Claim to fame

Before he passed away my Dad was a taxi driver in Leeds, back in 92 he had Alan Langer in his car whilst they were over for the World Cup. In stereotypical fashion, Alfie was drinking a few Castlemaine XXXX in the car, and the empty can is still in the cupboard at my Mums house 27 years later!    

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At a Challenge Cup game between London & Featherstone in 2016 I started a chant that was joined by about 12 people yet managed to get a mention in the Guardian the next day.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2016/mar/23/featherstone-rovers-championship-table

(that game kicked off at 8pm on a Saturday night and was played on the same day that Fev Lions played Lock Lane in the Cup at Post Office Road, so might have been the only game in recent years where Fev didn't take a supporters' bus).

2 hours ago, Southstander13 said:

Before he passed away my Dad was a taxi driver in Leeds, back in 92 he had Alan Langer in his car whilst they were over for the World Cup. In stereotypical fashion, Alfie was drinking a few Castlemaine XXXX in the car, and the empty can is still in the cupboard at my Mums house 27 years later!    

Might still have his DNA on it...we could clone a decent halfback...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

As the camera panned round Tattersfield for the famous 'Another Bloody Sunday', a slightly thinner version of me is clearly visible stood alone on the terrace.

I left Donny a few years later and was a founding member of Redditch Halcyon RLFC (in Worcestershire)

As we grew, we did a lot to promote the game including inviting the by then resurgent Dons to play us. They sent some youngsters down, but I was allowed to fulfil a dream by donning the famous blue and gold of our visitors.

I’m pretty sure I was the only person growing up in Newbury Berkshire in the 70s who was a rugby league fan. I hope in the future I can say I followed Skolars before they became the biggest sports brand in London.  

Went to Australia 2 years ago. I was on bondi beach one afternoon when Sam, Tom and George Burgess turned up and put their towels down about 10 yards from me. Only time in my life I’ve beeb star struck but after a while we ended up chatting for about 10 minutes. Proper down to earth lads. I mentioned that I was going to the south’s game the day after and they said they would leave a couple of tickets behind the reception for me. Which they did. Top lads 

Yummy mummy and obviously a fan of rugby. Good presenter to boot

Came to a batley game for bbc. I messed up though shouting photo angela she said who?! (Tanya arnold) embarrassment was worth it!

IMG-20180617-WA0004.jpg

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Won a contest on the day we set off for Sydney to watch Wigan v Hull in Wollangong to play in the legends game before the main game, had to go to the ground after landing at 7.30 for 10 am and made it with 5 minutes to spare to meet the local paper and watch training and then get kitted out to play in the game, turned up at the ground on Saturday and went into a changing room with Gary Connoly, Joe Lydon, Piggy Riddell, Pat Richards, Gaz Ellis, Mark O'Mealy, Willie Manu, Shaun Timmins, Wendell Sailor Scott Logan, Cameron Phelps and a few others............had an amazing time and here's the team photo for proof, I'm the fat guy in the middle with the red face, amazing experience.........Gaz Ellis said to me on the pitch, Hi I'm Gaz, pleasure to meet you...........what a gent!

Legends Team Photo Wigan vs Hull.jpg

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

I must be the only fan in Rugby League history to turn up for a match 24 hours late.  I was already on a bus from Preston to Blackpool heading for Borough Park when I opened the Sunday People and read a match report for the game I was on my way to see!

The game had been switched to the Saturday because Blackpool FC had decided to play at home on the Sunday.  This was well before the internet and well before football matches were played every day of the week so was very unusual.  Also, living in Preston, I had no access to the Blackpool local press.  

Anyway, I went to the football instead and avoided colleagues at work on the Monday who usually asked about the rugby!

14 minutes ago, CmonTheBorough said:

I was already on a bus from Preston to Blackpool heading for Borough Park when I opened the Sunday People and read a match report for the game I was on my way to see!

?

My dad has supported Fev since 1952. His job took him (and our family) to Leicester in 1968. He joined the local residents association for where we lived and started to spread the gospel of RL in a little village north of Leicester. Part of this missionary work was to organise a trip to Wembley every year for the challenge cup. Each year he’d fill a coach and because the participants knew little about RL he’d allocate the left hand seats to support one team and the right hand side the other. They were asked to dress in their teams colours and make banners / signs (like they did in the 70s)

he tells the tale of how confusing it was for supporters of the finalists on their coaches as they overtook my dads on the motorway and cheered when they saw they supported the their team and then couldn’t work out how when my dads coach passed them later on the right hand side that they’d change allegiance.

so I guess my dads claim to fame is that he created a small enclave of league enthusiasts in Leicestershire for a few years in the 70s

ps no probs with attendance at Wembley for the challenge cup in those days

When I lived in Halifax, Stuart Fielden bought the house next door to us.  That was in the early 2000s when he was at his peak and arguably the best front rower in the world.

When Bradford won the title in 1997 we got all the players to sign a traffic cone at the Top House pub, only Jimmy Lowes refused to sign it.  Sadly no longer have it, was a nice momento.

1 hour ago, Rawschach said:

When I lived in Halifax, Stuart Fielden bought the house next door to us.  That was in the early 2000s when he was at his peak and arguably the best front rower in the world.

When Bradford won the title in 1997 we got all the players to sign a traffic cone at the Top House pub, only Jimmy Lowes refused to sign it.  Sadly no longer have it, was a nice momento.

So he was an ###### when he won as well then. 

On 1/28/2019 at 10:42 AM, deluded pom? said:

We stayed at a hotel in London in 1994. The Aussies who had lost to GB earlier in the day were busy in the bar trying to forget the score line with a little alcoholic help. Big ignorant git Steve Roach shoved me out of the way to get at the bar. If he hadn't had his mates with him I'd have taken him outside and given him a damn good thrashing.

He's not known as "Blocker" for nuffink.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I think Lee Crooks was taking a kick at Elland road in one of the semi finals of the CC and the ball kept falling off the sand due to the wind, there I was in my horrid green coat behind his shoulder as the camera shot showed so I was on the telly for almost two minutes, as a 13/14 year old I thought it was brilliant hahaha.

I always used to stand in the same corner at the Boulevard and a few times the camera for televised games would catch my young mug as a try was scored in the corner.

Going further back, in '78 as a 9 year old I got to go on the coach when the Australian tourists played Hull and got a special programme with all the signatures, don't ask about how I 'lost' it! 

On 1/23/2019 at 11:59 PM, EastLondonMike said:

Maybe not a major one yet, and a little bit tenuous, but will be telling my grand children this one when I'm old and grey (I hope), and it is a FACT. My claim to fame. Technically I was the first Rugby League player to score a try at the London Stadium (Olympic stadium, Stratford). ?

Although friendliest, not full internationals, I have played rugby league for three different nations. 

And, when there were multiple clubs in Denmark, I played for all of them. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived