Jump to content

Obituary Thread


Recommended Posts


5 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Eddie Butler Welsh Rugby Union captain and BBC commentator aged 65.

May he rest in peace

He always came over as very knowledgeable and fair.

I always enjoyed listening to his commentary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of things about Eddie Butler's commentary was that he always projected his whole-hearted enjoyment. Even if his attempts at poetic flourishes were a bit McGonagall-esque.

When Bradford went to the Middlesex RU Sevens and strolled to the trophy, he was amused by the absurdity of a knackered and beaten RL team turning up and winning a cup in the rival code, but appreciated what he was seeing too. His co-commentator that day (Jeremy Guscott) had a lot more trouble accepting the evidence of his eyes.

  • Like 4

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Niels said:

He always came over as very knowledgeable and fair.

I always enjoyed listening to his commentary.

I always enjoyed his words when he was describing highlights on the NFL show on BBC.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Niels said:

He always came over as very knowledgeable and fair.

I always enjoyed listening to his commentary.

Wasn't he a League fan as always remember him on Tv taking the Fijian Rugby League team out for a bottle of Brown Ale in Newcastle in 1995 when the Rugby League World Cup was on or was I dreaming ?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Wasn't he a League fan as always remember him on Tv taking the Fijian Rugby League team out for a bottle of Brown Ale in Newcastle in 1995 when the Rugby League World Cup was on or was I dreaming ?

I think you are probably correct, he was good friends with Jonathan Davies.

I didn't realise he had died whilst on a charity trek in Peru.

It's very sad. Despite being Welsh he was never biased to them. For me, he was a commentator who made a game interesting even when it was poor, by his insightful comments. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think you are probably correct, he was good friends with Jonathan Davies.

I didn't realise he had died whilst on a charity trek in Peru.

It's very sad. Despite being Welsh he was never biased to them. For me, he was a commentator who made a game interesting even when it was poor, by his insightful comments. 

Didn't Guscott go from being a bricklayer to working as a consultant to a big energy firm as soon as he got his first English cap?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Niels said:

I think you are probably correct, he was good friends with Jonathan Davies.

I didn't realise he had died whilst on a charity trek in Peru.

It's very sad. Despite being Welsh he was never biased to them. For me, he was a commentator who made a game interesting even when it was poor, by his insightful comments. 

Well said.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/09/2022 at 12:13, The Future is League said:

Didn't Guscott go from being a bricklayer to working as a consultant to a big energy firm as soon as he got his first English cap?

"That lad will never lay another brick in his life" is a quote I seem to remember from his autobiography, uttered by someone at the RFU.

I stress that I obviously haven't read it but I remember Nick Hancock taking the p* ss out of it on an episode of "They think it's all over".

  • Like 1

"For you, there'll be no more crying, for you the sun will be shining, and I feel that when I'm with you, it's alright, I know it's right"

                                                                                 Christine McVie 1976

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

That lad will never lay another brick in his life" is a quote I seem to remember from his autobiography,

And he never did … he even opted out of playing Wigan to make sure he didn’t 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dame Hilary Mantel, author, aged 70

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63007307

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently the follow up to the BBC series Wolf Hall , based on the Mirror and the Light is in production.

Wolf Hall was one of the best historical drama's the beeb have ever come up with but to shunt it away on BBC4 was dumb , the performance of Mark Rylance and Clair Foy in particular were outstanding and deserved a bigger stage.

According to Mark the August day they were to shoot the scene of Anne Boleyn losing her head started sunny and warm but as the scene was about to start a squall came in , dark clouds , windy , rain and cold , one take and the scene was done followed by a bright , warm sunny August day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Apparently the follow up to the BBC series Wolf Hall , based on the Mirror and the Light is in production.

Wolf Hall was one of the best historical drama's the beeb have ever come up with but to shunt it away on BBC4 was dumb , the performance of Mark Rylance and Clair Foy in particular were outstanding and deserved a bigger stage.

According to Mark the August day they were to shoot the scene of Anne Boleyn losing her head started sunny and warm but as the scene was about to start a squall came in , dark clouds , windy , rain and cold , one take and the scene was done followed by a bright , warm sunny August day.

It might get an repeat airing on BBC2 at least. I think the BBC have decided the country is now too stupid for drama like that on a main channel.

  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tim2 said:

Dame Hilary Mantel, author, aged 70

47 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Apparently the follow up to the BBC series Wolf Hall , based on the Mirror and the Light is in production.

One of the best historical dramas I have seen. She certainly could weave a story.

  • Like 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

One of the best historical dramas I have seen. She certainly could weave a story.

She researched Wolf Hall for 5 years before putting pen to paper.

  • Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

One of the best historical dramas I have seen. She certainly could weave a story.

I had never seen Mark Rylance on screen but had read his numerous notices for stage performance over the years , Without ever resorting to violence the menace he portrayed in numerous scenes brought Hilary's Cromwell character to life . Another memorable  highlight was  his tussle with Anton Lesser who played Thomas More.

 

Edited by Stirlin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actress Louise Fletcher, best known for One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Jazz saxophonist Pharoah Sanders.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Actress Louise Fletcher, best known for One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Jazz saxophonist Pharoah Sanders.

Cuckoo's Nest is the one film I can watch over and over again - full of great performances, none better than Louise Fletcher as the creepy and terrifying Nurse Ratched.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

always sad when great artists with a massive back catalogue of their own original material pass away - not sure how the music industry will ever recover from this 

  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David Robinson (1944-2022), player for Folly Lane, Swinton, Wigan and GB.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/10/01/in-memoriam-david-robinson/ 

  • Sad 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...