Sign in to follow this  
hunsletgreenandgold

Eddie Hemings hanging up the mic

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Breaking News on Sky - will retire next month. 

He's had his critics but I actually have a soft spot for Eddie. Who next? Would love to get Andrew Voss over as lead commentator.

I like Eddie, I think a lot of the stick was unfair. We probably heard a bit too much of him, but I thought he was decent.

• Like 10

Who will replace him? Bill Arthur?

Please not Rod Studd.

Edited by Manfred Mann

Eddie is great when he is purely commentating and not giving his opinion. He’s made some of the best moments in Super League even better with his commentary. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

Who will replace him? Bill Arthur?

Please not Rod Studd.

Neither - it really does need to be a new lead commentator. Nothing against Bill Arthur but he suits being a reporter/interviewer a lot more than lead commentator and yeah.....definitely not Rod Studd.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Eddie is great when he is purely commentating and not giving his opinion. He’s made some of the best moments in Super League even better with his commentary. 

Absolutely this. "Wide to West" is iconic, but let's not allow that to cloud that Eddie probably should have followed Stevo out of the door. A big chance for Sky to modernise the whole presentation now.

• Like 2

About time..

Get Jamie Jones on board then Jon wilkin..

Some commentators who are relevant.

Hope Phil Clarke is next to go followed by rod studds. 

watch this space for the main commentator to be female, that's how its all going these days

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

watch this space for the main commentator to be female, that's how its all going these days

Amanda Wilkinson has been match summariser on Radio Manchester quite a few times over the last couple of years and has done a grand job of it.

how old is eddie? all seems a bit sudden, why start the new season then make this announcement a few games in?

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Amanda Wilkinson has been match summariser on Radio Manchester quite a few times over the last couple of years and has done a grand job of it.

at least they wont have to pay her as much as the blokes (al get mi coat)

• Haha 2

Just now, Mr Plow said:

Strange how he’s not going at the end of the season.

I was just thinking that. Would have expected the end of the season, going out on a high with the Grand Final.

I've always liked him ,but his standards have slipped noticeably this season so probably time to go

He’s been a huge part of Rugby League for years, the voice of the sport alongside Stevo, the criticism he’s received has been over the top. He has been past his best for a while but the level of abuse he’s received is uncalled for. 

Think it points towards Car Crash Carney getting the job, a man who struggles to read fixtures without stuttering and mixing up teams, venues and players. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

how old is eddie? all seems a bit sudden, why start the new season then make this announcement a few games in?

Won’t speculate on his current health but he did have, IIRC, a small and successful fight with prostate cancer a few years ago. I wouldn’t begrudge him from wanting to spend more time with relatives and friends regardless of his age, he’s given a lot of service to the game. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Think it points towards Car Crash Carney getting the job, a man who struggles to read fixtures without stuttering and mixing up teams, venues and players. 

No chance.

• Like 1

Please take the rest  . Stale , poor quality  repetitive now with totally unhilarious banter . Need a totally fresh start and great chance to reboot the coverage 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Hearing Mick Morgan is tipped as the new Sky numero uno behind the mic.

I carn speyk.

Mick Morgan and JJB 

• Like 1

It'll probably be Bill Arthur until the end of the year. Then after that who knows. Hopefully it's a rugby league commentator such as from radio rather than a generic football commentator that Sky parachute in.

Hopefully Sky can use Eddie's and Neville Smith's departure at Easter to change the coverage.

Specifically, getting Carney off presenting and on to commentary and bringing in a replacement presenter, bringing Tony Rae back as a pundit and decluttering the commentary box!

Eddie has given near enough his entire working life to the sport, has commentated often memorably on historic moments and I hope he enjoys a well-earned retirement.

• Like 1

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: Here Comes the Money? LINK: https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/05/here-comes-money.html

I'd like to see a complete refresh of everything

But I fear we'll simply get more of the same old - Bill Arthur with Terry and Barry ?

• Sad 1

And hopefully as part of the reboot realise you don’t need a cast of thousands to commentate on a game 

• Like 6