Fans standing behind posts

What is interesting is that for a cc final or gf, the die hards will still mostly buy the tickets behind the posts, certainly I  my experience of finals anyway. These sections always sell out first. One reason is because the atmosphere will be better there, but that's because that's where the die hards are, but that doesn't answer the question as to why though. Also somebody has mentioned it is cheaper, I think that's prob true, although after watching your team all year and spending a small fortune, why do people prefer to sit there just to save say 10 or 20 quid. Surely you would want the best seats in the house to see your own team win a final. So to answer your question, I don't know.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I wouldn’t be 100% certain but I’m not convinced that’s David Stephenson. 

image.png.4e354b66985576e65c47fc4221a1bd65.pngimage.png.63136ea76a83f935a070ed79b6b2edb9.png

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

My preference has always been half way as generally see more and in the old days at Saints the dug outs were on the popular side so could have some banter with the players and coaches and at the end leg on for some autographs

Never really liked watching end on but as said above you do get a better appreciation of the way moves develop and lines run etc. 

Whenever I have been behind the sticks the action has always seemed to be at the other end 

Whatever rocks your boat really. These days with the big screen you see it all again anyway

The simple answer..: from my perspective... is that’s where you can see the game unfold... you see the coaching and the talent of the players coming to the fore ... where gaps appear... how the teams are positioned both in attack and defence... rugby league is a game of lateral chess.. moving the pieces around to create advantage... you can’t see that from the side...

if You go fir the atmosphere to sing and chant... be tribal and such... watch from the side.

if you want to understand how the game is played then watch from the end.. and as high as possible! 

10 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Random question, but why are the diehard fan areas of many Rugby clubs in the UK situated behind the posts, rather than along the sidelines? I understand why they do it in football, but for Rugby the view from behind the posts isn’t great. 

I understand it can be related to the stadium designs, but surely having the main home fans area along the side like the South Stand at Leeds would make more sense for viewing our sport.

Haven't a clue mate. They do the same at my club. I'm normally positioned as close to the halfway line as possible,better view.

7 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

The Wigan player inside Dennis Ramsdale is, I think, John Butler (seasons 1978-79 to 1980-81) who was signed from Salford. 

That is a good call, Butler played centre to Denis

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

That is a good call, Butler played centre to Denis

I will ask Denis

Off topic but what a great photo Padge.  Very few of the modern breed of photographers seem to take "panoramic" or wide shots which show a number of players.  Most modern photos are close ups which don't give a feel for what has happened or is about to happen.  This picture tells a story and I can picture what may have happened to that point and what may happen as play goes on.  I can't do that with most modern pics.

BarrowRaiders-keithnutter-1.png

10 hours ago, Wollongong said:

The simple answer..: from my perspective... is that’s where you can see the game unfold... you see the coaching and the talent of the players coming to the fore ... where gaps appear... how the teams are positioned both in attack and defence... rugby league is a game of lateral chess.. moving the pieces around to create advantage... you can’t see that from the side...

if You go fir the atmosphere to sing and chant... be tribal and such... watch from the side.

if you want to understand how the game is played then watch from the end.. and as high as possible! 

Exactly Wollongong, I was going to answer along those very same lines as yourself, if you want to observe the tactics, the lines that the offense employs, the dummy runners taking the opposition the wrong direction, overloading the attack either left or right the run arounds, the drop offs, the pizz offs (should be double 'ss') etc and all the intricacies of the defensive patterns which I could list, then stand behind the sticks, as you say as high as possible.

Nothing wrong with being on the sideline, but I find it to be a much more passive view of the game, you can't observe to the same degree the strategies of the coach, how they are employed and excecuted by both the individuals and the team collectively.

I do rely on the claim/call to the referee a forward pass though from the 'sideliners' on those not to obvious ones.

Agree with Wollongong and Harry. I am happy to mix it up, but from behind the sticks I definitely get a better feel for the shape of the defence or attack, and can see the gaps or deficiencies better.

The side is better if you want to shout 'forwaaaaaard' or 'gerremonside' with a greater level of conviction.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

17 hours ago, Wollongong said:

Agree with most of this apart from your paragraph about singing and chanting. That is absolutely the ends in British grounds.

I also think one of the things with this is that the ends in more modern grounds that have separate stands are cheaper at the ends, meaning you will often get younger crowds of people. Of the sides you have the more expensive seats and the hospitality sections. Obviously this differs b6 stadium design.

Certainly the history nerd coming out in me but I didn’t realise how many grounds had a Spion Kop.  It was obviously important at the turn of the century but I wonder how many now know the connections to the Boer War?  I suppose the following wars relegated it to the back pages of our history.  I’ll get me anorak ??

22 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

The Wigan player inside Dennis Ramsdale is, I think, John Butler (seasons 1978-79 to 1980-81) who was signed from Salford. 

And where did John Butler begin his professional career late sixties, Keighley, now if I could just name the Keighley player on the floor , got it, Lee Greenwood.???

34 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

.....but can you name the man in the black overcoat? ??

Sid Bonkers

4 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Certainly the history nerd coming out in me but I didn’t realise how many grounds had a Spion Kop.  It was obviously important at the turn of the century but I wonder how many now know the connections to the Boer War?  I suppose the following wars relegated it to the back pages of our history.  I’ll get me anorak ??

The Wigan Spion Kop had anti aircraft machine guns on it during WWII.

Sorry but more nerdishness.

26 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Harold Box-Brownie C46C8378-3C21-41C4-AF17-630471FB5E32.jpeg.ce42fddb08ae73154c5b3baa24b38f61.jpeg

It was actually a Pentax ME Super Image result for pentax me super

On 12/16/2018 at 10:01 AM, deluded pom? said:

Hull’s ‘diehard’* fans used to gather in the Threepenny stand at the Boulevard which ran the length of the pitch. Hull KR’s ‘diehard’* fans congregate in the east stand at New Caravan Park. I suppose the obvious answer is that most side stands now are seated and that’s obviously more expensive than standing.

* you don’t have to stand with the majority to be a diehard.

North stand is cheapest stand aside from the toys r us corner which is away from most of the majority fans, I wonder if that had anything to do with why behind the posts that end was the supposed 'diehards' post Boulevard?

TBH though i think East stand is the new diehard supporters, North is no more vocal, a fair few of the noisy lot are in East as well and when crowds are down North is more sparsley populated than East, particularly for CC game. I make the effort to come up for home CC matches knowing many local supporters don't and it's noticeable to me North stand loses more as a %.

I think the cop/die hards at Hull City were in the Kempston/East stand next the train halt that ran along the sides of the pitch IIRC.

Archived