Obituary Thread

25 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Candy Davis - Are u being served MND

I never made the connection between her and her pen name as the crime writer Mo Hayder 'til now.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

7 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Candy Davis - Are u being served MND

the ultimate dream girl for every teenage boy of that era - damn that awful disease!

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

The 8th of the 12 people referenced in Half Man Half Biscuit's God gave us Life to pass away.

• Sad 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I watched her on Wurzel Gummidge and Alf Garnett , there’s a contrast

I thought of her in Give Us A Clue, Sherlock and Summer Holiday.

All in all quite a wide ranging career

Very sad news about Nanci Griffith.

I love watching and listening to famous people on programmes like "Desert Island Discs" and hearing why they chose a particular song and what it means to them. Jim Bowen was on one of these types of programmes and he chose "From a distance" by Nanci.

He said that many people have covered this song but Nanci Griffith made love to it.

A lovely tribute.

• Like 1

Sky Sports Jenna Brooks to Jake Connor regarding England selection : "Shaun Wane has said that he's spoken to you about why you were left out, he's also said he's told you what you needed to do more of, I'm interested, what do you need to do more of and did you do it tonight?"

Jake Connor : "I don't know, to be honest I haven't spoken to him."

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Der Bomber 

Log-legs, long before Kieron Cunningham. For a short guy, he outjumped a lot of tall defenders.

Comedian Sean Lock, aged 58.

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, M j M said:

Austin Mitchell. Academic, MP, journalist, TV host.

As an addition, having this in your catalogue of achievements as an interviewer would be enough for almost anyone.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2021 at 15:43, M j M said:

Austin Mitchell. Academic, MP, journalist, TV host.

That is sad. I met him back in about 1975 when he gave the after-dinner speech at Langwith College on the occasion of the University of York's 10th anniversary. A charming man and an entertaining speaker.

RIP, Austin.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

18 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

That is sad. I met him back in about 1975 when he gave the after-dinner speech at Langwith College on the occasion of the University of York's 10th anniversary. A charming man and an entertaining speaker.

RIP, Austin.

Absolutely. Thoroughly nice bloke

• Like 1