Brits in the NRL

On 05/08/2023 at 07:47, graveyard johnny said:

Herbie limping from the field in what looks like some considerable pain as I type!!!!!!!!!!

He's playing right now and looks fine, thankfully.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He's playing right now and looks fine, thankfully.

when i saw you had quoted me Futtocks I thought it was his obituary!

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Herbie too good - running backwards for his try today after breaking a last-ditch tackle!

The Broncos look super with threats all over the park. Entertaining to watch. Old Reynolds and young Walsh are in their pomp.

The ball play and execution was lovely to watch as they ran in try after try. I wonder whether they can make it to the GF this year...

7 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Herbie too good - running backwards for his try today after breaking a last-ditch tackle!

The Broncos look super with threats all over the park. Entertaining to watch. Old Reynolds and young Walsh are in their pomp.

The ball play and execution was lovely to watch as they ran in try after try. I wonder whether they can make it to the GF this year...

The Broncos have turned their form around to a dazzling extent, when you consider how bloody useless they've been for the last few seasons. That also applies to the NZ Warriors, except with "seasons" replaced by "decades".

I still think that, in a pinch, the Panthers' defence is less porous, which could be the difference in the big game.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Broncos have turned their form around to a dazzling extent, when you consider how bloody useless they've been for the last few seasons. That also applies to the NZ Warriors, except with "seasons" replaced by "decades".

I still think that, in a pinch, the Panthers' defence is less porous, which could be the difference in the big game.

I agree. I think getting to the last four would still constitute a good season for the Broncs. If they play well and link like they did today, they are well capable of winning the comp IMO.

I can see the Broncos winning it this year, they have all the ingredients. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

And what do the Bronx and Warriors have in common this year? Brits in the coaching box. It's clearly Agar's influence that's turned the NZers around, not to mention Briers at Brisbane.😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/07/2023 at 19:24, graveyard johnny said:

Farnworth has made a huge error jumping the gun and signing for the dolphins next season - the broncos are building something really good- something he should be part of with Cobbo -Walsh -Staggs and the rest for the next few years

Hard to argue with this on the face of it 

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I wonder if he’ll still play for France now he’s living over in Australia 

Given he turned it down last season I don't think we're likely to see Chan in a French Jersey anytime soon.

Additionally, as has been examined once before on the forum some time ago, the peculiarities of our residency eligibility criteria would seem to indicate that he's not technically eligible for France anymore. 

Edited by UTK

Was watching Dom Young on the Matty Johns show after the NRL games this morning and his teammate Adam Elliott was on as well and he called out how Brian McDermott had introduced new systems and transformed their defence this year.

Add in Richard Agar at the Warriors coaching their edges and Briers at the Bronco's managing their attack and the coaching Brits in the NRL have done very well this year.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

So, after a full season of regular NRL, how did we think the Brits went this year.  This my take.

Outstanding

Herbie Farnworth

Dominic Young

Both have had stellar seasons showing their undoubted talents week in week out.  Could easily be in with a shout of Centre and Winger of the year.

Very good

Tom Burgess

Souths are just not the same team without him - he lays the attacking foundation for them week after week with metres and post contact metres.  It is no surprise that a lot of Souths effective shift plays follow a Burgess run and a retreating defence.

Solid

Elliot Whitehead

John Bateman

Neither reached the highs of previous years but one of the first names on the team sheets for the Raiders and Tigers respectively.

Below expectations

Ryan Sutton

Kruise Leeming

Sutton in particular was probably looking for a bigger year after leaving a solid stint at the Raiders.  He will be disappointed that he didn't cement a regular spot.  Leeming is probably a bit harsh after a mid year transfer but he wasn't selected enough to warrant being in a category above. 

Poor

Oliver Gildart

Never got out of Queensland Cup to start for the Dolphins and left towards the end of the season.

Unlucky

Luke Thompson

Bailey Hodgson

Josh Hodgson

All three suffered from long term injuries in the year.

(p.s. I'm not going to bother with a long conversation on who counts as a Brit.  These are the players that left their UK careers to go down under.  Apologies if I have missed anyone)

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So, after a full season of regular NRL, how did we think the Brits went this year.  This my take.

Outstanding

Herbie Farnworth

Dominic Young

Both have had stellar seasons showing their undoubted talents week in week out.  Could easily be in with a shout of Centre and Winger of the year.

Very good

Tom Burgess

Souths are just not the same player without him - he lays the attacking foundation for them week after week with metres and post contact metres.  It is no surprise that a lot of Souths effective shift plays follow a Burgess run and a retreating defence.

Solid

Elliot Whitehead

John Bateman

Neither reached the highs of previous years but one of the first names on the team sheets for the Raiders and Tigers respectively.

Below expectations

Ryan Sutton

Kruise Leeming

Sutton in particular was probably looking for a bigger year after leaving a solid stint at the Raiders.  He will be disappointed that he didn't cement a regular spot.  Leeming is probably a bit harsh after a mid year transfer but he wasn't selected enough to warrant being in a category above. 

Poor

Oliver Gildart

Never got out of Queensland Cup to start for the Dolphins and left towards the end of the season.

Unlucky

Luke Thompson

Bailey Hodgson

Josh Hodgson

All three suffered from long term injuries in the year.

(p.s. I'm not going to bother with a long conversation on who counts as a Brit.  These are the players that left their UK careers to go down under.  Apologies if I have missed anyone)

I think that is fair enough. For me I wouldn't say Leeming was below expectations as I didn't expect much from him anyway and thought it was one of those strange NRL signings that I couldn't really understand. 

• Like 1

Herbie and Dom Young doing outstandingly well . Herbie is pretty much rock solid in every aspect and is giving nothing to any other centre in the comp . I actually think Dom can improve a fair bit in some areas but is coming on a bomb and his yardage carries and especially finishing is great . Those two finishes from yesterday were off the scale brilliant . Having those guys in our backline is very exciting . I think Whitehead is on the slide and Bateman did ok but not much more in a terrible side , but excuses for him in that mob . He’s a real trier though . Although both should be looking over their shoulders internationally . I thought Leeming did ok tbh with the chances he got , he’s a very good signing for next year . Tom Burgess is still playing to a high level 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The 2023 Players’ Dream Team for the NRL competition is:

• Fullback: Reece Walsh
  • Wingers: Dallin Watene-Zelezniak & Brian To’o
  • Centres: Herbie Farnworth & Stephen Crichton
  • Five-Eighth: Cameron Munster
  • Halfback: Shaun Johnson
  • Props: Payne Haas & Addin Fonua-Blake
  • Hooker: Harry Grant
  • Second Rowers: Haumole Olakau'atu & Liam Martin
  • Lock: Patrick Carrigan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Herbie Farnworth really is something else isn't he. Obviously the likes of Walsh, Haas and Carrigan are the most commonly lauded in this Broncos side but Herbie is in that same category when it comes to the centre position. 

IMO Farnworth gets selected in every RL side in the World at centre, and that includes the Kangaroos. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UTK said:

Herbie Farnworth really is something else isn't he. Obviously the likes of Walsh, Haas and Carrigan are the most commonly lauded in this Broncos side but Herbie is in that same category when it comes to the centre position. 

IMO Farnworth gets selected in every RL side in the World at centre, and that includes the Kangaroos. 

Agreed. I have no doubt he would be in the Kangaroo 13 this year if he was an Aussie. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, UTK said:

throwing his career away signing for the dolphins instead of been part of the young broncos dynasty- just like addo carr and kikau have done at the dogs 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile