Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cumbrian Fanatic

Tony Adams to become RFL President

http://www.totalrl.com/former-england-footballer-tony-adams-to-become-new-rfl-president/

Never saw that coming.

It doesn't seem that long ago Andy Burnham was given the position, I suppose being the Mayor of Manchester he has plenty of other things on his plate. Be interesting to see how this goes

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

I don’t know what the president does but Tony Adams has done a lot , come through a lot and is very well respected now and interviews really well 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know what the president does but Tony Adams has done a lot , come through a lot and is very well respected now and interviews really well 

I believe they are mainly a figurehead for the sport but I'm happy to be corrected. We could do, and probably have, a lot worse than Tony Adams, I knew his Sporting Chance Clinic had helped Rugby League players but was unaware it was as may as 400. A very good appointment for the game in my humble opinion

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I believe they are mainly a figurehead for the sport but I'm happy to be corrected. We could do, and probably have, a lot worse than Tony Adams, I knew his Sporting Chance Clinic had helped Rugby League players but was unaware it was as may as 400. A very good appointment for the game in my humble opinion

I agree . He’s done outstandingly well from dark times 

• Like 1

I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st. I believe the role is largely ceremonial and he had done a great deal to support RL players over the years. No fuss from me on this. 

England football legend. Euro 96 captain. Londoner. Like others have said, he has been through a lot and achieved a lot. I like him, and I think it's a good appointment for the sport. I wish him every success and hope that he can make a good contribution to the sport, in whatever capacity he is needed/used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, parklandswolf said:

Not gone down well on fb but Ive no issues with it. He is a household name and already made the 5 live news bulletin.

I heard Hawksbee and Jacobs talking about it too on Talksport earlier. I think having a famous footballer linked with rugby league is rarely going to be a bad thing. It's all extra publicity.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I heard Hawksbee and Jacobs talking about it too on Talksport earlier. I think having a famous footballer linked with rugby league is rarely going to be a bad thing. It's all extra publicity.

He can team up with Stuart Pearce at the Wire

4 minutes ago, parklandswolf said:

He can team up with Stuart Pearce at the Wire

Nice idea, but according to Wikipedia, his real surname is actually "Bradford", so maybe he'd be better placed at Odsal.

Edited by 17 stone giant
Jimmy Nail, that is. Just to clarify.

A very well known and well respected leader both on and off the sporting field.  I didn't realise that many league people had received support from Sporting Chance so is clearly familiar.  Certainly brings a recognisable credibility to the role and was a very nice surprise to read about today.  Best of luck to him.

• Like 1

Isn't the RFL President just a ceremonial position anyway? It makes sense to have as high a profile person as possible and his work is a good, positive fit.

• Like 2

No idea what the role encompasses in all honesty but he’s been a sportsman and a coach in another sport so far will have an insight into what those roles are like and what challenges they face, even in a different sport. 

He’s also a very well recognised sporting figure in this country and has an interesting past. 

• Like 2

Okay, hands up who clicked on that link, expecting the first words to be "not that Tony Adams, obviously - some Kiwi/Aussie with the same name". Me for one!

But he's a high-profile name whose work with mental health in sport has undoubtedly saved lives, in RL and beyond.

• Like 5

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One of the few footballers who was probably tough enough to play our game.

And, once he'd stopped playing, popular.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

7 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

http://www.totalrl.com/former-england-footballer-tony-adams-to-become-new-rfl-president/

Never saw that coming.

It doesn't seem that long ago Andy Burnham was given the position, I suppose being the Mayor of Manchester he has plenty of other things on his plate. Be interesting to see how this goes

Wishing Tony Adams all the best and i don't think we have heard the last from Andy Burnham as regards Rugby League.