Brits in the NRL

9 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Tbh unless the salary cap goes up in SL I can see in a few years 20 English players or so in the NRL.

SL produces some very good Forwards and given the salary and lifestyle on offer some will want to go down under. 

Having said this, I don't know how much the cap could go up before SL becomes less competitive. 

2M plus 2 x marquee and home trained allowances seems reasonable. 

I reckon you're right. Here's a back of a fag packet group of players who could do it IMHO. Some won't because of nice salaries/family etc.

Walmsley, Thompson, Makinson, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Knowles, Connor, Taylor, Shaul, Watts, Trueman, McMeeken, Garcia, Julien, McGillvary, Leeming, Watkins, Walker, Johnstone. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BallPlayingProp said:

The Mole also said they were interested in SBW. The Dogs are skint, so make of that what you will. Worth taking with a pinch of salt. I remember reading somewhere that Thompson's dad is a multi millionaire, so I guess chasing dollars is not his priority. If he did try his hand in the NRL, you'd think Nathan Brown would have had a quiet word -  Same with Theo Fages who is rumoured to be on the move...

Although, if I was the Dragons I'd try and get Thompson in as as a replacement for Jammer or (if convicted/banned) JDB.   

I’d be amazed if Bennett wasn’t chasing Thomson he’s seen him close up in camp and he impressed against the kiwis. Although any coach worth his salt should be able to see the potential/ talent in Thomson. 

15 hours ago, BallPlayingProp said:

The Mole also said they were interested in SBW. The Dogs are skint, so make of that what you will. Worth taking with a pinch of salt. I remember reading somewhere that Thompson's dad is a multi millionaire, so I guess chasing dollars is not his priority. If he did try his hand in the NRL, you'd think Nathan Brown would have had a quiet word -  Same with Theo Fages who is rumoured to be on the move...

Although, if I was the Dragons I'd try and get Thompson in as as a replacement for Jammer or (if convicted/banned) JDB.   

He’s never far from the mark, unlike many other journalists.

I don’t think Bob Bruce’s selection is out of the question either.

16 hours ago, BallPlayingProp said:

I reckon you're right. Here's a back of a fag packet group of players who could do it IMHO. Some won't because of nice salaries/family etc.

Walmsley, Thompson, Makinson, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Knowles, Connor, Taylor, Shaul, Watts, Trueman, McMeeken, Garcia, Julien, McGillvary, Leeming, Watkins, Walker, Johnstone. 

Kallum Watkins ?

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Not so sure as I’m too far from it, but I meant the NRL generally.  

Yeah I realise that mate but I think it’s important not to generalise too much about the NRL. It needs to be the right club fit and as you can see from Sam Tomkins, it isn’t always. I don’t think Canterbury would be a good move for Thompson at present, he’d be better off staying at Saints if they were the only alternative 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yeah I realise that mate but I think it’s important not to generalise too much about the NRL. It needs to be the right club fit and as you can see from Sam Tomkins, it isn’t always. I don’t think Canterbury would be a good move for Thompson at present, he’d be better off staying at Saints if they were the only alternative 

He could go to Canberra. Imagine if they sign Williams from Wigan and Thompson from Saints. 6 Englishmen in that side!. 

I agree not all NRL moves are great ones and given the evidence it seems for a Back it will be hard to make it down under (Tomkins, Eden, Sarginson, Turner all struggled to varying degrees) , Even the very good Ryan Hall is going to find it tough once fit to break Into the Roosters backline. 

For Forwards I would say there's at least 20 SL English players who would all be good NRL Forwards and another 20 English and a Frenchman or 2 who would cut it as First 25 squad men.

With Backs, Williams, Fages, Ratchford, Lomax and a Fit TJ stand out as Backs who would make a impact out there. Pace and the ability to change direction at pace is a massive thing for Backs in the NRL. 

Thompson would do well, however I agree Saints is a very good place to be and it would have to be the right move for him to a club that offers something career wise that is a step up. Saints have got a very strong team now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I agree not all NRL moves are great ones and given the evidence it seems for a Back it will be hard to make it down under (Tomkins, Eden, Sarginson, Turner all struggled to varying degrees) 

Apart from Tomkins the rest can hardly be described as top rate, no wonder they struggled.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

For Forwards I would say there's at least 20 SL English players who would all be good NRL Forwards

I’d agree . They mainly just want middle guys especially to do a job of making yards without much complication . As has been mentioned with cooper , do a strong shift and you’ll do ok . Behind the scrum it’s much more of a high bar 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Tomkins, Eden, Sarginson, Turner all struggled to varying degrees.

Tomkins and Sarginson struggled with serious injuries that kept them out of action for a long time, even after they returned to Wigan. I can't recall the details of Eden's time at Brisbane, but I think Turner had some injury problems too.

I just hope Hall gets a chance to show what he can do when he returns to action.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/04/2019 at 19:13, BallPlayingProp said:

That's an odd list. European backs are poorly thought of, older ones even more so. You've as much chance as getting a NRL contract as Lomax, Shaul, Watkins or Walker. Julien, garcia, Leeming...are you mental? McMeekin........

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Herbie Farnworth looks set to make his full debut this weekend.

Darius Boyd is under a huge amount of pressure at the moment for his performances, he looks completely out of sorts.

From being absolutely unimaginable just a little while ago I can easily see him being dropped now.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Darius Boyd is under a huge amount of pressure at the moment for his performances, he looks completely out of sorts.

From being absolutely unimaginable just a little while ago I can easily see him being dropped now.

Herbie has been playing centre the last few games for Norths. I doubt that he will have been playing in that position without Broncos say so. Maybe with an eye to where he’ll end up for Brisbane?? 

3 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Herbie has been playing centre the last few games for Norths. I doubt that he will have been playing in that position without Broncos say so. Maybe with an eye to where he’ll end up for Brisbane?? 

Maybe. They lost Jack Bird for the season and James Roberts moved on to Souths and they were first choice starters at the start of the season.

But they switched Milford to 1 and Boyd to 6 last week against Newcastle and that didn't work out.

All in all they are a bit of a mess at the moment from 1 to 7 the Broncos.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Not actually the perfect situation for Farnworth to make his first grade debut but I guess he will jump at the chance.

• Like 1

Brisbane back line is riddled with injuries. Milford is now out with his knee and Kennar is out for the season after doing his shoulder vs Newcastle. 

I’d expect Farnworth to play on the wing in place of Kennar

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Not actually the perfect situation for Farnworth to make his first grade debut but I guess he will jump at the chance.

I see where you're coming from, but the other side of the coin says there couldn't be a better time. Brisbane have been horrible, which means there is actually no pressure or expectation - and if he performs, a regular spot can easily be his. A lot of great young players are discovered emerging as the shining light in a poor team. This is his chance to do that. Brisbane are absolutely crying out for new blood, so here's hoping he does well!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I see where you're coming from, but the other side of the coin says there couldn't be a better time. Brisbane have been horrible, which means there is actually no pressure or expectation - and if he performs, a regular spot can easily be his. A lot of great young players are discovered emerging as the shining light in a poor team. This is his chance to do that. Brisbane are absolutely crying out for new blood, so here's hoping he does well!

Yep, I can see that side too.  He won't be in the firing line for a poor performance and he could shine, some young backs have really done well in first grade this year (Bronson Xerri at the Sharks and Zac Lomax at the Dragons).

I'm really looking forward to the game, it's funny but we have been talking about Farnworth on here for ages and yet I have never seen the lad play.

Edited by Dunbar
Spelling
  • Like 2