Brits in the NRL

7 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Some of Thompson's tackle misses one-on-one are terrible.  Nothing to do with NRL supermen or the team he plays for and everything to do with his technique.  I do think SL players aren't used to facing strong players in virtually every tackle though. Hardaker was similarly awful at times - Ben Barba ran over him once.

Hopefully it will just take Thompson some time to adjust, and an off-season will help. But don't try to make out those misses aren't his fault. 

Thomspons problem looks to me like he is trying to have a big impact in every tackle, put in the big hit which isnt needed. Morley was exactly the same when he went over, just trying to smash everything in sight. But then its not just english players, SBW was doing it in his first game back a few weeks ago. I`m sure he will settle into the style he needs as he is definitely a good enough player.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I thought the opposite, I thought he looked like he was just trying to control the player that's why he was being pushed off.  Luckily Everyone has a different opinion. 

I agree with this, I think he has looked quite passive in defence with very little big contact (his hit on Pangai in game one was probably the only time I saw him go into the tackle with real intent).

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

That's a real shame. He was having a very good season and was a certainty for a full strength Raiders 17 for me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Agree with this. I think it's taken a bit of time for a lot of English players to make the adjustment - and I include Adrian Morley and Sam Burgess in this - to the consistent demands of the NRL compared to superleague. It's not that the biggest players are bigger or the best teams are much better, it's that more players are big, and more teams are good. It's just a bit more relentless. The only Englishmen who have adapted immediately have been the Canberra guys, which suggests they've been very well coached and prepared. Thompson will be fine, just like Morley was - but it's worth remembering that Morley took a while to really hit his straps.

Agreed.

In respect to size and power, i imagine the polonysian aspect of the nrl takes time to adjust to. Today, 50% of all nrl players are off Pacific Island descent. While in SL, there are Pacific Islanders but they are more playing novelty over here.

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

4 match ban . Tad harsh I’d say . Tamou rowed back like hell but too late 

I'm OK with 4 games and if anything he has got off lightly. Intentional or not, he had his fingers in Tamou's eyes and applied pressure. It is a dangerous and the tackler has a responsibility to avoid it and he deserves a punishment.

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

4 match ban . Tad harsh I’d say . Tamou rowed back like hell but too late 

ben ikin had him banned in the commentary box - hung drawn quartered -sent home and guilty without appeal on the first replay -now i know what a proper "kangaroo court" is - i thought he had a great game in the worst bulldogs side in my memory - much better than over rated garbage like will hopoate or most of the others

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

ben ikon had him banned in the commentary box - hung drawn quartered -sent home and guilty without appeal on the first replay -now i know what a proper "kangaroo court" is - i thought he had a great game in the worst bulldogs side in my memory - much better than over rated garbage like will hopoate or most of the others

I can’t do with Ben Ikin . Thinks he’s some sort of rugby professor and you should hang off his every word but looks like some dorky school kid 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I can’t do with Ben Ikin . Thinks he’s some sort of rugby professor and you should hang off his every word but looks like some dorky school kid 

spot on

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, 7723 said:

Just seen Ryan Sutton won the coaches award at Canberra. Well deserved imo, he’s  had a great season.

Wouldn’t argue he’s made massive strides this year. Only thing I’d say is Whitehead always seems to be over looked for these awards but he’s been brilliant again this season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Wouldn’t argue he’s made massive strides this year. Only thing I’d say is Whitehead always seems to be over looked for these awards but he’s been brilliant again this season. 

Whitehead has definitely won the coaches award for Raiders player of the year once and he may have won it twice. 

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm OK with 4 games and if anything he has got off lightly. Intentional or not, he had his fingers in Tamou's eyes and applied pressure. It is a dangerous and the tackler has a responsibility to avoid it and he deserves a punishment.

Yep, agree with that. Pretty much my view on Makinson’s grab of Watts’ jewels. 

8 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Ben Ikin gallantly put his name forward to be CEO of the Broncos.  Despite having zero experience as far as I can tell.

So you can't apply for a job you've never done before? I'm not saying he'd be the best candidate, but he's got history as a commercial manager in property/construction, spent years as a director on the cowboys and now the QRL boards, has been a media manager for the qld origin team, etc. I think that's all relevant experience.

Bull.  The Broncos is a publicly listed company.  Ikin's "CV" would be binned by any other public company without an interview. Most of those jobs you quote Ikin has got through RL links. What the Bronocs need is a serious businessman who can make sure the cash keeps flowing, not yet another former player with delusions of grandeur.  The role of the CEO with respect to rugby is purely about appointing the right senior coaching staff and managing the cap. 

8 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Bull.  The Broncos is a publicly listed company.  Ikin's "CV" would be binned by any other public company without an interview. Most of those jobs you quote Ikin has got through RL links. What the Bronocs need is a serious businessman who can make sure the cash keeps flowing, not yet another former player with delusions of grandeur.  The role of the CEO with respect to rugby is purely about appointing the right senior coaching staff and managing the cap. 

I never said he should get the job. I said he does have some relevant experience.

On 29/09/2020 at 17:41, graveyard johnny said:

ben ikin had him banned in the commentary box - hung drawn quartered -sent home and guilty without appeal on the first replay -now i know what a proper "kangaroo court" is - i thought he had a great game in the worst bulldogs side in my memory - much better than over rated garbage like will hopoate or most of the others

I was thinking about this the other day - to what extent do the commentators’ emphasis affect the disciplinary? Say, if you compare Sky’s reaction to Smithies’ indiscretions against their ignoring Walmsley’s attack on Wells’ knee, would that be a factor in the process? Surely they aren’t influenced? 

39 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I only saw snippets of the game this morning but George Williams looked very good. Couldn’t have asked for a better first season...

He had a stellar game, perhaps MOM in my opinion.

Whitehead didn't have his best game but came up with an important try.

Bateman doesn't seem to have hit his straps this year, compared with last. Not having the same impact, but still very solid. I think the long lay-off with injury and lack of pre-season are the cause and hopefully he'll be back to his best next year.

Shame no Sutton in the finals, as he was looking really good and strong. Canberra lacked the go-forward without him today, and could be a concern against better teams

• Like 1

Williams was very good , two tries and a hand in two or three more . Great relationship he has with Wighton .  Whitehead made a couple of uncharacteristic errors but he’s always in the action and got his try . Bateman was quiet by his standards but efficient .  What a difference having crowds makes as well to games . I still don’t know why we can do all kinds of things inside but we can’t have a percentage of socially distant crowds at sports outside here . Seems quite irrational and it’ll keep some sports afloat 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1