.If we want to be taken seriously as a sport we do need to show our interest via the BBC RL pages .Please go have a look and if possible post a brief comment - hopefully positive and intelligent!

7 minutes ago, cookey said:

Just looked at the rl page on BBC Sport,where there is a preview of the NZ game but with only 4 comments.A preview on cricket or ru would generate hundreds of comments.If we want to be taken seriously as a sport we do need to show our interest via the BBC RL pages .Please go have a look and if possible post a brief comment - hopefully positive and intelligent!

This is quite common on the BBC league page.   Sometimes there are more comments from union trolls than league fans!

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Lot of RL fans don't post anymore as it just ends up with a load of Trolls slagging off our game.

After the World Cup Final last year there were about 350 comments and about 200 were just slaying RL even though we came so close to winning the RL WC.

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Lot of RL fans don't post anymore as it just ends up with a load of Trolls slagging off our game.

After the World Cup Final last year there were about 350 comments and about 200 were just slaying RL even though we came so close to winning the RL WC.

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Anybody who looks at BBC rugby league HYS pages regularly will be familiar with the stalwart trolls - the likes of Juggernaut, Kerry and Trytastic. All very tedious.

I always try to add a positive comment on an England thread.

Ironically, the BBC (as would any other organisation) will be measuring the popularity of their pages through counts of hits and comments.  It makes me smile that the negative comments will be adding to these numbers.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Anybody who looks at BBC rugby league HYS pages regularly will be familiar with the stalwart trolls - the likes of Juggernaut, Kerry and Trytastic. All very tedious.

Kerry on the BBC site is D Collins who used to frequent this site (he had a few other names as well).  He uses the phrase 'play the ball routine' that D Collins was obsessed with.

I am disappointed with myself for knowing that though.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Sadly true.

Plus a lot of RL fans wouldn't think of the BBC website as their primary source of up-to-date articles and useful information about their sport.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Sadly true.

Plus a lot of RL fans wouldn't think of the BBC website as their primary source of up-to-date articles and useful information about their sport.

For some reason, the BBC didn't put to air a Second Test HYS until six hours after the final hooter at Anfield. The national broadcaster can't help itself, I'm afraid. Plenty of 'previous'. Old habits die hard.

I post occasionally on those things but in the end I just read it for the entertaining idiocy from the trolls. It doesn't help when it takes the BBC hours after a game for them to open the comments section. I think it was 6 hours after the England game at anfield and most of the early comments were trolls sagging league off cos there were hardly any comments on there at that point. 

Also I believe that kerry character can be seen on the guardian comments sections. 

I’ve said this a few times: RL fans need to engage more with ‘official’ digital platforms like twitter and web sites like BBCs. When BBC Sport or Sky or EnglandRL for that matter tweet, for example, loads of people need to ‘like’ etc.,  There are enough of us. Lack of engagement by fans reinforces the idea we’re a minority sport. We need to do better. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Kerry on the BBC site is D Collins who used to frequent this site (he had a few other names as well).  He uses the phrase 'play the ball routine' that D Collins was obsessed with.

Tell him you think the Jack Charlton ROI team was a bunch of fakes: the comments count will be in the 000s by midnight.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Tell him you think the Jack Charlton ROI team was a bunch of fakes: the comments count will be in the 000s by midnight

Yep he (Kerry) went mental when someone pointed out Paul McGraph was in fact English.

Even after last week's game they were all slaying RL, just shows these HYS arnt worth the bother. Stick to this site.

32 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

BBC Sport has gone massive downhill over the last few years. I believe they stopped using their own journalists and a lot of match articles for Football were outsourced and as a result, the quality of the articles deteriorated. 

Outsourced to the Press Association. Any journalist will tell you how clueless they are.

I post regularly on the BBC. It tends to be my first port of call for a general sports overview. Beyond that, football aside, its shocking.

I swear, news is posted on this site a good week or so prior to it making the BBC site.

Also with the RL HYS articles, whilst I'm not into posting for likes, when trolls and inane comments get more thumbs up that intelligent posts it tells me everything I need to know. There's little intelligent debate, just one off nonsense a lot of the time.

Im all for making our presence felt on the wider reaching places, but as a RL fan I get more from reading and occasional posting here than the BBC

4 hours ago, cookey said:

Been a few too many comments page recently on bbc site. Agree though people need to post comments -the rah rahs love winding us re low responses

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Excellent intel - when D Collins get banned from here ?

juggernaut a big menace too

I always try and comment positively on the HYS, but there are the usual trolls who try and de-rail the topics.

In terms of the number of comments, it doesn’t help when an article isn’t opened up to comments as soon as it’s posted (often opened the next day). Also, some of the articles that are opened to HYS aren’t really massive talking points.

58 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Or better still ask him why three born and raised Kiwis are in the England RU squad to play the ABs.

Or why the Japs had a Kiwi captain and a number of other Kiwis and Islanders in their recent game against the All Blacks.

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Ah our old pal D Collins. I'm disappointed he didn't carry over his usual naming convention and call himself S Kerry or something like all of his alts here.

He's a real trooper for persisting with Rugby League despite the stop start nature of the play the ball.

Archived